Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ballistic Fighter Flares  (Read 761 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Ballistic Fighter Flares
« on: June 02, 2021, 12:14:49 PM »

Fighter flares currently dance madly around their target. This has always looked bizarre to me.

I suggest fighter flares move like bombs. The fighter drops them in a spread and they bounce off ships and shields, distracting PD and missiles all the while.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ballistic Fighter Flares
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 12:35:45 AM »

The fighter flares prolly just use the same code as the regular flares some ships have as a special... but I agree that fighter flare movement should eventually be changed.  Should move more like the mines dropped by Piranha Bombers.  Hopefully by 1.0 release...
I wasn't always a Judge...

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 12:37:00 AM »

the fighter flares arent mimicking bombs to help bombs survive, theyre mimicking fighters to help fighters survive
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 12:58:47 AM »

the fighter flares arent mimicking bombs to help bombs survive, theyre mimicking fighters to help fighters survive

I was more referring to the fact that fighter flares should basically just obey Newton's Three Laws, not act as bomb support...
I wasn't always a Judge...

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 03:33:48 AM »

Maybe fighter flares should just get renamed to something more high-tech sounding. "Decoys" maybe? There's already flares in the game that look different, act different and have a different job.

KDR_11k

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 01:36:04 PM »

They're probably just small rockets with extremely unstable flight paths, making them dance around because they keep tumbling and spinning.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 08:06:39 PM »

Current fighter flares fly in a circle around the target ship.

I think it would be cooler if they were dropped in a spread and bounced off the target ship, gradually slowing down so they don't get too far away.

Maybe fighter flares should just get renamed to something more high-tech sounding. "Decoys" maybe? There's already flares in the game that look different, act different and have a different job.

That's not a bad idea either.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 01:32:17 AM »

Heh, back when read these things were being added... Your suggestion is *exactly* what I was picturing in my head.