Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hyperdrive v2.5.2 - A fleet ability for instant long distance travel  (Read 314919 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hyperdrive

Change Log and Old Versions

Compatible with all known mods.
Integrated with
Version Checker.
Can be added to existing games.
Can NOT be removed from games in which it was already used, but it can be disabled.
Highly configurable. See the OPTIONS.ini file in the mod folder or use
LunaLib to edit settings in-game.

This mod allows your fleet to "hyperwarp," traveling up to 15 light-years in mere seconds.
The goal is to improve the QoL involved in travel as much as possible without disrupting normal gameplay more than necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgJgF5_Ss8

Unlocking the ability:
If you want to have access to hyperwarp from the beginning of a game, you can edit the options file and set "unlockedByDefault" to true.
Otherwise, you will eventually be presented with hints about how to unlock it during the course of normal play.
Ok, but how do I unlock it?
Disable any remnant capital ship.  Scripted events and station encounters may prevent the unlock event from triggering.

If you're trying to befriend the Remnants with the help of a certain special contact from Nex, then you can also unlock the ability by following her main questline.
[close]

Using the ability:
Move in the direction you want to go and activate the "Hyperwarp Jump" ability.
Warp distance is based on current burn level: 0.5 light-years per burn level.
Press "W" during autopilot to set your fleet to the correct velocity for warping directly to your destination.

Limitations and Disadvantages:
Can't be activated near non-allied fleets.
Requires 50% more fuel per light-year than conventional travel.
Reduces CR of all ships (like emergency burn).
Massively increases your fleet's sensor profile during usage and cooldown, also revealing your identity.
When certain enemy fleets detect yours from a distance, they may use their hyperdrives to intercept you (disabled for most factions by default).
Can't be activated in systems with a destabilizing effect, such as ones containing neutron stars.
Can't be used while in abyssal space, but it can be used to jump into it, so be careful!

Tips:
Warping costs the same amount of supplies no matter how far you go, so long warps are more efficient.
Hyperspace storms can boost your burn level up to 30, maximizing warp distance.
Press "W" during autopilot to set your fleet to the correct velocity for warping directly to your destination.
Warping can be very dangerous to use in hostile space, but you can drastically reduce sensor profile using terrain, making nebulae safer warp targets.
Warping can be very precise. Use sustained burn and the S key for precise control of burn level (and therefore warp distance).
The distance mentioned in the course navigation widget above your radar is measured in light-years.
You can use this to calculate the correct burn level needed to warp directly to something.
Small enemy fleets that maintain contact with your own fleet are now more of a threat, as they can prevent you from warping.
In normal space, you can usually see fleets appear on your radar before they warp to you.

About Hyperdrive
Thanks
Alex and the rest of the Fractal Softworks team, for this excellent game and it's outstanding modding API.
LazyWizard, for making this mod much easier to test using Console Commands.
kazi, for the guide on setting up Intelij IDE

Permissions
All assets from this project may be used without obtaining explicit permission as long as...
No laws are broken and Fractal Softworks' terms of service are not violated
The original authors of any code or assets used are credited
Nothing taken from this mod is used for nefarious purposes
[close]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 07:57:25 AM by Sundog »

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile

Awesome! Awesome! I love the concept of this. I'll be keeping an Eye on It!
Nice going Sundog!
Spoiler

[close]

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Would you be willing to provide hooks to blacklist, modify, and replace this functionality on a per-ship basis? I can think of a number of ways I'd like to extend, change, bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate a feature like that.
I'm happy to add any useful hook that wouldn't be too taxing on system resources or require too much dev time, but I'm not sure exactly what you're requesting. Are you talking about, for example, creating a ship or hullmod that adjusts how the ability works? In that case, all of the settings available in the options file are also publicly exposed (and writable) in hyperdrive.ModPlugin. That's not ideal though, since the user's choices could easily be overwritten and those settings affect all fleets. I could provide proper functionality for that kind of thing if you want it.

The most useful means of blacklisting, I think, is provided by the API:
Code
if(Global.getSettings().getModManager().isModEnabled("sun_hd_hyperdrive")) {
fleet.removeAbility("sun_hyperdrive");
}

So does DME add anything you think this mod would interfere with in ways it doesn't already interfere with vanilla? Any fleets with custom AI I should watch to see if they might choose to jump at bad times?

Awesome! Awesome! I love the concept of this. I'll be keeping an Eye on It!
Nice going Sundog!
;D

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

Have you tried my Karlsson Heirloom (very wip, kind of broken) mod in the Discord server? It offers something slightly similar. Mine is an ability tied to the presence of a super carrier in the fleet, but once you get your hand on it you can then activate a super cruise.

The super cruise allows you to travel at 30+ burn, at no fuel cost. On the other hand, you can't turn at all without disabling the ability, it has an extreme activation cost equivalent to a few months worth of supplies and rouhtly the fuel required to travel along a quarter of the sector width.

In practice it is only worthwhile for long stretches of travel across explored areas, or for emergency returns. Ressources wise, it is preferable to stormride so it really is for convenience for when you reached the late game, when travelling has become a thrill less chore and you can afford its use.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I have! It's very cool. I like how you made it most useful for long slogs, and I love the idea of giving the player a reward like that for completing a quest line. I tested it out a few months ago as part of preparing to work on this mod after Meso told me about it. It's on my list of potential compatibility conflicts to check for, but I haven't gotten around to testing yet. Both abilities override fleet velocity and do weird things with fuel consumption, so I'm certain to find at least a few things. In theory the KH super cruise ability should still be the most efficient method of long-distance travel even with hyperdrive available, due to the way it consumes fuel and (if I remember correctly) allows you to ignore terrain.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Hyperdrive 1.0.0 (BETA) - Fast and engaging long distance travel
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 04:58:09 PM »

Hyperdrive 1.0.0 (BETA)

Fixed NPC fleets sometimes warping a very short distance
Changed: Fleets following the player due to the follow ability (from Nexerelin) will now warp shortly after the player does
Changed: Fleets of the same faction or a cooperative faction no longer prevent each other from warping
Changed: Hyperwarp now prevents fleets from engaging for 2.5 seconds after exiting warp. This is to prevent unavoidable warp interception
Added "sun_hyperdrive+" tag to the hyperwarp ability. The engine will prevent other abilities with the same tag from being active at the same time
Added debugging tools for tracking fleets and printing why they do or do not use hyperwarp (only active in dev mode)
Other things that I forgot (I didn't keep track of changes, so this is from memory)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:07:50 PM by Sundog »

ASSIMKO

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 06:45:06 AM »

Neither tested, but thanks in advance for the mod. I like to see your vision of the game before creating a mod. Congratulations. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:56:27 AM by ASSIMKO »

A Random Jolteon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 04:19:07 AM »

Absolutely awesome mod. Makes traveling much more interesting when I have to travel long distances. This will be used as much as Starship Legends (aka always)

Fun fact: First time using this, I had no idea how far it'd take me when in-system, so when I jumped I ended up warped into a pirate station that has a capital and multiple cruisers around it while having only a tumbleweed and 4 shepards...aaaand my transponder was on.
Hi. I exist. Bye.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 07:57:44 AM »

Neither tested, but thanks in advance for the mod. I like to see your vision of the game before creating a mod. Congratulations. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Absolutely awesome mod. Makes traveling much more interesting when I have to travel long distances. This will be used as much as Starship Legends (aka always)
;D

Fun fact: First time using this, I had no idea how far it'd take me when in-system, so when I jumped I ended up warped into a pirate station that has a capital and multiple cruisers around it while having only a tumbleweed and 4 shepards...aaaand my transponder was on.
Hah! Yeah, blind jumps can be pretty dangerous, especially in systems with hostile factions. Hope you had a recent save!

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »

I mean, I wouldn't really consider it efficient if it burns through the CR of ships, but seems like a cool addition.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 04:52:23 PM »

Well, it's a trade-off. Sure, warping reduces the CR of your ships, but it also means you don't have to pay the monthly supply cost you normally would. Warping any distance should burn about the same amount of supplies as traveling 7.5 light-years normally at burn-level 15. So as long as you jump further than 7.5 light-years, warping should be more efficient.

Hydra7-1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 10:39:47 PM »

Well, it's a trade-off. Sure, warping reduces the CR of your ships, but it also means you don't have to pay the monthly supply cost you normally would. Warping any distance should burn about the same amount of supplies as traveling 7.5 light-years normally at burn-level 15. So as long as you jump further than 7.5 light-years, warping should be more efficient.
Plus I would assume over a long trip you'd probably use that many supplies due to storms anyway so it seems worthwhile

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 12:01:56 AM »

Great idea I love it, but how can I remove the decrease in mission time, I'm personally not too fond of it.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 08:22:05 AM »

Plus I would assume over a long trip you'd probably use that many supplies due to storms anyway so it seems worthwhile
Yeah, for sure. The ability to bypass terrain while moving in a strait line is another major benefit. I considered increasing the fuel consumption of warping by something like 25% for this reason, but I didn't want to encourage conventional travel for the sake of fuel economy. Personally, I just bump up global fuel consumption to balance out the power-creep from this mod.

Great idea I love it, but how can I remove the decrease in mission time, I'm personally not too fond of it.
Glad you like it  :)
You can disable the time limit decrease for missions by opening HYPERDRIVE_OPTIONS.ini in the mod folder and changing "missionTimeLimitMult" from 0.5 to 1.0
That will prevent new missions from having reduced time limits, but not existing ones. That includes existing missions you haven't discovered yet, so you might still find a few "new" missions with reduced time limits after changing the setting.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 06:24:47 PM »

I like this a lot! Saves a ton of time. Too difficult for me to fine-tune the distance of my jumps, though admittedly I'm always running at 2x speed, so I just try not to overshoot (too much).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13