Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: [0.96a] Truly Automated Ships v1.2.5  (Read 47139 times)

TobiaF

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.96a] Truly Automated Ships v1.2.5
« on: May 07, 2021, 03:22:20 PM »

Truly Automated Ships

This mod intends to change the way AI officers assigned to automated ships affect the rest of your fleet.

In the vanilla game, AI officers increase the "automated ship points" of the ship they're attached to, and to me it doesn't make sense. If your automated fleet relies on the computing power of the rest of the fleet to coordinate itself - and that's why having too many automated ships leads to a decrease in maximum efficiency for all of them - then grabbing a tonne of GPUs and stitching them together with a ship should actually lift some of the weight from your regular ships, not add even more!

With this mod, when you slap a supercomputer on a hull, it will actually make the ship more autonomous, and decrease its "automated ship points," leaving you with the ability to increase the size of your automated fleet even more! But beware: all of this added computing power will require constant maintenance and a large energy supply. After all, you wouldn't expect a giant AI core with the capacity to manage entire planets to be easy to sustain, would you? The good news is that small ships will be reasonably cheap, but as hull size increases, so do maintenance costs.

WARNING!
When using this mod on a preexisting savefile, you'll need to remove all cores that you already have on your ships and then put them back in. Otherwise, the game won't update their CR according to the mod.
If you already have some cores integrated into ships by the time you install this mod, that ship's CR calculation will stay bugged. There's nothing I can do at the moment, though I'm working on fixing the issue.

Let's talk numbers
Spoiler
I created this mod with the intent of making it more viable to have powerful automated fleets. It's possible, for example, to have up to three Radiants in your fleet without suffering any CR maluses. The drawback is an increase in the amount monthly supplies required to keep your ships operational. You'll really have to think about how much increasing the power of a given ship is worth to you.

This mod applies a reduction to the "automated ship points" of any ship outfitted with an AI core. This reduction depends on the type of core:
  • Alpha core: -75%
  • Beta core: -50%
  • Gamma core: -25%

Having an AI core as an officer will also cause a hefty increase to its monthly supply cost:
  • Alpha core base increase: +100%
  • Beta Core base increase: +75%
  • Gamma Core base increase: +50%
A modifier will be applied to these base values depending on hull size. Automated points base reduction will be divided by these modifiers (making AI cores less effective on larger ships), and base maintenance cost will be multiplied by the modifiers (reflecting the vast amount of resources required to manage larger ships):
  • Freighters: 1
  • Destroyers: 1.25
  • Cruisers: 1.5
  • Capitals: 2
[close]

Compatibility
Spoiler
TAS is compatible with all mods that don't change the "Automated ship" hullmod or the "Automated ships" technology skill. Mods that add new types of AI cores won't break TAS, but the new cores will have no effect on automated ships unless all of their parameters are added manually to the settings file. I will be working towards making TAS compatible with as many other mods as possible.

Truly Automated Ships is currently compatible with Tahlan Shipworks 1.2.1
[close]

Screenshots
Spoiler

[close]

Changelog
Spoiler
v1.2.5
  • Fixed bug with CR calculation
  • Implemented compatibility with Tahlan Shipworks 1.2.1

v1.2.4
  • (Hopefully) fixed negative ship weight bug

v1.2.3
  • Implemented compatibility with "AUTOMATED_NO_PENALTY" ship tag introduced in patch 0.96a (no functional changes)

v1.2.2
  • Fixed NullPointer error when loading the game
  • (Hopefully) fixed negative ship weight bug

v1.2.1
  • Fixed compatibility issue with Seeker (TAS now only affects ships in the player's fleet)

v1.2
  • Updated values and calculations to adapt to patch 0.95.1a-RC6
  • Added a modifier to AP reduction based on hull size (sorry, running 12 Radiants per fleet would've been a bit too much)
  • Added settings file for customisation

v1.1.2
  • Fixed issue that caused cores to change the automated points of multiple ships at once

v1.1.1
  • Fixed compatibility issue with Seeker

v1.1
  • Changed base maintenance increase from 300/200/100 to 150/100/50
  • Added hull size multiplier
  • Added tooltip on the "Automated Ship" hullmod to explain the increase in cost
  • Changed "Automated Ships" skill description accordingly
[close]

If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to DM me on here or on Discord (preferred): Toby#2057

Please let me know what you think of the numbers. I'm open to tinkering with them to find out which values feel the best to play with.

A big thank you to all of the members of the Starsector modding community over on Discord, especially Bisou Gai. Thanks for having the patience to deal with my Java incompetence.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 10:49:00 AM by TobiaF »

th3boodlebot

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Truly Automated Ships v1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »

thank you for this.  excited to make a giant automated fleet to support my -asjksdvgbasvaog*static*

.....if everything goes according to plan youll know soon

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR WORK

TobiaF

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »

Careful not to overextend yourself, though! Or at least carry an Atlas full of supplies wherever you go lol

Anyways, I'd love it if you let me knew what you think about it after trying it out a bit. I'm planning on updating it soon to balance up the numbers a bit better.

I'm also trying to make it compatible with as many other mods as I can, especially ones that already change up the way automated ships work, like Quality Captains. QC and TAS do different things to the same skill, so it's a shame that they override each other as of now. I'm working on a way to make them work together.

Aramoro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 02:03:07 PM »

well done TobiaF

;D ;D ;D ;D
may all sing praise to u, as we crush our enemies to dust, with mighty fleets of soulless death bots

TobiaF

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 04:41:24 PM »

while the idea is neat, I think a %300 incerase in supply upkeep way too much

That's my biggest concern. An alternative i was thinking of was 100/150/200. Do you have any suggestions?

aiPIMP

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 11:26:52 PM »

while the idea is neat, I think a %300 incerase in supply upkeep way too much

That's my biggest concern. An alternative i was thinking of was 100/150/200. Do you have any suggestions?
Mabe keep 100/200/300% upkeep but add a cofiguration file for easy adjustments if anyone so desire?

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 11:35:45 PM »

I think it would be nice if it’s a flat upkeep plus a percentage increase.
For example, apply flat monthly supply cost of 10/20/30 (similar to paying officer monthly payroll but in supplies) and percentage increment of 50/100/150
Do remember to use the modify percentage instead of multiply to not bloat the flat cost.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Amazigh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 12:20:57 AM »

I like the idea you have going here behind this mod, but personally, I think that the 300% supply increase is not enough to make being able to field 3 non-malfunction CR% Radiants unattractive.
The sheer level of power that 3 Radiants bring to the field is... pretty ridiculous.

TobiaF

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 02:32:09 AM »

For example, apply flat monthly supply cost of 10/20/30 (similar to paying officer monthly payroll but in supplies) and percentage increment of 50/100/150
Do remember to use the modify percentage instead of multiply to not bloat the flat cost.

I don't think that would work, because of different hull sizes. A 30 flat increase to a ship that normally consumes 4 per month is a bit too much, I think.

I like the idea you have going here behind this mod, but personally, I think that the 300% supply increase is not enough to make being able to field 3 non-malfunction CR% Radiants unattractive.
The sheer level of power that 3 Radiants bring to the field is... pretty ridiculous.

That's something I'm worried about, actually. That some price ranges might be too high for the early/mid game and too low for the late game. For now I'm just thinking that in the late game you're generally overpowered anyways, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Still, it would be nice to have a better formula for scaling costs depending on hull size.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 03:15:52 PM »

I don't think that would work, because of different hull sizes. A 30 flat increase to a ship that normally consumes 4 per month is a bit too much, I think.
A high level officer take about 3k/mo payroll and it's totally legit cost if you're that desperate.
It's also about winning the DP war if you will.

This sparks me the idea that a larger hull should REQUIRE multiple AI cores to function.
For example, 1/2/3/4 cores for sizes. That way it may be fine to put a lower base AI officer supply cost but still make larger hull pay big.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

TobiaF

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 04:04:41 AM »

A high level officer take about 3k/mo payroll and it's totally legit cost if you're that desperate.
It's also about winning the DP war if you will.

This sparks me the idea that a larger hull should REQUIRE multiple AI cores to function.
For example, 1/2/3/4 cores for sizes. That way it may be fine to put a lower base AI officer supply cost but still make larger hull pay big.

I'm actually going to post an updated version later today, I decided to make the cost scale with hull size. I left the alpha-radiant cost at 4x, I figured that by the point one can afford that, they can already afford pretty much anything else. I might change that in the future, but for now this felt like a good solution.

TobiaF

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Truly Automated Ships v1.1
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 09:43:15 AM »

New version is up!

Changelog:
Spoiler
  • Changed base maintenance increase from 300/200/100 to 150/100/50
  • Added hull size multiplier
  • Added tooltip on the "Automated Ship" hullmod to explain the increase in cost
  • Changed "Automated Ships" skill description accordingly
[close]

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Truly Automated Ships v1.1.1
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 01:31:15 AM »

I am sad to report a bug (because it'd be a huge nerf for us when fixed, if an actual bug):
The reduction multiplier from AI Core Officers is applying to all automated ships, not just the one it's commanding.

The only other mod I have that could be affecting things is Adjustable Skills Threshold.

What I did:
Added two Radiants to my fleet (DP of 80).
Installed an alpha core on one of them (DP now reads as 20, rather than 50).

TobiaF

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 11:42:12 AM »

I am sad to report a bug (because it'd be a huge nerf for us when fixed, if an actual bug):
The reduction multiplier from AI Core Officers is applying to all automated ships, not just the one it's commanding.

The only other mod I have that could be affecting things is Adjustable Skills Threshold.

What I did:
Added two Radiants to my fleet (DP of 80).
Installed an alpha core on one of them (DP now reads as 20, rather than 50).

I checked it out, and on my game it works fine. Two Radiants without officers, 80 points. Assigning an Alpha Core to one of them, 50 points.

Can you message me on Discord, maybe send me a copy of your savefile?

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 03:54:55 PM »

Can't recreate with a clean run, and can't send a save due to both not having one anymore, and a series of private mods.

I can confirm that it's not a result of conflicts with adjustable skill thresholds, which I thought it might of been (since I'd doubled the threshold, and the decrease was double what I'd expected).

EDIT: Have been able to recreate it, although not track down a culprit.
Code: Mod list
  "adjustable_skill_thresholds",
  "lw_console",
  "IndEvo",
  "lw_lazylib",
  "MagicLib",
  "trulyautomatedships"

No AI core assigned: 80 points
AI core assigned to ship 1: 50 points
AI core assigned to ship 2 (instead of ship 1): 20 points

Edit 2: Able to recreate with just the libraries, Console Commands, and this mod, so probably not a conflict.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6