Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.1 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options  (Read 271422 times)

OneStepp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.3.0 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2023, 01:34:36 AM »

You might consider editing commentary for "lootedSalvageFromRemnantsMultiplier" in RUTHLESS_SECTOR_OPTIONS.ini. It took me a peek into your mod's files to figure out how multipliers are "stacked". Or maybe I'm just too bad at English :).

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2023, 03:21:22 PM »

I'm working on a new update for this mod that will include support for an in-game options screen that will have commentary for all settings. It might be a while before I can release it though.

Or maybe I'm just too bad at English :).
No, it's definitely my fault! Proper explanations for the settings is long overdue

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2023, 08:22:43 PM »

Honestly, the question belonged here, rather than in the Starship Legends discussion thread, so here goes: At any point in this mod's history, was reputation gain tied to a battle's difficulty rating and NOT experience points and/or levels gained?

I have a vague recollection from 1-2 years back that even though my player character's + officers' levels were all at least 10 (raised the limit on 'officerMaxLevel' to 15 in settings.json) that I regularly got double-digit rep gain from winning lopsided battles (that is, I was outnumbered)...

...that is, until updating to v1.3.0 of this mod and/or updating Nexerelin to its own latest version (which come to think of it, might have its own internal mechanisms that control reputation gain between the different factions it has to handle, but I can't be entirely sure of that).

EDIT: As further evidence that I have little idea how the increased reputation gain is supposed to work... after a fight against a large Remnant Ordo, I did get the expected reputation gain, but not when doing Bounty Board missions (implemented via MagicLib).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 09:35:06 PM by TimeDiver »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2023, 06:09:40 PM »

Honestly, the question belonged here, rather than in the Starship Legends discussion thread, so here goes: At any point in this mod's history, was reputation gain tied to a battle's difficulty rating and NOT experience points and/or levels gained?
I don't recall reputation boosts ever being tied directly to XP or levels. I'm pretty sure it has always been determined by the difficulty rating and the estimated power of the enemy. The levels of your player character and officers can influence the difficulty rating though, because they adjust the estimated power of your ships.

I regularly got double-digit rep gain from winning lopsided battles (that is, I was outnumbered)...
Double-digits! Pretty sure it's been capped at 5 for quite some time. Guess that wasn't the case at some point.

EDIT: As further evidence that I have little idea how the increased reputation gain is supposed to work... after a fight against a large Remnant Ordo, I did get the expected reputation gain, but not when doing Bounty Board missions (implemented via MagicLib).
Most of ruthless sector's features don't work with magic bounties because it overrides the code ruthless sector needs to run to do its thing. I found out about this recently (like a month ago, which is recent in old-man time), and it is fixed in the dev build. I'm hoping to release an update soon, but I have a few more things to do first.

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2023, 06:55:21 PM »

Double-digits! Pretty sure it's been capped at 5 for quite some time. Guess that wasn't the case at some point.
Eh, rest assured that was a deliberate change I made to the .ini configuration file.

Most of ruthless sector's features don't work with magic bounties because it overrides the code ruthless sector needs to run to do its thing. I found out about this recently (like a month ago, which is recent in old-man time), and it is fixed in the dev build. I'm hoping to release an update soon, but I have a few more things to do first.
Figures, but that explains that. Now for another few months before this mod's next update!

...hopefully before v0.96a is released and makes Starsector modders' lives more of a headache.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 07:07:12 PM by TimeDiver »

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2023, 08:36:26 PM »

Modded factions often add systems outside the Core Worlds, is it possible to add safe zones around them so Remnants do not spawn there?
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2023, 11:38:28 PM »

It's possible, sure, but I'm not convinced the additional complexity is necessary. Is there a scenario where remnants spawning near far-flung colonies would be problematic?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.8 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #187 on: February 27, 2023, 12:47:23 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.4.0
Compatible with previous versions

Added LunaSettings integration
Added settings for overriding faction relationships at the start of a new game. Disabled by default
Fixed ruthless sector features not working when engaging via "Consider your military options"
Fixed Magic Bounties overriding ruthless sector features
Renamed "restrictRepGainToWhitlistedFactions" setting to "restrictRepGainToWhitelistedFactions"
Converted "averageDistanceBetweenRemnantEncounters" setting to "averageLightyearsBetweenRemnantEncounters"
Increased "strengthIncreasePerPlayerLevel" from 0.07 to 0.1, which will cause player ships to be estimated as being much stronger

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2023, 01:51:58 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.4.0
Compatible with previous versions
Fixed Magic Bounties overriding ruthless sector features
At the risk of unintentionally annoying you... did you account for IBB-type bounties from Dark.Revenant's Ship/Weapon Pack?

Because testing it out just recently did not yield a significant increase in faction reputation gain*, whereas Magic Bounties did.

* - Deliberately edited the relevant settings via LunaLib v1.3.2.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 01:55:29 PM by TimeDiver »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2023, 06:34:05 PM »

At the risk of unintentionally annoying you...
Pish posh! It's a good question.
Ruthless sector does account for IBBs, and the mod interaction still seems to be working correctly based on a quick test I just did. The likely reason you didn't see a rep boost is because all IBBs belong to a special neutral faction that isn't hostile to anyone, and ruthless sector will only grant a rep boost with one of the factions hostile to the defeated fleet. Since no factions are hostile to IBB fleets, none of them qualify. I might make a special exception in this case, since it stands to reason that the factions the IBB is comprised of would be hostile to any IBB bounty.

HopeFall

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Deploy 7 ships, lose 4, get 18% XP modifier against Remnant ???

I'm guessing this is because of my character level being weighted so much that attempting to run a Nexerelin mining fleet with non capitals late game is impossible?

Edit: Oh mega lol, as the kids say.
"Increased "strengthIncreasePerPlayerLevel" from 0.07 to 0.1, which will cause player ships to be estimated as being much stronger"
Haven't even updated. That's hilarious. Especially since it seems to either punish people that have level 40 as a cap, or especially punish anyone that's chosen not to go combat oriented.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 01:13:31 PM by HopeFall »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Thanks for the feedback! For the next update I think I'll cap the strength estimation scaling from player level to level 15. I primarily balance this mod based on my own experience with mostly vanilla configurations and mod lists, so it's bound to be off in situations that deviate too far from that. In your case I'd recommend reducing strengthIncreasePerPlayerLevel to something like 0.3 or 0.4, considering your increased level cap.

HopeFall

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

It might be useful, for future reference, to rename the mod folter to 'Ruthless Sector 1.4.0' or such. Several mods add the version number at the end of the name, which is super helpful for, at a glance, comparing whether or not you need to update a mod. Or if there is, indeed, a mod update!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

That could be useful in some cases, yeah. I've considered adding version numbers to mod folders, but the convention seems to be not to. I think the main reason for that is how easy it makes it to install two versions of the same mod without realizing it. The ideal way to update a mod is to delete the old folder before replacing it with the new version, but people will often simply extract the updated archive into their mod folder. If the mod folder name is the same regardless of version, then when that happens the old files will be overwritten instead of duplicated (which is typically a much more troublesome scenario).

The easiest way to make sure your mods are up to date is to use Nexerelin's version checking feature, which all my mods support. I don't always use Nex, but sometimes I'll start a test game with it just to check for mod updates. Version numbers can also be seen in the launcher's mod selection window.

HopeFall

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Thanks for the feedback! For the next update I think I'll cap the strength estimation scaling from player level to level 15. I primarily balance this mod based on my own experience with mostly vanilla configurations and mod lists, so it's bound to be off in situations that deviate too far from that. In your case I'd recommend reducing strengthIncreasePerPlayerLevel to something like 0.3 or 0.4, considering your increased level cap.
I have. Getting better results, though I made it a touch too easy. It's hard finding the right spot.
I apologize if I came across has irritable. I was having such a damned struggle with the starting mining fleet (just going full Nex mining stuff, HMI, Vayra, Junk Dogs, some vanilla) that it was rough. It doesn't help that I'm assuming the game can't tell what weapons you're using, so if you're purposefully picking mining weaponry, it doesn't like, lower the strength of the ship, right?

I legitimately wish there was a way to get XP for selling loads of cargo, meeting supply demands, other stuff besides combat. Because it was definitely a rough start; combat is just the main way to get XP no matter what you do, sadly. I've gotten better results with adjusting that player thing for sure, thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16