Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.1 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options  (Read 271523 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.8 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2021, 05:16:02 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.2.9
Compatible with previous versions

Updated compatibility to Starsector version 0.95.1a
Fixed a version checking issue that prevented loading with Starsector 0.95.1a

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.8 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2022, 08:13:45 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.3.0
Compatible with previous versions

Fixed the possibility of incorrect difficulty stars on the deployment screen when scaled resolution is used
Added features/options:
  • "loseReputationForBeingFriendlyWithEnemies":true - About once per month you may lose up to 10 relation with a random faction due to having high relation with one of their enemies
  • "disableVanillaDifficultyBonus":true - Disables the "additional XP due to overall battle difficulty" bonus, which will stack with the ruthless sector bonus if enabled
Changed the formula for difficulty multipliers, which now range between 0% and 600%. See options file for details
Changed: The XP/difficulty multiplier is now displayed in the fleet encounter dialog screen (just like the vanilla XP bonus) rather than as a notification
Changed: Settings are now re-loaded each time a save is loaded.
Removed "officerXpMult" setting due to the new vanilla setting: "officerXPRequiredMult"

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.8 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2022, 11:46:02 PM »

I'm actually considering splitting that feature off into another mod, along with a similar new feature. But for now, no. You can always edit the settings file to disable the other features. Let me know if you need any help with that.

Still waiting for this :)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.3.0 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2022, 12:01:56 AM »

Still waiting for this :)
Ah... sorry about that. Something Alex said a while back made me think that the "similar new feature" I was considering might make it into vanilla, so I decided against the split, for now. I'm often tempted to publish parallel versions of my mods with alternate configurations, but it'd just be too much of a pain to maintain, ya know? For like a year or two I've been considering setting up a config/options template mod that demonstrates how to overwrite settings*, but alas, I laze.
*Not everyone can have fancy GUI based settings...

Nitecom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2022, 03:18:53 AM »

Anyone else experienced the below error? Seems to be specifically when I try to loot a research station in a particular system, can replicate the issue every time I try to loot it. Other research stations have been looted with no issues. Looking at the error it makes me think there's an automated battle due to happen.

New game
Recently installed mods that may effect this are :-
Unknown Skies
Legacy of Arkgneisis
Seeker_UC
Starship Legends
Luddic_Enhancement

Edit: Downloaded latest version of starship legends after seeing there was a new release, deleted old folder and replaced with new updated version but still getting the same error.
Edit 2: Didn't realise there was also an updated version of Ruthless Sector downloaded and replaced old version and this has now resolved the issue.

248011 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: ruthless_sector.ModPlugin.createSalvageDefenderInteraction()Lcom/fs/starfarer/api/impl/campaign/rulecmd/BaseCommandPlugin;
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: ruthless_sector.ModPlugin.createSalvageDefenderInteraction()Lcom/fs/starfarer/api/impl/campaign/rulecmd/BaseCommandPlugin;
   at starship_legends.campaign.rulecmd.SL_SalvageDefenderInteraction.execute(SL_SalvageDefenderInteraction.java:22)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.rules.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.execute(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.rules.Object.runScript(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.FireBest.applyRule(FireBest.java:106)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.FireBest.execute(FireBest.java:51)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.rules.oOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.execute(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.rules.Object.runScript(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.FireBest.applyRule(FireBest.java:106)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.FireBest.execute(FireBest.java:51)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.FireBest.fire(FireBest.java:57)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.RuleBasedInteractionDialogPluginImpl.fireBes t(RuleBasedInteractionDialogPluginImpl.java:177)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.RuleBasedInteractionDialogPluginImpl.optionS elected(RuleBasedInteractionDialogPluginImpl.java:210)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.o0Oo$1.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.B.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Q.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.v.dispatchEventsToChildren(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.v.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.B.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.N.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.o0Oo.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
248187 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.public  - Creating streaming player for music with id [scavenge_music_v1.ogg]
248187 [Thread-9] INFO  sound.OooO  - Playing music with id [scavenge_music_v1.ogg]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 03:32:46 AM by Nitecom »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2022, 08:46:45 PM »

Edit 2: Didn't realise there was also an updated version of Ruthless Sector downloaded and replaced old version and this has now resolved the issue.
Glad you got it sorted out. Sorry for the trouble!

TheHZDev

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Sir, can you allow me to translate this mod into Chinese and update it to the Chinese Startsector Forum(https://fossic.org)?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Of course! Thanks for translating!  ;D

TheHZDev

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Of course! Thanks for translating!  ;D

Sir, I have translated and posted it to this, https://www.fossic.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=5253 .
Thank you very much!

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hi,

Really like this mod.  Cannot remember the last time I played without it.  I like the .ini file allowing some of the difficulty to be tweakable, for things like the hyperspace remnant generation frequency and number.  Which on defaults settings are, hoofah.

The hit to income a particular has so many effects which make a lot of gameplay sense.  However there is a particular chain of impact on the mid-game that I could wish for some remediation.

Less income means:

a) less officers, or even none
b) when two fleets go to battle, the officer count/quality of each side is compared to determine how the deployment points pool is divided between each side.  According to what I've read, officer count/quality has the single biggest impact.  https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=21468.0

That impact can be huge.  As in:  enemy starts the battle with something like 16 ships and I have....eight ships comprising half the weight.  Even when I had a huge tonnage advantage. 

Mid-game is where I find myself able to challenge Luddic Path bases who are messing with my colonies.  The deployment point disparity though, because I have a single officer, means that I should not have stepped one toe in that unofficial Luddic Path sector.  A smaller Luddic Path fleet full of d-mods comes burning in on me...I didn't mind but then...I see I no chance to deploying anything comparable. I suspect that the AI can calculate the deployment ratio ahead of time.

Anyway I will work around it in the current game by:  going on a hiring spree now that I have colonies to pay for the officers.  In future games, I will increase income by the salary of N officers so that I can get more done in the mid-game.

One wacky idea:  Ruthless Sector gets a setting:  minLogisticsOfficersAtStart:  2   

// Two officers who can only be assigned to non combatant ship classes.   The purpose of Logistics Officers in Ruthless Sector:  they are there to counteract the deployment pool penalty until the player has enough income to replace them with "combat officers".

...This idea assumes that Starsector would consider any officer in my fleet towards the deployment pool calculation...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 06:32:21 PM by eidolad »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah, I'm still not happy with the whole situation with officer management and deployment point calculation, and you're right that ruthless sector makes the situation worse by removing so much free income.  I still think the best solution is to rework how officers are paid somehow.  I complained to Alex about it a while after we talked about it in this thread, and even made a prototype mod that essentially allows officers to be "stored."  There were some kinks I couldn't work out with that experiment though, so I abandoned it.  this_is_a_username released Officer Extension at about the same time, although it doesn't seem to be being maintained and I don't know how stable it is.

Honestly, I've decided to set the whole issue aside for the moment in the hope that Alex will improve things, which I think is likely (especially in regard to deployment calculation, since it seems to get a lot of hate).

Anyway, sorry I couldn't offer a satisfying/immediate solution, but I'm glad you're enjoying the mod in spite of its limitations  :)

One wacky idea:  Ruthless Sector gets a setting:  minLogisticsOfficersAtStart:  2
Unfortunately, this would be unreasonably difficult to properly implement due to the need to communicate how it works to players, and Starsector's interface is just too restrictive for that to work well.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

hi appreciate the reply, all that makes sense.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

Hi being math-challenged English major who just happens to full stack in real life...I'm not sure how to tweak "SHIP STRENGTH ESTIMATION" params in the .ini file, or even whether it makes sense to play with any of these.

My objective:   With default battle size, I'm still finding that, even with eight officers, I'm always seriously behind on the deployment points comparison when dealing with large, bounty, or [REDACTED]/special fleets.

Example:  200K bounty:  1 BB, 2 CA, 2 CV, 6 DD, bunch of frigates  (they have two carriers)

I come in with 1BC, 5 CA, 4 CV, 5 DD, bunch of frigates.  (I have four carriers).  I seriously outweigh these guys and have a full officer complement.  Including an elite [REDACTED] quest mod cruiser with an incredible officer, and two IBB super-frigates.

Virtually all of their ships are initially deployed.  I get something like 1 CA, 1 CV, 4 DD, 3-4 frigates to start.  I'm literally kiting backwards away from clusters of ships chasing, blasting whomever I careen past, and staying alive.  I whittle the enemy down and win by deploying my entire complement of combat ships well past the initial CR decay time...but had to recover eight of my own.  It was...a mess, and a close but great battle that I think should have not started like this.

Perhaps some of disparity comes from "SHIP STRENGTH ESTIMATION" section in the .ini?

In any case:  what are suggested tweaks to the params in this section, if messing with this section is even on the right track, and look to soften the blow somewhat to gain some deployment "parity"?

"dModFactorForEnemyShips":0.1,
   "sModFactorForEnemyShips":0.1,
   "skillFactorForEnemyShips":0.1,
   "dModFactorForPlayerShips":0.1,
   "sModFactorForPlayerShips":0.0,
   "skillFactorForPlayerShips":0.0,
   "strengthIncreasePerPlayerLevel":0.07,

I'll admit right now that I have a roster of rookie captains...with one or two combat skills for the most part.  But that's the reality of most of the game.  My captains seem to level up slower or is it me?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ruthless sector doesn't adjust the deployment point calculation in any way. The only thing it estimates ship/fleet strength for is to estimate how difficult the battle was, which it uses to adjust the amount of xp earned from the battle.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile

thanks...I will see about upping my officers
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16