Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Add more warcrimes  (Read 2646 times)

HighTechBestTech

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Add more warcrimes
« on: June 03, 2021, 01:11:56 PM »

As of right now, it seems the only real "warcrime" you can commit is a saturation bombardment. What about adding some more?

Ideas:
Instead of capturing crew alive, always have an option to harvest their organs instead, this applies to salvaged crew and officers as well as post battle crew. I think this would also add a nice source of harvested organs which in my opinion is one of the more underutilized trade goods.

Under the same vein, what about a building besides the cryosanctum that harvests organs? Like in Rimworld where you can get an entire operation going. It might even increase the stability of the world if it's treated as a blacksite sort of situation.

Under the same vein of increasing planetary government type warcrimes, what about adding a special action for deleting a luddic path cell from your worlds permanently with a mass execution, or a buildable surveillance type structure or some kind of police HQ thingy. I would definitely like to see another way to manage a colony which instead of going for the current free market approach, instead is more authoritarian/command economy. Maybe this would give factions like the Sindrian Diktat and Hegemony some more unique flavor.

And lastly, IMO it would make more sense if things like space colonies like Kanta's den and such were not destroyed by a saturation bombardment, but instead by landing marines and manually killing everything that moves. It seems kind of weird to "drop" fuel onto an orbital habitat after all.

HighTechBestTech

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Add more warcrimes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 01:18:23 PM »

BTW, this is by far my most common suggestion for most games. Not really relevant, just thought it'd be good to know

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 01:48:08 PM »

>opens up forum after a long day
>goes to suggestions
>sees that the first one is "add more warcrimes"
>juststarsectorthings.jpg

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »

related; stopping food aide from reaching a starving colony should probably count as a war crime (if u get caught doing it)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Ramiel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 03:19:13 PM »

What do you think this is? Rimworld?

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 12:30:09 AM »

What do you think this is? Rimworld?

Dunno, Rimworld or not, spacing an enemy crew prolly violates the Geneva Conventions... though adding slavery to the game would prolly be too Rimworld-like (however, there is already that one mod...).
I wasn't always a Judge...

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 03:35:05 AM »

Keep this *** in Rimworld and out of good games like Starsector.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 04:00:30 AM »

I don't think that Starsector players are much better. Wanton smuggling, blatant disregard for human lives thrown in the meat grinder, reckless use of AI cores,  corruption...

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 04:01:38 AM »

reckless use of AI cores

one of these is not like the other
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 05:18:05 AM »

I'd love to see satbombings have a bit more long-term consequences. Being best pals with everybody within a couple years after wiping out a faction is mildly odd. They do know they are dealing with probably the biggest mass murderer in recent history, right?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 09:17:01 AM »

I'd love to see satbombings have a bit more long-term consequences. Being best pals with everybody within a couple years after wiping out a faction is mildly odd. They do know they are dealing with probably the biggest mass murderer in recent history, right?
With the way they bully the player for making a space buck, they had it coming.

Indies are the only faction that rub me the wrong way for getting aggravated over "atrocities".  With that, they act as puppets for the major factions, and get targeted for destruction for getting in the way if I fight a total war against the major factions.

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 10:13:12 AM »

With the way they bully the player for making a space buck, they had it coming.

For sure. Every planet gone is such a vengeful joy, and the last military base falling is an enormously liberating feel. "... and we will have peace".

Being forever viewed with fear and suspicion would just complete the experience of a genocidal maniac loving his job for me.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 11:14:16 AM »

I guess someone has been reading the Geneva Convention as the Geneva Suggestions as of late  ::)
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 06:54:03 PM »

I guess someone has been reading the Geneva Convention as the Geneva Suggestions as of late  ::)

They've honestly been more like Geneva Guidelines the whole time.  Kind of off topic, but permanent UN Security Council members basically ignore them with impunity unless they feel like it.

Getting back to the game, I do agree that Independents, Pirates and maybe Luddic Path maybe shouldn't care about sat bombing unless you sat bomb one of their worlds.  Maybe only Hegemony and certain characters opinions might drop if you space an enemy crew, but that still seems like lazy coding.  Perhaps better to have some parameter that measures how much any one character or faction cares about certain actions when compared to some randomly chosen spectrum (per character or per faction) for any specific action, but only after some initial threshold is met (like sat bombing a core world everyone knows about when your beacon is on, maybe when you beacon is off, but when you space some crew way out on the edge of the sector, only at most some interested parties care).

To be clear, I'm using spacing crew as a shorthand for some arbitrary war crime in general.  I mean, it's not really a war crime to space a pirate crew... enemies of mankind and all.

Edit: Spelling fix
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:53:36 AM by slowpersun »
I wasn't always a Judge...

michail

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 07:39:06 PM »

I think I've heard about this obscure bit of ancient history from a guy in some bar once?.. Not sure.

Getting back to the game, I do agree that Independents, Pirates and maybe Luddic Path maybe shouldn't care about sat bombing unless you sat bomb one of their worlds. 

Pirates and LP already don't care, if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, more personality for people and importance of personal relationships would be cool. Imagine getting denied docking clearance because the local governor hates your guts for raiding their planet.

Raiding for organs could thematically at least be made into a warcrime (unless such raids aren't butchering random people but rather targeting medical facilities... oh wait). Maybe spawn a purely civilian cargo fleet every once in a while, so the player gets the choice of trading in reputation and remaining morality for more loot/less short-term risk than usual.
Pages: [1] 2