Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.1 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options  (Read 266967 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ruthless Sector 1.2.8

Updated compatibility to Starsector version 0.95a

This is a barebones compatibility update for Starsector 0.95a. Ruthless Sector should be stable, but it has not been updated to account for the changes in the new version of the game.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile

Thank you, updating it now as I'm making some mod lists to recommend :)
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

tiago_gomestrf

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Sundog could you make a standlone mod of the redacted in the hyperspace?I just want that feature.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Thank you, updating it now as I'm making some mod lists to recommend :)
You might want to consider leaving this one off for now. I mean, it works, but it doesn't quite fit properly with some things about 0.95a. Also, I'm pretty sure there's a bug with deployment difficulty stars when using scaled resolution.

Sundog could you make a standlone mod of the redacted in the hyperspace?I just want that feature.
I'm actually considering splitting that feature off into another mod, along with a similar new feature. But for now, no. You can always edit the settings file to disable the other features. Let me know if you need any help with that.

DOKER

• Ensign
  • Onslaught goes BRRRRRRR
    • View Profile

real good to see this mod updated! quick question is this mod still compatible with starship legends?
Dumplings with sour cream is true food of the gods!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yup, ruthless sector is compatible with starship legends. I did remove the integration features between the two though, so starship legends no longer has an alternate settings file that will be used only when ruthless sector is active, and it will no longer use ruthless sector's ship strength calculations.

Legendsmith

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Good to see this is still getting updates. It's my understanding that raiding is currently very OP in the early game and since part of the point of this mod is to 'smooth out' any particular unusually prime strategy, that could be addressed in the next major update. Looking forward to it regardless.
Also, why was the special integration removed? Was that just for the barebones compatibility?

Jaghaimo

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I'm actually considering splitting that feature off into another mod, along with a similar new feature. But for now, no. You can always edit the settings file to disable the other features. Let me know if you need any help with that.

Yes please.

Yup, ruthless sector is compatible with starship legends. I did remove the integration features between the two though, so starship legends no longer has an alternate settings file that will be used only when ruthless sector is active, and it will no longer use ruthless sector's ship strength calculations.

Another great change, thanks :)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I am both writing this to bump the mod up because it deserves it and to say the following:

I do remember that Hyperspace-born [Redacted] have nerfed supply, fuel and maybe even metal and weapon drops, but have you considered having the default mod setting also reduce the AI core drop rates by a bit?

0.95a really likes to.spam AI cores as officers and I've found even relatively small Ordos (1-2 Radiants, 3-4 cruisers) having enough Alpha Cores to more or less guarantee a drop every fight.

One Ordo I fought yesterday as an example only had 16 combat ships but it carried a staggering 9 Alpha core Officers, including one on a Lumen! I'm going to bed right now but would you like me to provide you with some Screenshots of Hyperspace [Redacted] being loaded on cores?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 05:41:57 PM by Arcagnello »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

AI cores were a bit too common in my experience as well. I'll take a look at the possibility of making that adjustable. If I can do it cleanly I might add a setting for that even if I decide not to adjust it by default.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.8 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2021, 03:49:41 AM »

Good to know I was not going too out of whak with my assumptions :P

Anyway: small Hyperspace Ordo/Sub Ordo compilation that I selected from my compulsive Screenshot tendencies
1) 16 Ship Ordo: 9 Alphas, 2 Betas, 2 Gammas
Spoiler
[close]
2) 10 Ship Ordo: 3 Alphas, 2 Betas, 5 Gammas
Spoiler
[close]
3) 10 Ship Sub-Ordo: 4 Alphas, 2 Betas, 2 Gammas
Spoiler
[close]
4) 12 Ship Ordo, 6 Alphas, 1 Beta, 3 Gammas
Spoiler
[close]

I'm unsure if you should wait for Vanilla to inevitably fix Remnant fleet compositions to not be Concentrated Heresy or insert a fast addendum to the mod also nerfing/rebalancing AI core drops.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2021, 03:28:36 PM »

Hi, I like this mod lots, after a few .95a incomplete playthroughs:

Not having the stipend to help me, before the first colony is making enough, to cover officer salaries is a pain though.

a) the happy part a small stipend is:  that negative income severely limits crew size, which then limits fleet size.  In my last game this  pushed me to emphasize exploration in the mid-game with a smaller fleet to at least 500K credits, THEN find a colony, build it to positive cash flow to help replace the stipend income (and just accept that for a long time, ground defenses are it...the colony is basically on its own for security other than what I can afford to bribe away), THEN perhaps officer-up/bulk up fleet size to get big bounties.

b) the sad part of a small stipend is:  I can only have a few officers in my fleet for a long period of a career.  They can also cost money if rescued:  if I recover an excellent level 7 mercenary officer...they instantly cost me money and now I need to rush to a port to fire them (I cannot in good conscience simply space them on the spot, now can I?) 

In the big picture:  Trying to get more than a few officers on payroll before having a colony is challenging.  My opposite numbers (Remnant, pirate or otherwise) are not constrained by this.

I tried to ignore this "no stipend means I could end up running around paying officer salaries" in a mid-game with a bounty-killing incoming strategy, and was facing a -40K per month deficit.  Finally had to thrown in towel and it was painful to dismiss that much talent.

I luv that the mod config ini allows me to tweak the stipend...which I've done in my current game, and I'm covering the cost of one destroyer, three frigates, and three supply/fuel cruisers and two level 7 officer in the early game and only face -700 deficit.

____

Perhaps the above implies a request for a future option in Ruthless Sector:  a setting to allow "number of free officers" to whatever the player (or the mod author) thinks should be allowed. Or tweak the salaries.  Or have an alternative type of salary-stipend:  "the stipend pays salary cost for N of your captains for N years but doesn't cover anything else"

I.e. give the player some Captains of their own when facing "Remnants fleets with 6 Captains"

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2021, 06:06:13 PM »

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

b) the sad part of a small stipend is:  I can only have a few officers in my fleet for a long period of a career.  They can also cost money if rescued:  if I recover an excellent level 7 mercenary officer...they instantly cost me money and now I need to rush to a port to fire them (I cannot in good conscience simply space them on the spot, now can I?)
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the way officers are paid either, and this mod exacerbates the issue by making all expenses more relevant.

Perhaps the above implies a request for a future option in Ruthless Sector:  a setting to allow "number of free officers" to whatever the player (or the mod author) thinks should be allowed. Or tweak the salaries.  Or have an alternative type of salary-stipend:  "the stipend pays salary cost for N of your captains for N years but doesn't cover anything else"

I.e. give the player some Captains of their own when facing "Remnants fleets with 6 Captains"
I don't think "X free officers" is something I could implement very well, for technical reasons. I *would* like to experiment with the cost of officers though. I might try drastically reducing their wages and making them charge you each time you deploy them. I'll have to give it some thought.

markimget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2021, 02:00:02 AM »

does this mod buff individual Remnant ships in any way? I'm getting unreasonable battle difficulty stars compared to actual battle difficulty for Remnant battles specifically and I thought I'd ask

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2021, 04:30:41 PM »

This mod does not buff Remnant ships in any way. It does override the difficulty stars though, and it does tend to underestimate the strength of remnant fleets (hard to say how much).
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16