Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: People don't hover over the options when they see a disabled option.  (Read 554 times)

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile

I'm watching a few people play Starsector on Youtube and I noticed a trend that I wouldn't do myself. People press options: 1,2,3. When they see a disabled tooltip, there's no intuition for you to hover over said option to see why it's disabled as well as if it's enabled and may contain a tooltip.

A QoL I would like to ask is if they press on a disabled option and a tooltip is coded to show up, it should display that without having to use a mouse to hover.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: People don't hover over the options when they see a disabled option.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 06:41:56 PM »

I think this is a subset of a problem Alex mentioned: if anything has a tooltip, everything should have a tooltip.

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 07:19:02 PM »

I think this is a subset of a problem Alex mentioned: if anything has a tooltip, everything should have a tooltip.
Hmmm

I feel another subset of a problem is that this tooltip doesn't really scale. It looks like tiny ants if you're on the big screen.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 07:39:58 PM »

People do that? It may be just a result of my experience, but when something is grayed out I immediately mouse over it to see why it's grayed out.

That said, +1 to popping up tooltip on pressing a disabled option