Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New player lotsa questions?  (Read 936 times)

Darkarson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
New player lotsa questions?
« on: April 12, 2024, 06:48:26 PM »

Hi all,

Love this game, got a variety of fleets and weapons. One question is how do I make money smuggling? When I get the drugs/organs from my colony resource stockpile it seems to be an overall loss when I sell.

I want to setup my colonies but I just don't have the cash. Before I was farming Galatia Academy missions for large amounts of cash because they had no time limit but after those missions I seem to be locked out now!

Another question, I don't understand fleet doctrines at all LOL!

Final thing, A picture of my colonies? maybe I suck? there are more planets in the system I want to colonize but I don't have the funds.

eert5rty7u8i9i7u6yrewqdef

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New player lotsa questions?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 07:08:47 PM »

Hi all,

Love this game, got a variety of fleets and weapons. One question is how do I make money smuggling? When I get the drugs/organs from my colony resource stockpile it seems to be an overall loss when I sell.

I want to setup my colonies but I just don't have the cash. Before I was farming Galatia Academy missions for large amounts of cash because they had no time limit but after those missions I seem to be locked out now!

Final thing, A picture of my colonies? maybe I suck? there are more planets in the system I want to colonize but I don't have the funds.

Colonies you control allow you to take resources at 100% their market value. In order to turn a profit, you have to sell to colonies that buy above market value. To make even more profit you have to buy what you intend to sell at below market value. Pirate activity, and trade disruptions decrease a colonies accessibility, which decreases/increases the cost of their exports and imports respectively.
The most profitable way to sell is to kill an AI trade fleet for their goods, and then sell them to the colony they were traveling to. Piracy is the most profitable form of smuggling.

Select ships and weapons you want your faction to produce for defense fleets, you have to have heavy industry, and then select the other options that complement your choice of prioritized ships. As an example, if you want Paragon spam with aggressive officers defending your system, select the Paragon, set fleet size to max, set ship size to max, set warships to max, and set AI to aggressive.

Colony stability effects your income. You are losing 40% of your income for a 25% increase to your income from Commerce, a net loss of 15%. Either remove Commerce or build an Orbital Station and then upgrade it to a Battle Station. While you're at it, add mining on Salero, the organics are worth having.

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 08:42:22 PM »

Hi all,

Going one by one:
Colonies stockpiles cost 100% base cost to withdraw from. There's usually better deals out there, you can mouse over the item in question to see highs and lows currently in the sector. However, selling (and buying) on the open market is going to eat through profits because of the 30% tariff. That means using the black market. Basically, find a location that has a surplus of whatever you want to smuggle then take it somewhere that has a shortage for max profits. Don't sell too much at one place though as the price you are selling at is dynamic as you are selling. Dropping 500 drugs on a market will get your more per unit than dropping 5000.

You should have gotten Sebestyen as a contact if you still want to do those science missions but they are kind of low profit per time compared to other contacts. Look in bars for military missions or trade missions, doing those can get you a contact and if they are high importance, they can give very lucrative missions after doing a few. Later military contact bounties can give upwards of 1 million. You should also have some other contacts from doing the Galatia questline like Ryan from Tri Tach who is pretty good since he is high importance and both military and trade missions, or Ibrahim who is medium trade iirc.

Fleet doctrine almost doesn't matter at all. The only important setting is aggression since that setting affects any unofficered non-automated ships in your fleet. All the other settings are just for aesthetics or if you happen to be fighting in your own system.

You colonies have low stability, especially that first one. Get it to 5 stability at least. That's the point at which colony income starts being reduced. A station gives 1 stability and each upgrade to it gives another stability. I can't see what else is affecting your stability but if the system doesn't have a comm relay that's 2 stability as well. Your other colonies are low size so they won't make a ton of money just yet. Also once you start getting in-faction imports covered their income will go up as well. If your colonies can get what they need from each other instead of relying on out of faction imports then upkeep decreases, by up to 50% if all demands are met.
You might want to put a light industry and mining on the size 6. Light industry has crappy profit margins (without free port anyway) but it will reduce upkeep on all your colonies. Mining is for the organics to supply light industry. Your other planets look ok, if you have a mantle bore for Ib to cover ores for a refinery.

majk

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 02:23:14 AM »

My solution to all money problems: do all military bounties from bar missions, find high/very high contacts and get them to 100% asap.
They will keep giving you 300k-700k bounties and you can sell the weapons you loot for an extra 100kish.

Darkarson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 07:59:04 AM »

Thanks for all the tips and info you guys rock!

The system I'm in doesn't have a slot for a com relay! also the rest of the planets are like 200 hazard should i still colonize them?

Thanks!

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 08:11:36 AM »

The system I'm in doesn't have a slot for a com relay! also the rest of the planets are like 200 hazard should i still colonize them?
Make a slot. Either destroy existing infrastructure or create a new slot by interacting with the central star.

Depends on the resources but probably not? If you have a mantle bore, putting it on Ib will cover ores, your main planet has organics and food, and the gas giant has volatiles so you have everything covered resource wise at that point. If you don't have a mantle bore and one of those planets has +1 (with admin or alpha core or improvement) or +2 ores/rare ores, then sure.

Darkarson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 10:37:20 AM »

Hi Phenir,

How do I add a slot? there isn't one available in the system! What do you mean interact with the main star, I believe you don't mean fly into the sun? lol

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 10:45:36 AM »

Yup. Click on the sun and it will tell you to use an alpha core (consumed) to create a stable point.

TheFreind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 01:59:05 PM »

In my opinion, your colonies are solid planets with great potential in making loads'a'money. They're a bit low on the resource deposit side, but prime real estate in the sector is a rarity. Here are some ways to improve them:

1) Find some colony items! They dramatically boost your production, given the correct planet type and conditions. Most colony items can only be found by exploring the galaxy at large, so it's random. Look for Research Stations, Mining Stations, Survey Ships, and Motherships. Finding them and figuring out how to use them is part of the fun!   ;)
--1a) A recent update made it so that the Mothership has a guaranteed drop for 1 of 3 possible Colony Items. Two motherships will spawn per galaxy.
--1b) Neutron Stars, Blackholes, and in my experience, plenty of Gas Giants in Nebula systems have a high chance of having Research stations.
--1c) Most factions have a few colony items installed on their worlds... and you can steal them with Marines in a raid! But it's usually pretty hard. Blow up the station, find ways to reduce stability, or do a targeted bombardment to soften the ground defenses up.

2) The key to high income is a high population (they increase all production + more slots for money making industries) and accessibility. Accessibility is important for aforementioned pop growth, as well as determining market share %. When there's a comm relay in the system, and you're on a colony screen, you can click on the commodities on the side to open up the market. There, you can see how valuable each good is and how much your faction is raking in. Long story short, the more accessible you are, the easier it is for the goods to reach the Core consumers!

3) Your industries demand certain commodities for production. If your faction at large can produce these commodities, you will be rewarded with up to a -50% Industry upkeep discount. Since most of your colonies have average/high hazard rating, that is putting a big dent on your profit. The discount will help tremendously.

4) Do your administrators have any special skills? The ones that do are much more expensive in salary, so I advise employing him on your high population colonies with lots of industries. Then, his skills will outweigh his cost!

5) Installing AI cores. Do not spam install Gamma cores, there's some complex market math that can end up making you less money. But nullifying a commodity shortage you can't seem to fix is 100% worth it. Beta cores provide a -25% industry upkeep discount, so they're great. Last but not least, Alpha Cores are very rare, very profitable, and very dangerous. However, there's minimal penalty to installing them directly in an industry of your choice to supercharge. Try slotting one in the Commerce on your Tundra world!

6) Lastly, maintain minimum 5 stability on all of your worlds. Like other posters have mentioned, every point of stability below 5 incurs a -20% total colony income per difference. High stability is good for defense purposes, so come back to that later when you inevitably drown in infinite cash!

Go forth, and employ these moolah principles. Come back again if you have questions, I left you lots of room to do exploring on your own!  :)

Darkarson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 06:55:55 PM »

I dont understand how to install the core on the sun?

Tranquility

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 08:15:36 PM »

I dont understand how to install the core on the sun?

You can interact with the central star of any star system by clicking on it, just as you would with any other interactable objects. Since the star's corona will try to push you away, you can use the "Emergency Burn" ability to counteract that pushing effect and get close enough to interact with the star.

Interacting with the star should bring up an option to create a stable point on the star system; it'll require 1 Alpha Core, 200 Heavy Machinery, and 500 Fuel to accomplish. Doing so will consume the 500 Fuel (the Alpha Core and Heavy Machinery are not consumed) to make a new stable location in the star system. If there's already 1 stable location, this option also requires 2 Story Points, and the option is unavailable if there's already 2 or more stable locations.

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2024, 08:47:54 PM »

Do not spam install Gamma cores, there's some complex market math that can end up making you less money.
This hasn't been a thing almost since colonies were introduced. Your own colonies don't contribute to total market share so reducing their demand through gamma cores (and higher ones) doesn't reduce income ever. See the notes of patch 0.9.1a, "Income from exports no longer counts demand at player colonies for total market value". You still don't really need to spam them though, especially with the new hostile activity system.

Fenrir

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2024, 07:54:30 AM »

Yup. Click on the sun and it will tell you to use an alpha core (consumed) to create a stable point.
I don't think the core is consumed but fuel and machinery.
*cough* try tossing the PK into a black hole *cough*

Darkarson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2024, 02:06:51 PM »

Hi guys!

love this game so much i accidently stayed up till 5 am LOL! I'm 40 so that's a bit much for me!

Some new questions! Basically to do with battle.

I am getting my ass slammed by remnant, the pure alpha of the radiant is unstoppable even with a paragon! Also it seems tachyons suck now, so where do i get new weapons? I found a tesseract but that absolutely slapped my head into the dirt I want to build a hyper shunt for more industry lol! Also found my 3rd mothership ( i thought there was only 2? ) it has HELLA Guardian battleships like 6, I'm totally blown away by there ridiculousness, how do I combat that?

I have the ziggurat (awesome ship but I dont think i have the right fit for it) and stuff but the weapons on that also suck! i got the cache in the alpha site but it weird it only had two smaller cannons not the rift cascader i was hoping for:( Any tips would be appreciated! I just fought off the Tri-Trachyons OP story buffed fleet ( holy crap they ruined all my fleet! like 80+ ships lol)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2024, 02:26:51 PM »

The actual reason you shouldn't install gamma cores on planets is you should instead spend them to improve relations with whichever faction you want to improve relations with.
Pages: [1] 2