Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm SO sorry, my love...  (Read 1999 times)

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
I'm SO sorry, my love...
« on: July 16, 2024, 04:00:00 PM »

I...I've been unfaithful.  I feel like I've committed marital infidelity.  I've fallen in love with a new ship.  It's the Retribution.  It...it doesn't even have an ammo feeder! :o  It's so mobile and powerful and durable and it can run THREE mjolnirs!  And it's only 11 more DP than the Atlas mk II!  I just...I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF!  I found one and gave it to an officer but then I tried flying it myself and it felt so wrong...yet so right.  Now I'm flying it with my atlas still right there next to it in the fleet formation screen!

I feel like such deviant two-timing scum!  I'M SO SORRY ATLAS, PLEASE FORGIVE ME! :'(

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
Re: I'm SO sorry, my love...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 05:13:29 PM »

I'm impressed you can pilot a 3 Maj Retribution, feels like a serious gamble given it's defensive profile

Rusty Edge

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2024, 06:48:32 PM »

The retribution is the perfect puddy that fills all the holes in a low tech enjoyer's heart. Now you can have that slow, vulnerable, eclectic fleet of trash without having to worry about those pesky high tech frigates and strike cruisers ruining your day.

Atlas MK 2 may have been your first love. But the retribution will be the mother of your children.

All that said, you're a mess and I recommend you get marital counseling.

TK3600

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2024, 08:01:24 PM »

Now start flying the big beautiful Nova from AI and feel the inadequecy of Retribution. It is a Retribution but better in every way.

Phenir

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2024, 08:04:49 PM »

Now start flying the big beautiful Nova from AI and feel the inadequecy of Retribution. It is a Retribution but better in every way.
It doesn't shoot bullets

TK3600

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2024, 08:09:56 AM »

It doesn't shoot bullets
Autopulse shoot energy bullets.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2024, 10:58:06 AM »

It doesn't shoot bullets
Autopulse shoot energy bullets.

AWAY, vile temptations!  I have already betrayed my Atlas; you shall not tempt me away from my beloved Mjolnir as well!

Mishrak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2024, 12:12:55 PM »

You haven't lived until you've used Devastators on a Retribution.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2024, 12:47:30 PM »

You haven't lived until you've used Devastators on a Retribution.

Yeah deva/storm needler makes sense for it's burst role.
I'm still gawking at the 3 Maj build.

Beep Boop

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2024, 01:46:56 PM »

I'm impressed you can pilot a 3 Maj Retribution, feels like a serious gamble given it's defensive profile
Mjolnir doesn't really seem like a good pick for Retribution given the poor flux efficiency and uninspiring flux stats on the ship.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2024, 10:23:13 PM »

Built out the way I do it, I can fire those three mjolnirs for a LONG time if my shield isn't hideously pressured.  Also since it works well against shields and armor equally, I don't have a care in the world WHAT I'm shooting at because I'm heating it up and tearing it down.  If I feel like I need to downflux a bit, I just let off the trigger for a second, pull back a bit, then jump right back in as soon as the enemy thinks he's safe to vent.

It's honestly funny to me how unpopular mjolnir seems to be; it's demanding, sure, but if you can meet that flux and OP demand, it will GET WORK DONE.  It might not have the sheer anti-armor punch of a hellbore or the shield popping stab of a gauss cannon but the solid damage, rate of fire and EMP bonus mean it CANNOT be ignored in a fight, especially when I have THREE of them on a ship that can gap close on demand.

Rusty Edge

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2024, 06:11:58 AM »

Retribution has pretty good flux (for a low tech ship). I found that it can handle The Hephaestus fairly well with a couple mark 9s, mortars and light needlers or daul light acs.
But It also has enough turrets that you can really treat it up even with budget weapons.
 I would like to see how it could fair with the reworked storm needlers, mining blasters and some bursty smalls. Seems like it would be nice for bullying high tech nerds.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2024, 06:17:41 AM »

I would like to see how it could fair with the reworked storm needlers, mining blasters and some bursty smalls. Seems like it would be nice for bullying high tech nerds.
That is very similar to a build I tried in one of my previous campaigns, and it's the epitome of glass cannon. Ridiculous burst potential but you have to kinda go all in on damage and forgo the tanking hullmods.

Basically I went full magazine mode, using a Storm Needler, 2 Mining Blasters and 2 Thumpers. The side larges were Devstators and I also had 2 Light Needlers in the front. Everything else Vulcan Cannons and then your missile of choice. You obviously have to s-mod Exp Mags and also Flux Distributor if you want, but most of all, 50 vents and as much caps as you can fit is crucial.

This made for one of the most fun ships to pilot in the game, and I bet the one I died most with lmao.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Rusty Edge

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2024, 06:39:18 AM »

Kind of turns the game into agar.io. where you either immediately eat your target, or it immediately eats you.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2024, 08:13:03 AM »

Yeah I pretty much just loaded it up with flaks and vulcans and let the triple mjolnirs do the work.  With all that PD the enemy has to launch a SERIOUS missile barrage to get anything through; I can even shoot down a fair number of missiles with the mjolnirs if I feel inclined.  It might falter against the mightiest of the mighty but dear LUDD does it punch down on everything else.  With all the dashes it can be a pretty tremendous flanker too; note that hitting that dash almost completely resets your inertia, allowing near instant directional changes.  Get it enough maneuverability and it can skip around to an onslaught's back.

Feels like a pretty damn good bargain for only 35 DP.
Pages: [1] 2