Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 72

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 250802 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #990 on: January 03, 2022, 03:00:20 AM »

You have to go to the game's website and download from there https://fractalsoftworks.com/category/releases/
Please don't take me too seriously.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 03, 2022, 09:34:49 PM »

For future updates: Are we headed towards more or less skills?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Vanshilar

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 04, 2022, 07:25:47 AM »

I would like to see one or few extra skill points granted by completing quests, independent of leveling up, like clearing the Den of Evil in Diablo 2.

I think this would be a great idea, where most of the skill points are from the "ordinary" process of gaining experience, while there would be a couple of extra skill points through completing certain questlines. The Galatia questline might be one, for example (although it already has a good reward, and since fighting isn't required, it may actually end up being "too easy" to get a skill point from). Presumably in the future there may be other long, involved questlines as well, where the biggest ones might reward the player with an additional skill point. (Or some more unique weapons or ships, come to think of it.) So that the player might end up being able to reach level 16-18 in the end.

In my mind, Alex and David might have already discussed this during the skill revamp, but it would be too disruptive to let players be say level 18 and then change it later on to "player level maxes out at 15 and then you have to get 3 more via quests", which would seem too much like a nerf. Much easier for the master plan be to start with 15 skills during the skill revamp and then let players have a couple more skill points as new questlines are developed and put into the game. These questlines would have to be worthy of letting the player access an additional top-tier skill though, basically another way to extend the endgame.

(As a follow-up, the new questlines might for example require turning in several Omega weapons or later on, unique ships, to get that skill point. On one hand it would let the player make use of some unused Omega weapons, which happens in every playthrough, but on the other hand, the player would have to make an "interesting decision" on whether to keep some unique weapons or get an extra skill. Extra skill point or Ziggurat? Etc.)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #993 on: January 04, 2022, 05:55:37 PM »

Relatedly, there could be special skills which aren't learned by spending skill points through the character screen, but using an item, completing a quest, or some other method.

(I thought of this after hearing that Industrial.Evolution mod is reintroducing the old admin skills, to be taught to human admins at its Academy building)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 04, 2022, 06:53:24 PM »

Relatedly, there could be special skills which aren't learned by spending skill points through the character screen, but using an item, completing a quest, or some other method.

That's a very neat idea!

SethMK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 04, 2022, 07:04:01 PM »

This should already be possible with how the Galatia academy chain can grant traverse jump if you don't get it via skill point spending, although the text when they react to you already having the skill is amusing.
But that does mean the code to add a skill is already in game. The question would be what skill/ability should a quest unlock that a skill point shouldn't?

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 04, 2022, 07:44:19 PM »

This should already be possible with how the Galatia academy chain can grant traverse jump if you don't get it via skill point spending, although the text when they react to you already having the skill is amusing.
But that does mean the code to add a skill is already in game. The question would be what skill/ability should a quest unlock that a skill point shouldn't?
Hypercognition, for begineers.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SethMK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 04, 2022, 09:27:45 PM »

Hypercognition, for begineers.

Just tell me that quest if implemented won't involve implanting an Alpha core into  our captain.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 05, 2022, 04:51:06 AM »

It would probably reveal that our captain is an Alpha-Cored android all along or something.

SethMK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 05, 2022, 05:22:52 AM »

It would probably reveal that our captain is an Alpha-Cored android all along or something.

If we were Alpha core androids we'd try to destroy the Ziggy... But it would explain how the Automated ships skill works.. we simply let them in on the secret...
Maybe we're really the Omega core as an android and thus pull a Honey Badger on the Ziggy... We just don't care cause we are the Omega.... And it isn't. :P

Okay, in all seriousness Hypercogniton would be good. Another possibility would be a skill that let's us build domain era satellites instead of makeshift ones. Or maybe a colony structure that detects random caches in the sector for us to go out and find... Although those cashes might not be unguarded...equipment caches, weapon caches, etc....and unlike tech mining no depletion, but you have to go out and retrieve the caches instead of freely dropped into storage.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 06:16:06 AM by SethMK »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: January 05, 2022, 06:25:35 AM »

It is unclear if the alpha core or [REDACTED] tried to destroy the Zig. I'd put my money on the alpha being framed.

vladokapuh

• Commander
  • Cabbage
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 06, 2022, 03:21:13 AM »

If we were Alpha core androids we'd try to destroy the Ziggy... But it would explain how the Automated ships skill works.. we simply let them in on the secret...
Maybe we're really the Omega core as an android and thus pull a Honey Badger on the Ziggy... We just don't care cause we are the Omega.... And it isn't. :P

Okay, in all seriousness Hypercogniton would be good. Another possibility would be a skill that let's us build domain era satellites instead of makeshift ones. Or maybe a colony structure that detects random caches in the sector for us to go out and find... Although those cashes might not be unguarded...equipment caches, weapon caches, etc....and unlike tech mining no depletion, but you have to go out and retrieve the caches instead of freely dropped into storage.

I think it would be cool if destroying domain satelite had a story point option to "try not to break important pieces" and that would give you an item allowing you to build a domain one yourself, and the item could also be found exploring. "domain core components" or something
Cabbage

hubrisanity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: January 06, 2022, 10:16:09 AM »

Saw this game on YT, saw what I liked, tried the game out. Just now bought the game and madly in love with this expertly and passionately crafted creative game which I will believe, be placed in the pantheon of legendary games.

Just my opinion and showing the love, thanks all!

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 06, 2022, 10:17:08 AM »

Saw this game on YT, saw what I liked, tried the game out. Just now bought the game and madly in love with this expertly and passionately crafted creative game which I will believe, be placed in the pantheon of legendary games.

Just my opinion and showing the love, thanks all!
ONE OF US! ONE OF US!
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay :)
Please don't take me too seriously.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1004 on: January 07, 2022, 05:53:39 AM »

Suggestion by Akar1234 on Discord: Story point option to resolve the

Spoiler
Alpha core admin removal interaction.

Actually I kinda wish there were further options where relevant; you ought to be able to tell the AI core "I want to move you to a better planet" or "there's an AI inspection incoming and you need to hide for now". In the relocation case, if the alpha doesn't trust the player it should be able to book its own transport and move to the new location to be installed.
[close]
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 72