Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.1 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options  (Read 266894 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Sure, you can adjust the size and frequency of hyperspace remnant fleets (or disable them entirely) by editing the "# REMNANTS #" section in RUTHLESS_SECTOR_OPTIONS.ini. There's no way to adjust when they decide to chase you though, as that's controlled entirely by vanilla AI.

yourleader

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Sure, you can adjust the size and frequency of hyperspace remnant fleets (or disable them entirely) by editing the "# REMNANTS #" section in RUTHLESS_SECTOR_OPTIONS.ini. There's no way to adjust when they decide to chase you though, as that's controlled entirely by vanilla AI.
Thanks for the tip!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

No problem  :)

NaitNait

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hey, I noticed that you don't get any XP on your officers if your battle notifications are disabled and scaleXpGainBasedOnBattleDifficulty = true. I am not entirely sure which of the battle notification settings causes this but my best guess is overrideDangerIndicatorsToShowBattleDifficulty.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Hey, thanks for the report! Unfortunately I didn't find anything that might cause what you described when I looked through the code responsible for adjusting XP just now, so I've got a few questions, if you don't mind:
  • Could you send your RUTHLESS_SECTOR_OPTIONS.ini file so I can try to reproduce the issue on my end?
  • Does your player character still earn XP when your officers don't?
  • Are you using any other mods or settings that affect XP?
Thanks for any info you can provide! I might have more questions as I continue to investigate.

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.6 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2020, 09:40:50 PM »

Since I derped into the wrong thread, here it is again:

I think Ruthless Sector counts battlestations, especially small/unupgraded ones, as too strong compared to fleets. In the mid-late game, I get very little XP from battles vs multiple capitals, but breaking one basic pirate base is often enough to level up multiple ship commanders. It is very obviously disproportionately easy XP.

Unnamed_Shadow

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2020, 05:14:54 AM »

I stopped seeing the Star Rating of the battle after reaching Level 60.

Since i play with Nexerelin i can basically max out all skills.

But i have noticed i no longer see the Difficulty Rating of the battles. Dunno if its because i reached level 60 or something else.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2020, 06:26:06 PM »

I think Ruthless Sector counts battlestations, especially small/unupgraded ones, as too strong compared to fleets. In the mid-late game, I get very little XP from battles vs multiple capitals, but breaking one basic pirate base is often enough to level up multiple ship commanders. It is very obviously disproportionately easy XP.
Yeah, lone stations with only one module are pushovers, and can easily be soloed with something like an HIL Sunder. Generally I try to stick to deployment cost as the sole dictator of strength estimation in order to avoid trying to balance the entire modiverse. Stations are already handled a bit differently, however, because their deployment costs aren't appropriate at all. I'll see what I can do about deriving more accurate strength estimations for them.

But i have noticed i no longer see the Difficulty Rating of the battles.
It's likely because you have more than 30 ships in your fleet (which is the default limit). Ruthless sector stops displaying difficulty stars in this case because it can't determine which ships are selected for deployment due to unfortunate technical limitations.

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2020, 08:08:45 AM »

I would like to report a bug, I was playing and was in Corvus and I was heading to visit the ICE exile fleet in system and when I got near them I got several error notifications from ruthless sector so I saved a copy and I decided to try and dock with the exile fleet and when I did I got a CTD, the problem is likely there I think. My ruthless sector settings are on default and everything is up to date. I have attached all my active mods and my log that I had to cut down to be attached but I doubt it will be a issue.
After double checking I remembered that I set the ship limit over 30 for the AI and the exile fleet was something like 50 ships. Could it purely be a settings issue? I know ruthless sector bugs out if your fleet has over 30 ships but as far as I knew it simply refused to calculate rather then crash.
Second edit, I noticed a reference to the reload battle penalty and decided to delete that out of the save folder, ruthless sector stopped shooting out roughly 6 null error notifications but I still crashed when trying to dock with the exile fleet.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:51:28 AM by Spess Mahren »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2020, 10:49:44 AM »

Thanks for the detailed report! So in spite of ruthless sector blaming itself for this error, it's actually a problem that sometimes occurs when ICE inflates* it's fleets (although this may be fixed in the latest version). What happened is that ruthless sector told an ICE fleet to inflate in order to assess the fleet's strength. Inflation failed for some reason, resulting ruthless sector repeatedly trying to inflate and warning you about the error each time it failed. The CTD was likely caused by vanilla telling the fleet to inflate. Not sure what's going wrong to actually cause the error or what the status on a resolution is. I would start with making sure ICE is up to date and maybe contacting Scarlet Magician.

*Fleet inflation is when variant data like hullmods and weapons are added to the ships in a fleet. Prior to inflation fleets are just a list of hull types.

Relevant discussion on Discord: https://discordapp.com/channels/187635036525166592/619635013201428481/744308698922614825

ApolloStarsector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »

Confused about how to properly edit the config files, and want an easier/smoother version of ruthless sector? I have tested settings for an easier, but still hard Ruthless sector. I've cut the magnitude of the bonuses by about 50%, but I've decreased the magnitude of the penalties by about 50%. I've also disabled the combat difficulty scaling, as I found it alternately too punishing and too rewarding. These changes make the mod less jarring. I hope this helps somebody!

1) In the mod's root folder, edit RUTHLESS_SECTOR_OPTIONS.ini

# EXPERIENCE GAIN #
   "scaleXpGainBasedOnBattleDifficulty":false

# GALATIAN STIPEND #
   "galatianStipendPay":3000, # 15000 in vanilla     DEFAULT 1500

2) Now navigate to  Starsector\mods\Ruthless Sector\data\config       edit settings.json

# FACTION COMMISSION SETTINGS
   # These override the vanilla settings file

"factionCommissionBounty":450, # 300 in vanilla    DEFAULT 600
   "factionCommissionStipendBase":4000, # 20000 in vanilla     DEFAULT 2000
   "factionCommissionStipendPerLevel":300, # 1500 in vanilla   DEFAULT 150

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2020, 11:20:37 PM »

Just want to report a bug. It seems the black list is not working, I have been getting rep boosts for great victories with the Knight Templars despite them being on the black list by default. I had also disabled the 9th battle group from arsenal expansion and I put them in the black list and I still got a rep boost with them at one point despite them not existing, I made them not appear in the faction tab hoping that would fix it but I can't think of a way to force test it. My Ruthless Sector is up to date and is using the default settings.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2020, 09:37:36 AM »

Thanks! Sorry for not getting back to you on Discord by now. I was hoping to get a chance to look into this a bit first.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2020, 05:15:53 AM »

Hello! I'm in the process of installing this mod mid-campaign to spice things up "a little" further than I already have (congrats on all the features you successfully implemented throught the life of this mod, I had a read thru the whole thread :) ) and I have some questions:

1) I'm actually playing with another difficulty-enchancing mod called Second Wave Options 0.6.0 ( https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17086.0 ) and while it does not seem there would be any conflict between the two (they actually modify different parameters and should work togheder really well) it would be wise to ask you directly. The mod setting can be modified in the RCSW_SETTINGS.ini file wich overrides some game files and I think that's where some conflic may arise

2) I'm playing with expanded sleet size and enemy officer limits (50, 50 and 20 respecively) and I've already read that the fleet difficulty rating may not work on the map. Do you think it'll work in the deployment phase as I bring in my ships?

3) I've got a few mods that add additional [Redacted] ships, (mainly supercapitals and supercarriers) ranging from Nightmarish to PTSD inducing, is their deployment cost (wich I think is higher than the Radiant) going to be accounted for in the difficulty rating? The same applies to the Probe bois (there is one really fun ship called Wall that's basically a mobile, front facing station with two attached sections on both of its sides)
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »

Spaghetti boi reporting for duty!

I installed everything properly (the only thing I tweaked a bit was the liutenant exp gains) on my ongoing campaign and it seems to seamlessly interface with my campaign, despite the worries I had with it compatible with the other mod.

I also engaged in a rather intense fight against a Hegemony bounty hunter that was looking for me who fielded 25 Capital ships between Legions, XiV Legions, Onslaughts, XIV Onslaughts and Liberators and I'm happy to announce that the battle difficulty rating works just fine as it gave that battle a 194% difficulty and it was indeed a struggle with my deployed forces numbering 887 and the enemy possessing a massive 1664 fleet points!

Screenshot showcasing said results screen:

Spoiler
[close]

I'll reply again once I find a decent amount of remnant fleets in hyperspace!

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16