Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Author Topic: question for Alex  (Read 769 times)

majorfreak

• Captain
    • View Profile
question for Alex
« on: May 26, 2024, 10:56:04 PM »

re: Selling recovered ships while undercrewed

Assuming you know that when you have a fleet that's fully repaired and crewed, then bring to station a bunch of damaged hulks you 'recover' from the battlefield - but don't have enough crew to man it to skeleton level - and you sell said hulks (after repairing them or not, preferably former since you do get more out of it than you put in...tariffs willing) the rest of your healthy fleet takes CR damage at each sale.

Assuming you do, what's your rationale/justification for such an event? I'd love to know your thinking behind that strange mechanic.

Personally, I assumed that if i am on a battlefield near a open market i could quickly recover the hulks, run to station, repair everything to get maximum credits on sale, thus avoiding a prolonged situation where my CR slowly drops because i am under crewed. I figured the hit while travelling to station would be lower than my profit margins.

But i was shocked at WHILE DOCKED i would incur a massive hit to my fleet's CR just by selling those ships individually.

--------------
note: obviously I've gotten the workaround down pat. when i plan on looting a battlefield i either just mothball the damn things and sell to a black market somewhere, or buy at least a thousand cheap crew just beforehand, sell the repaired ships after repairing them to an open/black market nearby, then sell the crew at some station's blackmarket that has a shortage of them quickly so to avoid too much salary/payroll issues.

majorfreak

• Captain
    • View Profile
followup to footnote
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 10:58:19 PM »

i forgot to mention that i find the hassle of recovering and selling repaired ships, along with the crew buy low/sell high, is two things:
(1) double the profit of selling the mothballed straight out to blackmarks
(2) fun in the sense that it's a player driven storyline arc/mission

Beep Boop

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: question for Alex
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 01:50:52 AM »

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here, but I've not observed your remaining ships taking CR damage as a result of selling ships while undercrewed. Having your fleet go undercrewed penalizes the CR of all ships and seems to inflict damage over time on top, but the actual act of shedding ships instantaneously doesn't cause further damages. If you go undercrewed, then immediately shed the surplus ships or acquire more crew, the CR penalty evaporates instantaneously because it's not actually causing instant damage, only damage over time.

Bungee_man

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 09:05:08 AM »

First off, there's a very deliberate mechanic where what you're doing is suboptimal - carrying around derelict ships would get annoying if it were the ideal way to make money, so they don't sell for much, and the supplies you'd get from salvaging them directly are worth more.

Secondly, you're going to want to mothball any ships that you can't man. No required crew, no CR drop - it just sits in your fleet. Ideal for when you find a ship you want to use, but can't crew it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 10:19:07 AM »

I don't understand this. Just trying it real quick, I'm seeing the remaining ships' CR go *up* with every sale, as you'd expect it to given that their crew fraction goes up when another ship is removed from your fleet.

(More than likely you'd be better off just breaking the ships for supplies, anyway, but that's a separate question.)

Princess_of_Evil

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 10:54:39 AM »

While you're carrying a ship that you can't fully pilot, and it isn't mothballed, the rest of the ships slowly decay CR since they aren't fully piloted either.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 11:38:43 AM »

Right, that's normal and "how it works", but to me that doesn't sound like what the OP meant? Maybe I'm missing something.

Beep Boop

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 03:57:12 PM »

While you're carrying a ship that you can't fully pilot, and it isn't mothballed, the rest of the ships slowly decay CR since they aren't fully piloted either.
Yes, but that's damage-over-time rather than instant damage. The existing ships take a CR penalty that persists as long as you are undercrewed, and takes gradual damage over time on top, but because it takes time for that damage to occur, if you immediately fix the problem in zero time, you suffer no permanent damage.

majorfreak

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2024, 08:17:08 AM »

I don't understand this. Just trying it real quick, I'm seeing the remaining ships' CR go *up* with every sale, as you'd expect it to given that their crew fraction goes up when another ship is removed from your fleet.

(More than likely you'd be better off just breaking the ships for supplies, anyway, but that's a separate question.)
sorry, i'll try and make a video that shows the bug. it's definitely a bug. hopefully it's related to a mod I installed. I'll try to replicate using vanilla at some point soon.

my remaining ships' CR goes *down* with every sale or every scuttle, when the fleet is undercrewed.

...and i'm not 100% positive, but i think when that happens and i get the option to 'repair' at station, my CR isn't repaired as well for the fleet. (not sure whether i'm interpreting something else though so don't quote me)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 08:21:06 AM by majorfreak »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2024, 07:35:40 PM »

Mouse over the CR bars before and after and see if the tooltip shows what's changed.