Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 601446 times)

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1335 on: April 01, 2021, 06:17:46 PM »

I did indeed do that, so I guess that means my XP rate is gonna be messed up, though I should mention that it was still like, hundreds of millions of bonus XP - more than I could ever hope to accumulate in a reasonable game, and that's without ever getting more.

I wonder - it might be worthwhile to just convert ALL of the deferred bonus XP to story points when the player maxes out their level. Since they're not gaining levels at that point, parceling out the XP piecemeal doesn't seem super necessary. That might create a weird incentive to spend the points right before reaching max level, though... maybe the "deferred" bonus XP can just spend 10x more quickly, or something. I'm definitely on board with the idea of somehow giving the player those spent SP back more quickly, though - having a huge backlog to eat through for forever isn't great.

Edit: I'd also appreciate more feedback on how the new/reduced XP requirements for SP past max level feel! Though, yeah, given a pre-RC12 save does make that kind of impossible.

I don't have a concrete solution right now other than the vague idea that working through the backlog should be faster, though I think this is putting us into another snag created by having Story Points and Player Level progress along the same XP bar.  Even if you drastically increase the rate at which players gain their Story Points after the level cap, that still means a player that frequently spends rebated Story Points is liable to have those rebates locked up until rather late in the game.  It feels like it would be better for those to come back to you sooner, maybe within a level or two (or, in more practical terms after maybe a couple hours of playing).  Right now you can't do that because there's no way to give back the SP faster without also giving the player the next level along with them, but to me this just looks like another symptom of Player Level and Story Points causing conflicts when they're tied to the same number.

If Story Points had their own, separate bar, you could set them up for a smoother curve over the course of the game.  Like I said previously, it didn't feel intuitive to me to have them pouring in at a time when I had relatively little to spend them on and then slow down dramatically when I was ready to put them to work.  The early glut and the feeling that I was wasting equity by having them sit in my pocket was part of what contributed to me stacking up a massive backlog of Bonus XP - I was just throwing them at any green text with a 100% bonus so I felt like I was at least getting something out of them.

Putting them on their own bar also let you rebate them more aggressively without worrying about turbocharging the player's overall progression.  Off the top of my head, you could solve the backlog problem in this case by letting rebates overlap, at least to an extent.  Get Tech 5 and go refit your fleet with their third S-Mods?  Whatever, stack it up to 700% instead of tacking another two levels worth of Bonus XP to the end of the line - not like it's breaking anything in this case, and the idea of rebate is to give the player back their points.  Realistically you'd probably want to do something a little more elegant with the numbers than that, but I think that makes a case for the basic idea.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 06:21:40 PM by Voyager I »

HiddenPorpoise

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 01, 2021, 06:20:57 PM »

I wonder - it might be worthwhile to just convert ALL of the deferred bonus XP to story points when the player maxes out their level. Since they're not gaining levels at that point, parceling out the XP piecemeal doesn't seem super necessary. That might create a weird incentive to spend the points right before reaching max level, though... maybe the "deferred" bonus XP can just spend 10x more quickly, or something. I'm definitely on board with the idea of somehow giving the player those spent SP back more quickly, though - having a huge backlog to eat through for forever isn't great.
If it were me, I'd just multiply the bonus payout rate by how many story points are in the backlog.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 01, 2021, 06:28:32 PM »

A few colonies are story-critical and can't decivilize until you've done the relevant story missions.

That feels really artificial since it blocks natural game mechanics with no in-world explanation. If having the missions work differently based on your actions is too much work, why not let the colonies decivilize normally and instead just have alternate flavor text when you do the mission thing? i.e instead of meeting a story character at a bar, you meet them in a shelter among the lawless remnants of the population.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: April 01, 2021, 06:37:59 PM »

is it just me, or do certain planets not decivilize anymore?
i have been trying to raid these pirates out of the system for 15 years now and they are still just rolling around

A few colonies are story-critical and can't decivilize until you've done the relevant story missions.
[/quote]

i take it "Donn", the pirate world in the try tachyon "core system" is one of those story relevant missions?

that is actually way more annoying than youd think, considering i had planned to take that world for a long time now

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 01, 2021, 06:52:32 PM »

Maybe after some time, like after a month or the start of a new year, you get a story point for free and/or pay off xp debt.  It is not like the player will wait around doing nothing for so long, except maybe babysitting a colony.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: April 01, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »

Edit: I'd also appreciate more feedback on how the new/reduced XP requirements for SP past max level feel! Though, yeah, given a pre-RC12 save does make that kind of impossible.

Essentially wrapping up my first run (which started in RC9 and is on RC12 now), with all the bonus XP I'm gaining SP at a fairly rapid clip.  Essentially 1 per end game fight because of the backlog of bonus XP and the fact I'm using a relatively compact fleet (5 capitals, 4 cruisers + logistics ships).  At this point, I've started S-modding my logistics fleet of Revenant cargo ships, to add surveying equipment in addition to expanded cargo holds and auxiliary fuel tanks.  I've spent 10 on personal skills, 38 SP in hull mods, another 10 invested in colonies, and spent about 17 on officers (fired one and replaced with a found level 6).  Another 5-10 have been spent on other things like escaping a fleet early game, recovering my flagship twice, some story line dialog options because they sounded interesting, and historian blueprints.  So late game, I feel like I've got plenty of story points at the new rate.  Although I was already post level 15 at the time RC12 came out.  XP tool tip says I've got 32 million bonus XP still.

Speaking of s-mods on Revenants, I find it slightly odd they count as combat ships, and thus count against Weapon Drills, yet can't be equipped with weapons.  Are they missing the civilian-grade hull mod, or is that intentional?  Are there other reasons they aren't civilian (to prevent militarized subsystems?).  Maybe they need a built in non-combatant hull mod that makes them not count against combat DP skill limits?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1341 on: April 01, 2021, 08:35:24 PM »

Alex, I want to poke you on the skills thing a bit:

I'm not choosing a playstyle with my skill points, because I don't have enough for even one playstyle.
Hmm - I'm not sure that "being able to pick absolutely every single thing that improves X" is a super reasonable definition of "having enough for a playstyle".
For personal combat skills, it turns out you can actually get pretty close! (double back through entire Combat aptitude, then pick one skill each from the Tech 2 and Industry 2 pairs, for 12/14). Fleet combat buff skills too (11/14 with a double Leadership line and single Technology line).

More to the point though:
If you want some fleetwide or combat buffs in general, they're always available, even if the specific skills that are available may not be the ones you want. Like, if you want a missile buff in particular then having to get all the way to Combat 5 is annoying, but there are other skills you can get instead that are also pretty good. Players investing in Technology and Industry can also pick up some handy combat skills in their own aptitudes (albeit this is a double-edged sword, they may not want combat skills).

Colony skills? It takes 5 skill points to get the first skill. Then 5 to get the next. Then 5 to get the next! (and now we're out of skill points)

Have you seen my thread here? Not necessarily the specific mechanics changes proposed, but rather the discussion about what people want from their skills and the barriers in the current system.

Demiglace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: April 01, 2021, 08:50:32 PM »

Does anyone find it incredibly difficult to justify bringing midline/high tech ships in your fleet? I continue to get zerged by pirate fleets/armadas. I can only deploy 8 ships (140) supply vs their 25+ and i get overwhelmed and sending in reinforcements is almost impossible because of the time delay if you aren't next to the bottom of the map. I feel like my fleet combination is good ,however, i can't deploy enough of them to justify spending all the extra maintenance cost and crew they require.

I don't play super aggressive I usually tell all my ships to guard my capital ship and i pilot it pretty conservatively.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 08:56:45 PM by Demiglace »

Farlarzia

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: April 01, 2021, 09:11:22 PM »

High tech ships are generally speed demons - they're masters at being able to pick and choose fights against less agile foes, kiting them while waiting for an opportune moment, which also works well at making the enemy fleet scattered, further playing into this by then being able to take out any stragglers before they can regroup with their superior speed.

By tying them down to your capital, you're removing most of this utility - they're not slow hefty brawlers like low tech. Which is why you're going to get 'rushed' down against a foe with superior numbers with that tactic - that'll let the enemies make a huge death ball, where it becomes hard to attack into them, as any time you damage a ship it'll just retreat as another takes its place, slowly whittling down your inferior numbers.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: April 01, 2021, 09:34:52 PM »

@Voyager I: Hmm - lots to think about there. I don't *think* getting those SP back really becomes an issue until max level, though - I mean, ok, you can have a bit of a backlog, but until you get to the level cap, that backlog is also helping you level up faster, so it feels pretty good. It's once you get the max level that the backlog can feel like "waiting a long time to get your points back" - but at that point, the SP gain bar is decoupled from level gain, and more fine-tuned solutions are possible.

If it were me, I'd just multiply the bonus payout rate by how many story points are in the backlog.

Yep, something like that could perhaps work once past max level!

Essentially wrapping up my first run (which started in RC9 and is on RC12 now), with all the bonus XP I'm gaining SP at a fairly rapid clip.  Essentially 1 per end game fight because of the backlog of bonus XP and the fact I'm using a relatively compact fleet (5 capitals, 4 cruisers + logistics ships).  At this point, I've started S-modding my logistics fleet of Revenant cargo ships, to add surveying equipment in addition to expanded cargo holds and auxiliary fuel tanks.  I've spent 10 on personal skills, 38 SP in hull mods, another 10 invested in colonies, and spent about 17 on officers (fired one and replaced with a found level 6).  Another 5-10 have been spent on other things like escaping a fleet early game, recovering my flagship twice, some story line dialog options because they sounded interesting, and historian blueprints.  So late game, I feel like I've got plenty of story points at the new rate.  Although I was already post level 15 at the time RC12 came out.  XP tool tip says I've got 32 million bonus XP still.

Thank you! Really good to know, and I'm glad it sounds like it's working pretty well.

Speaking of s-mods on Revenants, I find it slightly odd they count as combat ships, and thus count against Weapon Drills, yet can't be equipped with weapons.  Are they missing the civilian-grade hull mod, or is that intentional?  Are there other reasons they aren't civilian (to prevent militarized subsystems?).  Maybe they need a built in non-combatant hull mod that makes them not count against combat DP skill limits?

Made a note to check into this.

Alex, I want to poke you on the skills thing a bit:

For personal combat skills, it turns out you can actually get pretty close! (double back through entire Combat aptitude, then pick one skill each from the Tech 2 and Industry 2 pairs, for 12/14). Fleet combat buff skills too (11/14 with a double Leadership line and single Technology line).

More to the point though:
If you want some fleetwide or combat buffs in general, they're always available, even if the specific skills that are available may not be the ones you want. Like, if you want a missile buff in particular then having to get all the way to Combat 5 is annoying, but there are other skills you can get instead that are also pretty good. Players investing in Technology and Industry can also pick up some handy combat skills in their own aptitudes (albeit this is a double-edged sword, they may not want combat skills).

Colony skills? It takes 5 skill points to get the first skill. Then 5 to get the next. Then 5 to get the next! (and now we're out of skill points)

Have you seen my thread here? Not necessarily the specific mechanics changes proposed, but rather the discussion about what people want from their skills and the barriers in the current system.

So - 85% (12/14) vs 75% (3/4). Fair enough, but also feels like splitting hairs a bit :)

But! But! Here's the important part. You actually *can* get all the colony-boosting skills. You just can't get all the colony boosting skills AND the number-of-colonies boosting skill. So really, a somewhat better analogy (but still imperfect, analogies being what they are) would be saying that you can't max out your flagship while also maxing out all the fleet-related skills. (Apologies if I seem to be moving the goalposts here; I just wasn't thinking about that aspect of it before.)

And unlike combat ships, where getting the skills on an officer vs getting them on the player is a huge difference, for colonies, it doesn't really matter where you get the skills that boost them individually. Having to make the choice of "I want more colonies" vs "I want all of my colonies to be top-notch" seems pretty reasonable.

I did see your thread, btw! I think that some relatively small tweaks can smooth things out nicely. L1 needs some help, I4 needs to sort itself out so that getting both isn't counter-productive (somehow! that one's tricky), perhaps C1R could have some nominal effect that affects the ship and not just fighters so it feels better to get on second go-around. The fleetwide-DP-limited skills could probably use a boost in the DP cap. T4 needs to be more clear about which one of them is better for phase ships without asking "how many"; that sort of thing. IMO trying to revamp the entire system as a result of the feedback so far would be an overreaction. It's *different*, yes. I think for that reason alone it needs some time to settle.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 09:38:17 PM by Alex »

Longsaddle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: April 01, 2021, 10:11:02 PM »

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question/it's been answered before and I just failed to see the answer but I was wondering if the update is compatible with the previous update.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: April 01, 2021, 10:16:36 PM »

If you mean do saves from the old version work: no, they don't! Many mods do not either as of yet, but you can check the status of many of them here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0

And the modders are hard at work in the acid mines getting things up to date.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: April 01, 2021, 10:20:36 PM »

After all these effortposts, it's occurring to me that I might have completely pooched my Bonus XP totals by playing with settings.  I usually raise the level cap and let the natural growth of the XP requirements serve as a soft cap, but it didn't occur to me immediately just how much this would mess with the Bonus XP calculations (I was aware of how it would mess with my SP after level 15, but I figured that was something I could deal with later).  I'm guessing stacking up bonus XP with the level cap set to 40 (before the tuning to lategame development, no less) made the math go some kind of crazy.

I still maintain that the pace at which the player earns SP doesn't line up with their actual demand for them and judging from the comments we've seen from other people there's still an issue with the backlog, but it's not as insane as it is on my file.  Sorry for taking your time on bad numbers.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question/it's been answered before and I just failed to see the answer but I was wondering if the update is compatible with the previous update.

If you're talking about the various fixes to 0.95, what we've received so far have been minor tweaks and fixes that shouldn't meaningfully disrupt a saved game.  This does not guarantee that saves might not be broken unexpectedly or that there will not be more substantial changes to this version later on that will not be save compatible.

If you're talking about saves from 0.91, the previous version of the game, there have been too many changes for those to be compatible.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 01, 2021, 11:09:26 PM »

Maybe increase bonus exp multiplier if player has more than X deferred SP after max level?
x2 for 1-7 SP, x4 for 8-15 SP, x8 for 16-31 SP, etc.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 01, 2021, 11:36:00 PM »

A few things I'd like to mention:

Is there a way to make expedition not overlap? I encountered overlapping triple fleet (3x2) expedition and there is no possible way fending it off.

Same faction in-system supply getting interrupted is unreal, not to mention I'm only hostile to pathers and none of my colony has pather cell.

Why is there a hard cap of size 6?

proc gen mission survey shouldn't use the mission [Redacted] system
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:43:35 AM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 146