Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 146

Author Topic: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 599270 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.95a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1905 on: April 27, 2021, 06:14:04 PM »

What I would like is another hullmod that is cheaper and adds +1 burn.
I think that would be an improvement, too. And honestly, in spite of personally wanting +2 ADF gone, I think that would make the most people happy. It wouldn't address my biggest gripe with ADF though, that it's such a tempting sMod candidate.

Augmented Drive Field on combat ships or even build-in it... well, that's not the best idea, do you guys even know about Ox?
Tugs are great for certain things, but their downsides aren't insignificant. Maybe it's just because I'm a cowardly miser, but I prefer to keep my fleet stealthy and lean most of the time.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: April 27, 2021, 06:17:31 PM »

@Megas would you care to share your legion loadouts? I've been building them with somewhat equal OP invested between the two types: 5 medium missiles on the standard for 50 and then usually 2 hurricanes for 50 or 2 Locusts for 36 on the XIV. Locusts is a bit of an early game build if I pull an XIV early from a system and want to slap ADF on it for good burn speed and pop lots of pirates.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: April 27, 2021, 06:58:37 PM »

@ Thaago:  I do not have any special loadouts for Legion.  I barely used it in 0.95 (mostly in simulator) and just threw together something straightforward, something no better than you can think on your own.  I used normal Legion in a few fights, mainly to haul it around until Field Repairs did its magic and remove d-mods, and for that, I used Gauss and Maulers, and cheap fighters.

For Legion XIV, I just played around with it in the simulator and was amused by the carnage caused by double Hammer Barrage.  Something I was dying to see on a mass-produced ship in 0.9.1.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: April 27, 2021, 07:41:45 PM »

Fair enough! Double hammer barrage is a wonderful feeling after burn drive :)

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: April 28, 2021, 03:07:00 AM »

Fair enough! Double hammer barrage is a wonderful feeling after burn drive :)

I'll reinforce that statement. I've got a Legion myself with integrated Heavy Armor and Expanded Missile Racks (plus an officer with elite Missile Spec skill OFC) and I used twin hammer barrages on it until I could get my hands on double Hurricane Mirvs.

Hammer barrage is amazing, while it still has ammo. I would really like to argue all "Hammer" missile systems should get more ammo since they run out incredibly quickly even with both Missile Racks and Missile Spec, but that'd also imply a nerf in reload speed or an even worse spread.

That said, they could just be made a bit more expensive...
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: April 28, 2021, 05:09:06 AM »

Hammer barrage is amazing, while it still has ammo. I would really like to argue all "Hammer" missile systems should get more ammo since they run out incredibly quickly even with both Missile Racks and Missile Spec, but that'd also imply a nerf in reload speed or an even worse spread.

That said, they could just be made a bit more expensive...
If I want slow loaders, I would pick Cyclone Reaper, and the spread of Hammer Barrage is wide enough.  There are plenty of partial misses because of the spread.

I would like more ammo, even if it makes the weapon more expensive.  Hammer Barrage is an Open Market weapon, though.

Seems like Missile Specialization is almost a must.  Hammer Barrage needs it for the ammo, Cyclone Reaper needs it for the faster reload.

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: April 28, 2021, 12:23:15 PM »

Phasing ships experience time 3x faster than normal meaning the other ships are 3x slower
Yes, it makes the whole world outside of the flagship three times slower, which I do not like because gameplay is agonizingly slow.  I prefer my flagship sped up three times as fast, not the whole world slowed to a third.  Slow world makes traveling while phased painful.
well one fix i found is installing the speedup mod, u can disable that slowdown effect by pressing b

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: April 28, 2021, 04:02:58 PM »

Hmm... looks like I had gotten the Tesseract bounty before I knew of or cleared any hypershunts. Is this expected behavior, or is the wiki wrong?

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: April 29, 2021, 01:58:09 AM »

Hmm... looks like I had gotten the Tesseract bounty before I knew of or cleared any hypershunts. Is this expected behavior, or is the wiki wrong?

I'm pretty sure you should only get the one true and only imba bounty in the game after clearing out a Hypershunt, or very very late in the game years.

Then again, I've seen threads on the forum of people that recieved survey mission for Hypershunts and that too is not supposed to be a thing...I think...unless Alex has played too much Darkest Dungeon and wants to give new players a "This is the new tutorial, fool!" experience  8)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 02:00:07 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: April 29, 2021, 08:33:14 AM »

No, that bounty readily available after you got yourself a contact and some standing with it. No need to do a storyline or Hypershunt first.

WeiTuLo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: April 29, 2021, 05:47:07 PM »

Ahh yes, I had about 95 standing with Tri-Tach guy.

beholdadam

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: April 30, 2021, 03:50:29 PM »

• Fixed issue with "improved" tech mining actually being 4x less effective

Oh. My. [REDACTED].

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: April 30, 2021, 05:53:58 PM »

without changing the Pulse Laser numbers

Oh, it is not easy to speak english for me, but I'll do it, speak about armor mechanics, problem with low bullet streanth weapons, useless of most of weapns.

Okey, first. Armor mechanics is that armor reduces armor or hull damage taken dependings on bullet streanth.
Formula is: x * (x / (x + y)) where x=bullet streangth, y=current armor. Also if armor is destroyed there lasts 5% of it for damage reduction defore hull damage. And maximum damage reduction is 85%.

Second lets take some avarage armor streangth potencial without skills with armor module for medium or strong armored ships, cases when low bullet weapons are more useless.

Hammerhead: 800/40 (40 is 5% of lasting armor for damage reduction)
Enforcer: 1200/60

Eagle: 1400/70
Dominator: 1900/95

Conquest: 1700/85
Legion: 2000/100
Onslaught: 2250/112,5

Some ships have armor upgrade from XIV, so lets take a look avarage 1650 armor and 83 as 5%.

Lets take a look for energy weapons including their potential for shield owerloading, or limited ammo.

Small:
Antimatter blaster has 1400 bullet, hit on 1650 armor is 642 armor damage. 54% reduction. 1321 hull damage 6% reduction, okey, low reduction but it is useless whith it's limmited armor, it is not enought while you need to hunt 10+ dominator, 5+ onslaughts/legions with other ships in one battle. (Useless because of limited ammo)

IR pulse laser: 50 bullet streanght.  1,4 or 7.5 damage at maximum damage reduction 85%. 18 hull damage throw 83 lasting armor, 64% reduction. Usless for hull damage, but I'll use it for shield damage like one small energy weapon for sustained shield hard flux damage.

Medium:
Phase lance. Useless. Good for frigat oneshotting, it isall all. No hard flux, low dps: 217.
Pulse laser. Close useless. (5,7) 15 damage, 85% reduction. 54 hull damage with 83 lasting armor 46% reduction. As you see, you will have just +- 50% hull damage of this weapon, with 300 whield dps. But we have perfect alternative.
Mining blaster. Good, but too high flux cost. 350 shield dps. 208 armor damage 71% reduction. 625 hull damage and just 11% reduction!
Heavy blaster. Perfect. 500 shield dps. 116 a.d. 77% reduction. 428 hull damage 15% reduction.

Pulse laser 162 hull dps, heavy blaster 428 hull dps.

Large:
Autopulse laser. Useless. Low sustained damage, low armor/hull damage. 96 hull damage, 36% reduction.
Tachyon lance. Goal of whis weapon is just to shoot small ships or hit on weak points while the shield rises. Low dps, no hard flux.
HIL. Useless. Very low sof flux to shield. Awarage armor/hull damage.
Plasma cannon. Perfect. Top sustained shield damdge 750. Top armor/hull damage with 500 bellet streanght, same as heavy blaster. But i think I'll better put heavy blaster in that slot, 33% less dps but with same armor penetration + 18 ordnance to inprove all stats of your shim.

So, as you see small energy is PD or pulse laser to damage shields or PD. Medium is just Heavy blaster. Large is just plasma cannon, or thachyon lance por spetioal roles, other weapons are useless. No alternative.

And a bit about ballistic weapons. Large.
All weapons are useless. High explosive can not overload shields fast, but is it good with hull damage?
Devastator is useless because it can not shoot normally at large distance because it's bullets explode before raching full range.
Hellbore. Useless. Best armor damage and penetration, but too low dps, too low bullet speed.

Other kinetics are good just for shield overloading, but you will hit hull for several minutes with it.

So we have just two weapons to take a look at.

Hephaestus assault gun. (it had one spacial oportynity, but you killed it. You could have 0 flux speed boost while firing that weapon, it was just one oportynity of that weapon, and now it is gone) we have 480 dps (240 hard dps to shieplds) But low bullet power. Just (30) 36 armor damage 85% reduction (at full armor 1650+), (144 armor dps), it is anti armor gun? OMG. 89 hull damage 26% reduction (356 hull dps)

Mjolnir cannon. Perfect. 530 shield dps. 400 bullet streangh, stronger than hephaestus. 78 armor damage 81% reduction. (104 armor dps, lower than hephaestus.) 331 hull damage 18% reduction (441 hull dps more than hephaestus)

So as you see, no choice. Mjolnir. Perfect in all ways. Good shield dps more than hephaestus in 2.2 times, a bit less armor damage but more hull damage. Additionally a bit of EMP damage. So, just mjolnir. With mjolnir you have all what you need from one weapon, other weapens are useless. I used many different loadounts, played tons of hours, I combined many different loadouts and just combination of mjolnirs and dual flaks is the best to hunt everything easly and the reason for this is low bullet streangh of other weapins.

So. Conclusion. Energy: just IR pulse lasers for shield damage, heavy blaster and plasma cannons. Tachyons for frigate oneshoot, or weak point opportunity.
Ballistic: Just dual flaks as PD and mjolnirs for sustained best damage.

All other weapons are useless, no matter how hard you try to combine them. You will have very low hull dps. Adiitionally: if you add 50 armor for damage reduction weapons with low bullet streantgh become even more useless.

Sorry for my english.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:01:00 PM by Sinigr »
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: April 30, 2021, 06:35:42 PM »

I also think that using 1650 for average armor is a bit high... the AI doesn't use built in heavy armor like the player does, so its really only going to be enemy Onslaughts that have that level. Even Radiants "only" have 1500. So the number are for dealing hull damage to the toughest hulled targets in the game.

I think you may want to look again at phase lance, HIL, and tachyon lance when it comes to hull damage. All are very efficient (and HIL is very efficient as an armor cutter, though not as good as the low DPS Hellbore) and the large energy have a significant range advantage (HIL Sunder can have 1550 range with an officer). Soft flux isn't a problem when the enemy has their shield down due to flux, as it usually the case when thinking about hull damage anyways, and for the lances if the AI wants to keep its shields up and overload then thats even better. Heavy blaster is king of medium DPS, and against very heavily armored targets its damage/flux vs hull is better (using your number its .59 vs a pulse laser's .53), but its poor vs shields (.69 vs1.0).

For Mjolnir vs Hephaestus: as long as the mounting ship has the flux to fire it its a better weapon for anti hull and anti shield, but its 667 fps instead of 480 fps. For your numbers, the Mjolnir has a damage per flux of .66 vs .74 for the Hephaestus. If the player ship has the flux (and spare OP) then Mjolnir is better, and its a good compromise weapon to pair with a shield buster for high shield enemies, but if flux is the limiting factor it doesn't necessarily win out. I do like Mjolnir's a lot though, very good weapons.

Sinigr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: April 30, 2021, 09:24:38 PM »

I also think that using 1650 for average armor is a bit high... the AI doesn't use built in heavy armor like the player does, so its really only going to be enemy Onslaughts that have that level. Even Radiants "only" have 1500. So the number are for dealing hull damage to the toughest hulled targets in the game.

I think you may want to look again at phase lance, HIL, and tachyon lance when it comes to hull damage. All are very efficient (and HIL is very efficient as an armor cutter, though not as good as the low DPS Hellbore) and the large energy have a significant range advantage (HIL Sunder can have 1550 range with an officer). Soft flux isn't a problem when the enemy has their shield down due to flux, as it usually the case when thinking about hull damage anyways, and for the lances if the AI wants to keep its shields up and overload then thats even better. Heavy blaster is king of medium DPS, and against very heavily armored targets its damage/flux vs hull is better (using your number its .59 vs a pulse laser's .53), but its poor vs shields (.69 vs1.0).

For Mjolnir vs Hephaestus: as long as the mounting ship has the flux to fire it its a better weapon for anti hull and anti shield, but its 667 fps instead of 480 fps. For your numbers, the Mjolnir has a damage per flux of .66 vs .74 for the Hephaestus. If the player ship has the flux (and spare OP) then Mjolnir is better, and its a good compromise weapon to pair with a shield buster for high shield enemies, but if flux is the limiting factor it doesn't necessarily win out. I do like Mjolnir's a lot though, very good weapons.

Okey, maybe 1650 it is too high, but now most ships have officers with skills, so take a look for 1000 armor, 5% 50 and 50 from skill. Than we have 100 armor for damage reduction, in my calculations i used 83. But okey, some weapons have more damage from skills. In spite of this, with full weapon and fleet power from skills i see it in every battle, that weapons with low bullet damage have so low armor and hull damage, because of that 5% and skill armor.

How you will overload enemy shield with HIL Sunder? It dos not works so, hunt remnants, they'll kick ass like a child that Sunder. Remnants are for example, some pirates you can hunt with HIL Sunder, okey. But you can not hunt all what you see with HILs.

"Heavy blaster is king of medium DPS, and against very heavily armored targets its damage/flux vs hull is better (using your number its .59 vs a pulse laser's .53), but its poor vs shields (.69 vs1.0)." No problem with flux, you can use 2 pulse lasers in 20 ordnance with 600 shield dps but very low hull dps in 324 or less, or one blaster 12 ordnance for 500 shield dps, much stronger armor damage and 428 hull damage, put some more wents for it in 8 ordnance if you need, sorry, but i do not have time to shoot armor and hull with pulse lasers, perfomance time is running, my ship dos not have enought time, it have to shoot tons of enemies. Also i use all medium slots with blasters, i do not have place to change 1 blaster for 2 pulses, i do not use some small slots to put more vents or other things, because small weapons are more useless))). Just play and you will see.

About mjolnir. How you will overload shields with hephaestus? Or you will put some more guns which are more useless agains armor than hephaestus? It dos not wark so, practice show that one universal mjolnir is better than some combonation of weapons, remove them and put more vents. Like onslaught, you can leave 2 middle slots free, put one mjolnir with some aditional vent and one mjolnir will do more than any other combination of two medium and one large weapon (ok, good range weapons).

I hope my explanations and arguments are clear.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:33:36 PM by Sinigr »
"officerMaxLevel":29,
"officerAIMax":36,
"maxOfficersInAIFleet":36
"tier1StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier2StationOfficerLevel":29,
"tier3StationOfficerLevel":29,
Try to hunt it! ;)
https://i.imgur.com/gXIAgGy.png
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 146