Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 753 (23.6%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 704 (22.1%)
More lore
- 206 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1423

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 208

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1787471 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards
« on: August 19, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »

[NOT YET COMPATIBLE WITH LATEST STARSECTOR VERSION]
Mod version 0.9.5a
NOTE: Requires GraphicsLib Download here.
NOTE: Requires MagicLib Download here.
Also requires LazyLib
Compatible with Nexerelin, Vesperon Combine

Adds the Blackrock Drive Yards Corporation, an unscrupulous corporate faction-state that has isolated itself in the southeast fringe of the Core Worlds. This mod includes a massive amount of new ships, weapons and other content, is fully compatible with GraphicsLib with shader maps and other content, and integrated with Nexerelin.

click to view screenshots:
Spoiler

[close]

GAMEPLAY INFO/TIPS:

Blackrock ships have bad to mediocre shields, average armor, good flux stats, excellent mobility, lots of firepower, and mix all weapon types. Every Blackrock ship has a built-in boost to active flux vent rate, meaning they can easily reset flux if given a breather: something you'll want to be doing often, due to the low endurance afforded by your shields.

They are excellent at crushing valuable targets and picking apart slow, but powerful ships. On the other hand, they struggle in fights where they can't find any breathing room for hit-and-run attacks, or against a numerically superior enemy that can flank and surround them. Using the faction's weapons, ships can be built for either high risk/high reward play, or low risk/low reward play. Certain ships break the mold and afford different playstyles.

MISC/EXTRAS:
MUSIC:
Mod Soundtrack by me (Click)

CREDITS:

Created by cycerin (design, sprites, sfx and music, implementation etc)

Code contributions from Dark.Revenant, LazyWizard, Sundog and Trylobot

Portraits and other art contributions from MShadowy and MesoTroniK

Writing by cycerin with some stuff from Dark.Revenant as well

Also, I'd like to thank:

Uomoz
Histidine
EnderNerdcore
LazyWizard
MesoTroniK
Tartiflette
Slaktus

and also Alex and the SS modding community for being great and always being an amazing resource for me and everyone else who likes tinkering around with 2d spaceships

Thank you so much to everyone who has brought me feedback and helped improve the mod since 2012!

Blackrock Drive Yards is a work in progress!

The content from Blackrock Drive Yards belongs to me unless otherwise credited or stated, and you can consider it licensed under Creative Commons / Attrib / Noncommercial for all rights and purposes.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 06:15:54 AM by Cycerin »

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »

Those things are very cool, look a bit like the link missing between mid and high tech ships.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »

This is fantastic work. Your post has been instantly converted to the status of Mod and suitably moved over to the "Mods" subforum. Congratulations and welcome to the modding community of Starfarer! When you have a playable download available I will happily add you to the Index as well.

More! 8)

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »

Coming from a background of playing Battleships Forever and building ships (since 2007) I decided to take some of my old BSF designs, refurbish them in photoshop, and turn them into SF vessels. Soon after, I realized it would be cool to have a faction too, with custom weapons, and custom ship systems, and so on, and so on...

After starting work a few days ago, so far I have a frig, destroyer and cruiser. The garish version of the destroyer is for a hunter-killer fleet consisting solely of elite destroyers (this baby's mostly engines.. I'd love to have a modded burn drive for it that doesn't disable maneuvering, but merely hinders it)

[Scarab, Desdinova, Desdinova II, Nevermore]

Having some trouble implementing my faction in the campaign and so on, but all the ships are up and running. Hopefully I'll have a download up soon! In the meantime, feedback and questions is more than welcome!

With the change to Maneuvering Jets (the speed increase + stacking with 0 flux bonus, unless I've gone crazy), that might be a viable option for your ship!

Also, they look fantastic.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:52:31 PM »

Or you can take the burndrive ( and preferably rename it something else/make it your own), in the ship_systems.csv and delete the True from the noturning column but it'll leave most of your turning intact but it'll feel like it turns sluggishly since your going in the forward direction mostly.

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:42:18 AM »

Or you can take the burndrive ( and preferably rename it something else/make it your own), in the ship_systems.csv and delete the True from the noturning column but it'll leave most of your turning intact but it'll feel like it turns sluggishly since your going in the forward direction mostly.

That should be a 5-star modding move -- smooth as velvet.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....

Vensalir

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:27:33 AM »

Those ships look great, can't wait to see the rest  :)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 04:00:23 AM »

Holy buggernuggetspaghettimonster!?!?! Those sprites are sublime! Can't wait to see more
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »

Trylobot, did you only do that to put pressure on me to deliver more? ;D I love the appreciation, this seems like a great community.

I ended up doing what FlashFrozen said, it works like a charm. The ship is an absolute monster when player-piloted, but the AI can't quite use it for the intended purpose (big plays, driveby shootin', and making Dominators feel insecure about their broad backsides)

The Desdinova-class Fast Destroyer is a marvel of optimized technology. Lacking the reach and resources needed to mass-produce phase technology, Blackrock still required a flexible mid line option that can outmaneuver other destroyers and avoid fighter wings. The result is a design that has mobility unheard of for a hull of its size - bristling with Blackrock-custom ballistic guns and sporting a gas-bleeding flux core built directly into the engine, this menacing, insectoid vessel is rapidly becoming the talk of private military contractors everywhere.

The special Arcjet Burner disengages the shield generator from the shield emitter and feeds excess flux from the entire shield powerplant into the drives, venting the resulting energy out with the engine torch to produce an astonishing volume of temporary acceleration. Magnetic coils that run alongside the flame catch and redirect instabilities, allowing the crew to maneuver the ship even at peak specific thrust. While Tri-Tachyon techs snort derisively and offer that it would have been better to simply implement a phase displacer or skimmer, it remains to be seen if this straight-forward approach will allow Blackrock to contend with high-tech destroyers.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:08:29 AM by Cycerin »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 08:21:31 AM »

Beautiful work, looking forward to more, more!
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Brainbread

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »

Trylobot, did you only do that to put pressure on me to deliver more? ;D I love the appreciation, this seems like a great community.

I ended up doing what FlashFrozen said, it works like a charm. The ship is an absolute monster when player-piloted, but the AI can't quite use it for the intended purpose (big plays, driveby shootin', and making Dominators feel insecure about their broad backsides)

The Desdinova-class Fast Destroyer is a marvel of optimized technology. Lacking the reach and resources needed to mass-produce phase technology, Blackrock still required a flexible mid line option that can outmaneuver other destroyers and avoid fighter wings. The result is a design that has mobility unheard of for a hull of its size - bristling with Blackrock-custom ballistic guns and sporting a gas-bleeding flux core built directly into the engine, this menacing, insectoid vessel is rapidly becoming the talk of private military contractors everywhere.

The special Arcjet Burner disengages the shield generator from the shield emitter and feeds excess flux from the entire shield powerplant into the drives, venting the resulting energy out with the engine torch to produce an astonishing volume of temporary acceleration. Magnetic coils that run alongside the flame catch and redirect instabilities, allowing the crew to maneuver the ship even at peak specific thrust. While Tri-Tachyon techs snort derisively and offer that it would have been better to simply implement a phase displacer or skimmer, it remains to be seen if this straight-forward approach will allow Blackrock to contend with high-tech destroyers.

Anyone who doesn't include descriptions on their ships is missing out. You could have just told us what the ship was for, its intended role, but that might garner only a "neat". Now I want to fly the damn thing =P

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »

Fantastic sprites. The screenshots are really good too. Quite immersive.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 10:40:09 AM »

This is very very impressive :D
What techniques did you use in photoshop to make those accents and alterations?

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:03:06 AM »

Everything in the book, really. Pixel by pixel editing, gradient washes, photo filters to get the desired color tone, and lots of highlighting and shadowing with soft light/vivid light paintbrush.

Anyone who doesn't include descriptions on their ships is missing out. You could have just told us what the ship was for, its intended role, but that might garner only a "neat". Now I want to fly the damn thing =P

I love fluff, and I love technobabble. Expect more of that. And flying. Expect some of that too. Eventually.

Updated OP with logo.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »

Everything about this is so cool, the sprites, the 'technobabble', the screenshots, the logo, the new system ...

I hope you realise the bar you have set yourself for your subsequent work  :D

Very much looking forward to more!

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 208