Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.3 - 07/05/24  (Read 270453 times)

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Hiver Swarm - V1.1.2 - 03/27/24
« Reply #615 on: May 07, 2024, 06:33:46 PM »

I've not really had any trouble with those but my fleet tends to use lots of fighters and beam weapons.  Are you running with a low tech fleet with few fighters?
A valid strategy. Beams have the advantage of doubling as semi-pd weapons and will engage fighters when a ship is not in range. Having the long range damage potential of bombers/heavy fighters does well as a counter to their fast ships or interceptors for their drones. I have seen multiple strategies on reddit on how people fight them but that is my go-to.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 07, 2024, 09:29:30 PM »

I find the CFT Cutters on a ship with Velocity Boosters upgrades often work very well at mauling lightly armored phase ships.  Also the PRV Fräsare beams combined with the 4-D Lensing mod simply annihilates swarms of most fighters.  I also love the Legacy of Arkgenesis Heavy Plasma Drivers for forcing phase ships to stay hidden until they eventually run out of flux capacity and then get quickly beamed to death as they are a rapid fire beam weapon and will pop them immediately when they leave phase space.

ChronosMrk1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 08, 2024, 03:43:21 AM »

Imo I feel like the balancing really need some work. The hiver phase ship is a real pain to fight against. If you have no ships faster than 165 that can concentrate fire continually then you're *** out of luck. The can run and come back as much as then want to. And even if you are able to make a clean easy victory in a one vs one the fight itself will still take a long while as they can sponge up damage with ease regardless of how big the ship is. I personally don't find them fun to fight for this reason: even if you do know you will win cleanly the fight can drag on for ages.

Rn I got into a fight with a +43% xp difficulty and I've tried the fight again and again for the past hour or so. The sprites for all the ships look great though. I don't have anything against bugs but I still use the non-bug version because I really like the unique look of the ships.

Edit: I didn't apply the vplus file and just editing the invasion stuff. I'll try with that
My mistake I did have the vplus file enabled.
I've not really had any trouble with those but my fleet tends to use lots of fighters and beam weapons.  Are you running with a low tech fleet with few fighters?
Yea I have maybe one or two fighter bays in my fleet rn. I'm playing with the debt start and I'm really struggling with money. I'll try and get a few more carriers.

ChronosMrk1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 08, 2024, 03:54:20 AM »

Imo I feel like the balancing really need some work. The hiver phase ship is a real pain to fight against. If you have no ships faster than 165 that can concentrate fire continually then you're *** out of luck. The can run and come back as much as then want to. And even if you are able to make a clean easy victory in a one vs one the fight itself will still take a long while as they can sponge up damage with ease regardless of how big the ship is. I personally don't find them fun to fight for this reason: even if you do know you will win cleanly the fight can drag on for ages.

Rn I got into a fight with a +43% xp difficulty and I've tried the fight again and again for the past hour or so. The sprites for all the ships look great though. I don't have anything against bugs but I still use the non-bug version because I really like the unique look of the ships.

Edit: I didn't apply the vplus file and just editing the invasion stuff. I'll try with that
Thank you for the feedback, I am glad you found the optional files to adjust the difficulty. If you still run into issues, please let me know and we can discuss. Oh and thank you for the kind word regarding the alternate ship pack. I spent a lot of time making them but they get so few comments that it makes me smile when someone makes a positive one :)

Honestly, the ship sprites for all your mods look sick af and is the main reason I use them. Btw how can I remove the "tips" for JYD? I see them all the time for some reason and I'd much rather to see something useful. Plus my load and save times are pure ass so I end up staring at "[JYD] Hello there you bipedal, oxygen breathing carbon form" or "[JYD] I do find birds interestin, don't you?" For a while and it irrationally pisses me off the more I look at it lol.

Edit: i did have the v plus file applied apparently
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 05:20:22 AM by ChronosMrk1 »

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 08, 2024, 04:50:57 AM »

Honestly, the ship sprites for all your mods look sick af and is the main reason I use them.
Why thank you, I get a lot of negative comments about my kit bashing but it is the best I am able to produce to get my ideas implemented. That is quite the ringing endorsement and I appreciate it.
Btw how can I remove the "tips" for JYD? I see them all the time for some reason and I'd much rather to see something useful. Plus my load and save times are pure ass so I end up staring at "[JYD] Hello there you bipedal, oxygen breathing carbon form" or "[JYD] I do find birds interestin, don't you?" For a while and it irrationally pisses me off the more I look at it lol.
Heh ok, I did add even more a couple patches ago to give a better chance of seeing something different but I get how it could be annoying. You can edit them or delete them with no consequences by doing the following:
Navigate to the JYD mod folder, then to data\strings. There you will see a file labeled tips.json and you can either open it and edit out the ones you do not like, or add even more :),  or just delete that file all together.

I am working on a JYD update atm and I will add those instructions to the forum page as I am sure you are not the only one that finds birds boring. ;)

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 08, 2024, 02:22:08 PM »

Spoiler

My mistake I did have the vplus file enabled.
Yea I have maybe one or two fighter bays in my fleet rn. I'm playing with the debt start and I'm really struggling with money. I'll try and get a few more carriers.
[close]

I will say that fighting the Hivers is very hard until you're well equipped.  For the most part in the early game I did whatever I could to avoid direct conflict, only going to Hiver invasions where they might lose in order to salvage their weapons that sell extremely well, and making money as fast as possible.  One thing that I find works very well is looking for those "concerned" traders in bars and doing their transport missions.  Some of these can be very, very lucrative if you use a story point to increase the pay.  The nice thing about these is that they don't require any combat and the story point use provides 100% increased experience, you just need to keep some high capacity cargo and sometimes fuel haulers in your fleet.  The Carter's Free Traders Carrack class transport is an awesome choice as they can carry a lot of cargo and fuel if you build in the hullmods as it's already a combat freighter so it doesn't need Militarized Hull to prevent increased logistics costs of the cargo and fuel capacity hullmods.  As soon as I could I acquired 5 of those and built-in Auxiliary Fuel Tanks and Expanded Cargo Holds and that has given me enough capacity to do almost every single transport missions I've been offered in my current game.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 08, 2024, 03:05:47 PM »

I will say that fighting the Hivers is very hard until you're well equipped.  For the most part in the early game I did whatever I could to avoid direct conflict, only going to Hiver invasions where they might lose in order to salvage their weapons that sell extremely well, and making money as fast as possible.  One thing that I find works very well is looking for those "concerned" traders in bars and doing their transport missions.  Some of these can be very, very lucrative if you use a story point to increase the pay.  The nice thing about these is that they don't require any combat and the story point use provides 100% increased experience, you just need to keep some high capacity cargo and sometimes fuel haulers in your fleet.  The Carter's Free Traders Carrack class transport is an awesome choice as they can carry a lot of cargo and fuel if you build in the hullmods as it's already a combat freighter so it doesn't need Militarized Hull to prevent increased logistics costs of the cargo and fuel capacity hullmods.  As soon as I could I acquired 5 of those and built-in Auxiliary Fuel Tanks and Expanded Cargo Holds and that has given me enough capacity to do almost every single transport missions I've been offered in my current game.
Thank you for the follow up, I enjoy reading how players come up with strategies to counter the threat the Hivers pose. I appreciate the shout out to CFT and CJHM. All my mods are sort of inter-connected and work well with each other. TTSC and JYD have assets that counter the strengths of HIVER as well.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 08, 2024, 03:14:22 PM »

Indeed!  I just haven't used as many JYD ships as I generally prefer ships that can be made to have decently strong shields.  Some definitely can though!  And some of their weapons are awesome! 

I also really love the alternate look of the Hivers ships but I've only seen them by going through the mod's files as when I tried installing the alternate ship pack my game crashed immediately saying files were missing.  I think I'll re-download the mod and see if there was possible corruption of any of those files that caused the crash.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 08, 2024, 03:18:04 PM »

Indeed!  I just haven't used as many JYD ships as I generally prefer ships that can be made to have decently strong shields.  Some definitely can though!  And some of their weapons are awesome! 

I also really love the alternate look of the Hivers ships but I've only seen them by going through the mod's files as when I tried installing the alternate ship pack my game crashed immediately saying files were missing.  I think I'll re-download the mod and see if there was possible corruption of any of those files that caused the crash.
Hmm, ok please get back to me and let me know how it goes. I know you are an experienced mod user but ensure you follow the instructions, maybe something was not done correctly. I just uploaded a JYD update so I can spend some time working on HIVER if it is still an issue.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 08, 2024, 03:25:00 PM »

Hmm, ok please get back to me and let me know how it goes. I know you are an experienced mod user but ensure you follow the instructions, maybe something was not done correctly. I just uploaded a JYD update so I can spend some time working on HIVER if it is still an issue.

Will do!  Sadly I won't be able to try until at least the weekend.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 09, 2024, 09:34:57 AM »

Will do!  Sadly I won't be able to try until at least the weekend.
Thank you, there is no rush I just appreciate players observations and opinions. Look forward to reading w/e you post when you have the time.

Hexallium

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 09, 2024, 10:52:47 PM »

Hi, Dazs.
The blueprint/weapon package icons for your mods have been an issue that didn't match the vanilla game package. Also didn't dim out when the package have been learned.
Are the package icons going to be fixed in the future update?

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 09, 2024, 11:57:04 PM »

Hi, Dazs.
The blueprint/weapon package icons for your mods have been an issue that didn't match the vanilla game package. Also didn't dim out when the package have been learned.
Hello Hexallium thank you for checking in. I am unsure of the exact nature of your question so I hope you do not mind if I ask some questions for clarity.
When you state mods, what that a typo or are you referring to all my mods?
In what way are they not matching versus vanilla?

I ask because this is a first for me, the BP icons are fairly standard though there are some variations. I have not changed them since implementation so maybe something changed in the code over the years I was unaware of so more detail is helpful. I will try and recreate your concern about the dimming on my end in the mean time.

Hexallium

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 10, 2024, 12:26:00 PM »

Hi, Dazs.
Hello Hexallium thank you for checking in. I am unsure of the exact nature of your question so I hope you do not mind if I ask some questions for clarity.
When you state mods, what that a typo or are you referring to all my mods?
In what way are they not matching versus vanilla?

I ask because this is a first for me, the BP icons are fairly standard though there are some variations. I have not changed them since implementation so maybe something changed in the code over the years I was unaware of so more detail is helpful. I will try and recreate your concern about the dimming on my end in the mean time.

The blueprint package in the image above show your JYD is different from other blueprint package. It isn't tilted at an angle and if the blueprint package have been readed it will not become dim.

Dazs

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 10, 2024, 03:09:02 PM »

Ah OK thank you for the visual. I use an older version of the BP icon which has transitioned to the slanted. It was a small change, I guess I just never got around to it. I will look into it and see what I can do to transition them as I update my mods. I should have some time this weekend to look into it.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44