Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: White flash when you destroy a ship.  (Read 3590 times)

kiss

• Ensign
    • View Profile
White flash when you destroy a ship.
« on: June 24, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »

Hi there!

I like this game much but one thing hurts me a lot. Its a full-screen white flashes when i destroy a ship in battles.
There is a black sky and boom - all become white and then black again.

My eyes hurt a lot because of this, i have to turn my head away or cover them by a hand when an enemy ship comes to 98% hp.

Alex, can you do a switch in settings for this effect in new version?

Others plz say what do you think about this. Maybe there is a mod that can turn this effect off?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: White flash when you destroy a ship.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 08:09:47 AM »

You can.  Go to the settings.json file in starsector-core /  data / config and set "enableShipExplosionWhiteout" to "false".
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 06:17:26 PM »

The GraphicsLib mod reduces the flash, and overall makes the ship death explosions look far better.

Challanger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 11:02:24 AM »

You can.  Go to the settings.json file in starsector-core /  data / config and set "enableShipExplosionWhiteout" to "false".
Thank you man! U saved me from epilepsy  ;)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 11:09:55 AM »

It should honestly be off by default. Maybe back in the day it looked cool, but now every battle is 30 cruisers, so whiteouts happen every other minute.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 04:14:51 AM »

Maybe limit them to capitals and battlestations, or just battlestations only.  Whiteout flashes are too frequent.  Consider old shumps that flash only after killing the boss at the end of a level.

Big Bee

• Commander
  • bugs are cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 04:26:32 AM »

You can.  Go to the settings.json file in starsector-core /  data / config and set "enableShipExplosionWhiteout" to "false".

Sure, you can turn it off that way, but it's hardly intuitive. There should be an option for it in-game, and should probably be off by default too, given how pretty much every destroyer triggers it.

Drazan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 12:49:04 PM »

Sure, you can turn it off that way, but it's hardly intuitive. There should be an option for it in-game, and should probably be off by default too, given how pretty much every destroyer triggers it.

Absolutely agree. It not just that there is no option for it in the game it is not stated anywhere that you could turn it of. And it is reeealy annoying for a lot of people. if it would be off by default i dont think many would turn it on.

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 06:09:21 PM »

Might also be a good idea to make it an option (both to have them at all and what explodes like that) a part of the in game graphic options instead of a config out of the game.
Eventually I mean.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 06:33:41 PM »

As stated before you can also get just GraphicsLib to replace the whiteout with a different graphical effect that distorts the space around the ship radiating outward when it blows.