Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: SPAZ 2  (Read 15905 times)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: SPAZ 2
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 05:12:04 AM »

Hmm, I am reserved about this one. That "Hey look, a ship part. Let's snap it on and use it." raises some question marks for me.
And like Erick Doe, I like SPAZ' 2D sprites. These 3D ship parts seem overly colourful as well.

But I guess I'll see soon enough how it all works out.

reactorcore

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 06:35:06 AM »

While I prefer 2D sprites, I am happy that they went with the modular spaceship building / salvaging.

It reminds me of Captain Forever.

Try the link. It is a lot of fun if you have some time to goof around:
http://www.captainforever.com/captainforever.php

:)

Was just about to say that.  :D

The trailer gave me the impression like its completely 3D like Freelancer, but with Captain Forever ship building and the sauce of SPAZ universe of course.
Then I read the website for the game and got really excited about the metagame, where the world has 200 captains, doing stuff like you do, all persistent, fueling a massive alive galaxy with activity, alliances and survival happening in a natural way. That is just way cool.

Totally looking forward to getting this when it comes out.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 09:28:21 AM »

Looks kinda floaty. Doesn't grab me, and SPAZ never did either. Also, charmless 3D has been done to death.

But the features sound cool, and Captain Forever style ship building is great.

miljan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 12:38:24 PM »

I loved SPAZ 1, but this.... I am disappointed that they went full 3d. Also because of moduls the ships really look ugly  :(.

Starsector devs, if you ever do starsector 2, please, dont go 3D, there is nothing more atmospheric and better looking than a hand drawn sprite, that will make the game look good even after 20 years.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 01:32:31 PM »

I'm not sure I agree with the "20 years" thing; I think the main problem here is that they're using 3D rather badly; 1998-ish boxy objects plastered with team-colored glow aren't exactly my idea of classy spacecraft. 

I don't have any idea why they've kept the graphics that way, when they aren't exactly showing hundreds of ships in a fight.  The backgrounds also feel like they've lost a lot of the grim, dreary charm of the original; going full 3D should have offered a lot more opportunity to make it impressive.

I can understand if they're a bit constrained due to the "modules" part, but won't most of the ships not be modules?  I guess I'm a little confused about that part; if the whole game is about the Mother Ship and a tiny supporting cast, that's pretty unappealing, even if the Mother Ship is cool.

Anyhow, the gameplay looks like it might be fun-ish (although I must say that "oops, I just lost that important component to a RNG and now my ship is toast" gameplay doesn't immediately appeal) but after the grind-fest and sub-par pew-pew of the original, they'd really have to convince me that the next game will not be so mind-numbingly dull once the "ooh shiny" has worn off. 

Anyhow, we'll just have to see :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »

I'm excited. Looks fun and cool.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 01:53:23 AM »

I'm not sure I agree with the "20 years" thing; I think the main problem here is that they're using 3D rather badly; 1998-ish boxy objects plastered with team-colored glow aren't exactly my idea of classy spacecraft.

I know how you feel. Homeworld 1 came out during 1999 and the models and textures still looks a lot better than this, or at least a scale of view is presented that made the boxiness a little less noticeable.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 05:22:05 AM »

Homeworld & SPAZ are artistically & thematically so completely different I don't see the relevance of the comparison?

The SPAZ universe never took itself too seriously, and I'm glad SPAZ 2 appears to be keeping to this philosophy.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 07:39:33 AM »

Homeworld & SPAZ are artistically & thematically so completely different I don't see the relevance of the comparison?

You're right. They are different thematically and artistically. The secret to my post lies in the quote. The reason I brought it up was to support xenoargh's comment about the at-the-moment 3D graphics where not much effort seems to have been made to make it look good. Bringing up Homeworld is a way to tie in the 1998 comment while at the same time showing that low powered graphics can look good.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »

Imho, considering the SPAZ theme, they look about right graphic-wise. I also like the gratuitousness of the volleys, looks pretty damn epic.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »

One thing that makes me even more interested in SPAZ2 is that, according to what I read, the battles will be less arcadey. Quote: "Epic ship to ship battles. Tear the enemy apart piece by piece over minutes, instead of seconds."
The only problem I see with this is that SPAZ is known for its acadey feel and I think that it might end up driving away old fans...

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 04:53:11 PM »

that seems interesting. The one complaint I have about ss is that it's too floaty and things die way too fast (onslaught vs onslaught takes maybe 15 seconds).
mmm.... tartiflette

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »

that seems interesting. The one complaint I have about ss is that it's too floaty and things die way too fast (onslaught vs onslaught takes maybe 15 seconds).
The problem with that is two things: One is that it is an AI versus a human and the AI here is DESIGNED to make mistakes and not be a standard "cheating ****tard" AI. The second thing is that you are most likely going up against an Onslaught as a decently high level character while the enemy is a level zero.

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »

1st of all, I never level my character, I just feel it makes me too OP

2nd of all, I was talking about pure DPS wise, as in if I stand there with all my defense and let them pound on me, how long would I last
mmm.... tartiflette
Pages: 1 [2] 3