Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some artistic help on a crappy little game I'm making  (Read 4007 times)

weed33

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

So I'm a computer science student having just finished my first year and need something to do over the holidays, being familiar with java I came across the slick2D library. I immediately made a clone of flappy bird in a few hours and now I'm looking to be a little more ambitious. I'm a fan of vertical scrolling shooters so that's what I'm doing. It will involve a space fighter with both front mounted guns and a mouse aimable turret and you will be able to upgrade your ship as you go along.

However, I'm a *** artist :( So I came here to beg for permission to use some of the fantastic sprites the modding community here have come up with. I have no plans in selling the game it's entirely a 'for fun' project but I will most likely be putting it up for download on reddit and on these forums when it's done (if it doesn't totally suck of course...) for people to play around with so I thought it would be best to get permission first from the people who made them.

EDIT: I should also add that I will be giving credit to everyone who offers their art even if I don't use it in the end and to the modding community here in general. In fact I would be making a mod here instead of a game if I could make decent sprites.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:01:10 PM by weed33 »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Need some artistic help on a crappy little game I'm making
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:26:41 PM »

You can use the sprites from my [WIP] faction mod if you like. If you do, please let people know the sprites are from some mod for an awesome game called Starsector, which they can learn more about at http://fractalsoftworks.com

Good luck with your game! Let us know when you're done so we can try it :)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »

You can't redistribute your game, even for free, with SS kitbashes, without Alex's permission.  You need some original sprites that are distributable. 

For stuff like that, go to places like this:

http://opengameart.org

There's a neat tool I saw there to build original sprites:

http://www.part2art.com/
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »

I was getting ready to say that my ship sprites are fair game because they're not kitbashed, but now that I consider it they do use kitbashed turret mounts  :-\
The fighters and weapons also have parts from Starsector art.
weed33, if you decide you want to use any of my ship sprites, just let me know which ones and I'll send you copies that are free of any derivative art.

weed33

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:20:58 PM »

Yeah I did go to all the open sprite sources I could find and it's surprising how little I could find that would actually be usable for me. The vast majority of the stuff is top down and side on characters, hard to find 2D spaceship sprites though. So I was trying to follow a tutorial in the modding section here to produce my own and it just didn't work out too well. hat's when I realised how perfect a lot of the modders art here would be for what I wanted, particularly a lot of the fighters. I knew I couldn't use the SS art without permission but I didn't think about kitbashes though, I'll have to be careful to avoid them.

If it were just something like weapon mounts would I be able to pixel art over them and then be allowed to use them?

EDIT: Just checked out your mod, those are amazing, love the blue :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:25:39 PM by weed33 »

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:12:47 PM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

weed33

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »

I don't suppose you'll need monsters, do you?

Enemy variety is always nice

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »

Here, this is free and open source. It's based on the Part2Art.com stuff (credits due to Skorpio, who made the base sprites, under CC-BY-SA), and Wudisoft(creator of the sprite editor) with some pixel-love from me:

I don't have anything like the time it'd take for a whole crop of sprites, but this would make a good hero / mini-boss, and it shows what you can do with that ship creator program and a little work.  Good luck :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:01:06 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 07:50:07 PM »

Ooh sounds interesting! Feel free to use the art from here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7372.0. Absolutely 0% kitbash. Also wrote some music here which also is free to use. The only things in my mod that aren't really safe to use are the sound effects and some of the music (stick to the stuff on the soundcloud).

Only thing I require is proper attribution/credit (and maybe a link to the mod/music page?). Mostly just for portfolio purposes and whatnot

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Send me a PM when you end up posting the game somewhere (I wanna see my ships in action!  :D).

I might also recommend sending PMs to MesoTroniK and MShadowy and/or posting in the "Modding" subforum. They have some pretty great stuff that is kitbash-free (not sure about Cycerin's work, as a lot of it uses BSF sprites).

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 08:50:27 PM »

Here, one more for ya:

Xeno's Mod Pack

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 10:21:44 PM »

Anything I've posted here or on www.wyrdysm.com is fair game.
(I'd ask there too btw, those guys need something to do)