Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: MOSS (Mod Organiser for StarSector): A standalone utility for managing mods  (Read 44001 times)

Solar Mechanis

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hmm, I'm not actually sure how... any of the webkit stuff works when it's missing. If it being a hard dependency is the issue I can (fairly) easily make a build without the functionality. It may also just be a case of permissions, and you need to run
Code
chmod +x starsector_mod_manager_dynamic
(or whatever I've called it).

Also, the 'static' builds haven't worked for a long time (I actually don't know when the last time they ever worked was). I'll be clearer about them not being a thing in the future.

So I got it to run the application, but it doesn't open. It just says that the application is running then no window ever actually pops up. I use Run Software application to open it and all the permissions are on Read and Write access.

I feel like I'm just missing something obvious. Linux is not something I'm terribly familiar with.

Troika

• Commander
    • View Profile

I'm trying to run this on Windows 11 and it just opens and then immediately closes.

cake

• Ensign
  • I'm so tired
    • View Profile

I  love this. it does have some crashing issues on linux though. also the standard jre install fails

cake

• Ensign
  • I'm so tired
    • View Profile
Re: MOSS (Mod Organiser for StarSector): A standalone utility for managing mods
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2024, 02:31:02 PM »

this is a huge help for modding starsector. HOWEVER I have some features I'd heavily like to see in the mod manager- better folder scanning for mods, currently it doesn't handle the installs of certain mods well because the zip files are nested, like SEEKER, I'd also like to see the ability to replace the supported version of a mod, or sets of mods, since doing it manually is a pretty big timesink.
wonderful utility though, I'm not going back to manual

AtlanticAccent

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2024, 06:42:21 AM »

Hi,

I'm glad you're enjoying MOSS!

I'm currently in the middle of rewriting MOSS pretty heavily. However, I've just checked and mods like Seeker seem to be handled fine - nested folder handling has been part of MOSS from the very first version, seeing as handling them was one of the reasons I wrote it in the first place.

As for mass rewriting the supported game version in mods' mod_info.json files, it's something I've considered (it was also suggested to SMOL) and the conclusion I and others came to was that it would create more issues than it solves. It would encourage fairly reckless usage of mods between game versions, and whilst it is often the case that mods are fully compatible between versions they should be checked individually and carefully. If someone else were to write the code and contribute it, I would certainly consider integrating it, but it's not something I will spend my own time writing right now.

unlitoutsource

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2024, 11:37:47 AM »

FYI, I've created an AUR build for all archlinux, manjaro etc. users out there: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/starsector-mod-manager-rust

It actually builds the dynamic binary using rustup, so use your favourite AUR helper and wait a few minutes.

Unit tests are disabled for now, as the wisp jre links are dead and these tests fail.

I've installed the build myself and it immediately recognises all mods I had installed.

I did not test the custom JRE install, I am simply using the official archlinux openjdk8 build with a modified startup script. Works well enough.

Regards,
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 11:42:36 AM by unlitoutsource »

cake

• Ensign
  • I'm so tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2024, 04:10:18 PM »

Hi,

I'm glad you're enjoying MOSS!

I'm currently in the middle of rewriting MOSS pretty heavily. However, I've just checked and mods like Seeker seem to be handled fine - nested folder handling has been part of MOSS from the very first version, seeing as handling them was one of the reasons I wrote it in the first place.

As for mass rewriting the supported game version in mods' mod_info.json files, it's something I've considered (it was also suggested to SMOL) and the conclusion I and others came to was that it would create more issues than it solves. It would encourage fairly reckless usage of mods between game versions, and whilst it is often the case that mods are fully compatible between versions they should be checked individually and carefully. If someone else were to write the code and contribute it, I would certainly consider integrating it, but it's not something I will spend my own time writing right now.
I just tested it, and seeker still fails on my end- I'm on fedora 39, always failed to find mod folder or parse mod_info
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]