Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 601432 times)

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1830 on: April 23, 2021, 12:14:51 AM »

Well, before this patch +150 armor was incredibly huge, just a must-have for any ship. But you maybe forget that enemies won't have it now too, so since you are killing them way faster, you are getting way less damage. Cause there are usually more enemies than your ships it's not a bad change for your fleet to not be running of ppt at the middle of battle.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 23, 2021, 12:18:29 AM »

That's true, lower average survivability = higher impact of player ship.
The only issue is the skill tree structure, that makes player suffer for every tier that doesn't have a universally useful skill (RS is good, but only for a small subset of long ranged ships. It's also at least ok for just above average range ships).

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 23, 2021, 12:27:17 AM »

Yep, i like the idea to choose skills that you actually want instead of never-good-enough binary tiers. Especially if we have such a low number of skillpoints. Especially when there are permanent skills locking 1/3 of your sp pool. But maybe Alex will bring something new with another patch, or somehow improve that we have now.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: April 23, 2021, 12:29:06 AM »

Well, before this patch +150 armor was incredibly huge, just a must-have for any ship. But you maybe forget that enemies won't have it now too, so since you are killing them way faster, you are getting way less damage. Cause there are usually more enemies than your ships it's not a bad change for your fleet to not be running of ppt at the middle of battle.

Major cause of destruction for my frigates were random potshots or intense bursts from the large weapons. Frigate, DPSed down with the small arms fire, is my blatant mistake and nothing else.
My offensive package has already included effect of the old IM. AM Blasters and Reapers do not really care about it thanks to their huge single shot damage. No noticeable change in time to kill the target.

vholes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: April 23, 2021, 12:38:23 AM »

Hi,

A minor note - since at least 0.91 when I bought the game, the Linux version gives the relatively high severity error message

Security framework of XStream not initialized, XStream is probably vulnerable.

This shows up on the second and subsequent invocations of "sh starsector.sh > junk" in a terminal window.

Oh - hi! Just wanted to mention, this isn't something to worry about. This could be a problem if, say, a program using xstream was downloading random XML files off the internet and some of them could be malicious. But since we're talking about a self-contained game loading XML files it itself is generating, it's not a problem.

On a different note, a minor QOL improvement I would much appreciate would be basic cursor text editing so I could rename "ISS Ten Thousand LIghtyears" to "VS Ten Thousand Lightyears" without having to retype the whole name.  I love the starship names, they add a lot of colour, but the prefixes get changed when they join my fleet.  ;)

(Yeah - I'd love to add that in at some point! It's kind of a royal pain, though - an outsized amount of effort compared to the result - so it's just never made it to the top of the TODO pile.)

Hi Alex,

I'm impressed you are spending time looking at minor quibbles like mine.

Yeah, the security warning isn't a biggie, it's just the only one to reach that level of severity.  I have no feeling if initialisation would be a one-line call or stupidly complicated.  My IT reflexes are to eventually nail ALL warning or higher level messages, it is amazing what comes out of the woodwork.  But doing this isn't productive in a feature development sense.

I've written that same cursor editing code several times over the years so I'm underestimating complications.  I'll live, you have plenty of more rewarding things to do.

Thanks for all your efforts!

oooh_senpai

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: April 23, 2021, 12:40:17 AM »

Major cause of destruction for my frigates were random potshots or intense bursts from the large weapons. Frigate, DPSed down with the small arms fire, is my blatant mistake and nothing else.
My offensive package has already included effect of the old IM. AM Blasters and Reapers do not really care about it thanks to their huge single shot damage. No noticeable change in time to kill the target.
You want undead frigates, don't you? I'm pretty sure that's how it should work when small ships stay on the battlefield along with capitals and 25 dp cruisers.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1836 on: April 23, 2021, 12:44:13 AM »

Random no-I-won't-explain thought: Buff IM back to +100 effective armor for damage reduction, or make the +50 be real armor.*

*Actually, no, that's worse once your armor gets stripped. Which just goes to show that the implementation is messed up: Fake armor is better than real armor, because fake armor can't be destroyed.

stg7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: April 23, 2021, 12:56:29 AM »

What would be nice is a reroll button to randomise a ship's name
because i'm uncreative

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: April 23, 2021, 12:59:10 AM »

because i'm uncreative

Being Uncreative is itself creativity ;) just name it anything and work on it. One of my modded ships is called the Phazon just mix-up stuff.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: April 23, 2021, 01:03:40 AM »

You want undead frigates, don't you? I'm pretty sure that's how it should work when small ships stay on the battlefield along with capitals and 25 dp cruisers.

I want synergy between EWM and IM. Frigates didn't became undead with the old skill. It was the Derelict Contingent what made them this way. What IM did is what it noticeably lowered random loses.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: April 23, 2021, 01:14:41 AM »

because i'm uncreative
I'll second that!

What I usually end up doing is taking the original ship name and then just try rearranging and removing parts of the original name until something sounds like it might work.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: April 23, 2021, 03:00:21 AM »

I didn't even notice IM's impact on frigates. It did make that one Hegemony bounty harder, because even though I was making progress, I just run out of PPT and so did my fleet.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: April 23, 2021, 04:35:11 AM »

@Megas
In my last game I didn't have any Pather interest (or at least I don't remember having any problems with them) despite having heavy industries with a Nanoforge and fuel production with a Synchrotron.  My hostility though isn't quite at 100% (89%), maybe that is the reason for that?  I've also never had Free Port on at any of my colonies. It's kind of nice not being bothered by the Ludic Path, though there still is a decent amount of pirate raids and expeditions.
Which release did you play?  As soon as I updated to RC14, at least three more core worlds (Sindria, Aztlan, and one other) that did not have cells previously suddenly got them. 

Also, if your colony was size 3, then cells never appear until size grows to 4.  (If I plan to then spam spam Alpha colonies, I plan to keep all of those colonies at size 3.)

Like I wrote before, as soon as I installed items into Ground Defenses and Patrol HQ, my colony got a Pather cell because both items added +4 interest each.  Nanoforge and Synchrotron still add +4 interest, so I know I will get a cell if I put those two together on a colony bigger than size 3.

Re: Impact Mitigation
The main reason to take it now is less damage to weapons and engines.  If not for that, I would take Ranged Specialization because 800 range is not very long.  Even Harbinger can strike at about 1000 range with Q. Disruptor (enhanced by Systems Expertise) and Phase Lances with range extensions, and getting max range is not hard with a capital.  I wonder if Mine Strike counts for Ranged Specialization.

Impact Mitigation lost too much protection.  Now I am considering dropping my frigates and chain deploy solo phase ships (Harbinger or Doom) to take out their small ships across multiple rounds until only the big ships are left, then deploy my fleet against their weakened fleet.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:40:03 AM by Megas »

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: April 23, 2021, 05:06:39 AM »

Which release did you play?  As soon as I updated to RC14, at least three more core worlds (Sindria, Aztlan, and one other) that did not have cells previously suddenly got them. 

Also, if your colony was size 3, then cells never appear until size grows to 4.  (If I plan to then spam spam Alpha colonies, I plan to keep all of those colonies at size 3.)

Like I wrote before, as soon as I installed items into Ground Defenses and Patrol HQ, my colony got a Pather cell because both items added +4 interest each.  Nanoforge and Synchrotron still add +4 interest, so I know I will get a cell if I put those two together on a colony bigger than size 3.

I may of dived in at the wrong time (sorry), this was on RC12 before I ran the update.  The planets are all at maximum population, I think this one should of gained their attention:
Spoiler
[close]

Still I was surprised I didn't get any Pather interest at all in this game, though the Pirates and expeditions still kept me busy.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: April 23, 2021, 05:18:41 AM »

I may of dived in at the wrong time (sorry), this was on RC12 before I ran the update.  The planets are all at maximum population, I think this one should of gained their attention:
Spoiler
[close]

Still I was surprised I didn't get any Pather interest at all in this game, though the Pirates and expeditions still kept me busy.
You will probably get Pather cells after updating to RC14.  More core worlds suddenly got cells after the update, and they are not completely loaded like your colony.

Playing whack-a-hole Pathers at least once a year is annoying when there are also pirates and expeditions to deal with, and you still have things you want to do that take time.  There is a reason why I am obsessed with destroying all of the core worlds, namely to stop the expeditions.

However, I suppose the "Stabilize" option can be considered a bribe.  Maybe keep stability 10 at all times and "Stabilize" when the Pathers roll their 25% to penetrate your stability force.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:20:47 AM by Megas »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 146