Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2234128 times)

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6360 on: August 07, 2016, 09:29:36 PM »

I definitely like how original and unusual the alien portraits are. Too often we have aliens that look like generic greys or owls or something out of Independance Day. Something that looks actually alien is rare.

Question; has anyone done Lovecraft Portrait pack, based on the really alien entities? Because if not, I might quickly whip one up for my own enjoyment.

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: August 08, 2016, 06:19:34 AM »

Hey guys. It's been long since I left this game. Just wanted you guys to know I'm studying art during my pass on business work which is totally related to the hobby I'm putting up once more.

I was making the ships more shapely and less clad-like compared to the old design. Taking away the entire kitbashing all together and decided to build entire ships from scratch. Each ship, minus the second frigate, is iteration of the old models shown in the old version of my mod.

In my mind, I took inspiration from:
Spoiler
Dragons and corn cobs.
[close]

Hope these fit.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6362 on: August 08, 2016, 10:44:12 AM »

I read a while back that some people use the old battleships forever ship maker to do a rough sprite for mods, I was just wondering if anyone had any problems with it. I downloaded it again for my win10 laptop and i seem to get an error about the twin autocannon. I tried downloading from the original site and downloads.com but still get the same error and then i tried the compatibility settings but no luck. does anyone have any ideas.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: August 08, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »

...my win10 laptop...
That is probably your problem right there as Win 1.0 is known for not working well with old programs
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6364 on: August 08, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »

Oh damn, I tried setting compatability to xp but still wouldnt work and im out of ideas for it.

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: August 10, 2016, 05:08:09 AM »

Hey guys. It's been long since I left this game. Just wanted you guys to know I'm studying art during my pass on business work which is totally related to the hobby I'm putting up once more.

I was making the ships more shapely and less clad-like compared to the old design. Taking away the entire kitbashing all together and decided to build entire ships from scratch. Each ship, minus the second frigate, is iteration of the old models shown in the old version of my mod.

In my mind, I took inspiration from:
Spoiler
Dragons and corn cobs.
[close]

Hope these fit.

They fit, like floating...

And when they've gone to space, with you...

THEY'LL FLOAT TOO.

(In a nutshell, these are good looking, coming from someone who doesn't like too much gibble, may need a slight roughness however, don't want them to be too smooth on the edges, or you could keep them the way they are.)
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: August 10, 2016, 10:57:42 PM »

These are good looking, coming from someone who doesn't like too much gibble, may need a slight roughness however, don't want them to be too smooth on the edges, or you could keep them the way they are.

I didn't work on the greebbles yet since I was aiming for a form-fit material that actually looks like they came out of a moon-sized furnace, compared to the other designs that needed placing lots of metal sheets in each portion. But yeah, they still needed a bit more detail into it in addition of more lizard scaling.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: August 11, 2016, 10:46:16 AM »

Unfinished. Thoughts? I was going for 'shiny metal' with the shading palette, but I'm not sure if it works.

[Edit] Aaand looking at it from another monitor now that this is posted, damn is that saturation cranked up. Apparently the color balance on the monitor I was using when I sketching this really sucks!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:11:30 AM by Thaago »

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: August 11, 2016, 01:14:21 PM »

Redesign of the xyphos:

evolver fighter (1 ion pulser)

Should I fill in the middle?

From piranha:

Probe bomber (has 2 bomb bays)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 01:19:52 PM by gruberscomplete »
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: August 12, 2016, 05:50:03 AM »

Unfinished. Thoughts? I was going for 'shiny metal' with the shading palette, but I'm not sure if it works.

[Edit] Aaand looking at it from another monitor now that this is posted, damn is that saturation cranked up. Apparently the color balance on the monitor I was using when I sketching this really sucks!

For reference I thought of the Boxer and what I have learnt and implemented in to this sprite over the years as there are some parallels to make I think which can hopefully help.

First one: It's far too saturated, and in retrospect quite simple. Details are done with 'linework' and lots of pixel-placing. Less understanding of the 'bigger-picture'.

Step 2 looked to reduce the saturation. Also generating some interest with features like the lights and a greater focus on lighting (albeit it doesn't understand it quite as well as it could). Still a focus on linework to give greebling and generate interest. Individual plates are 'drawn' and it is expected that this will make the ship look right (I want a plate, I know it starts here and ends here, so I just draw a line, right?)

Step 3 is current, and I think is the best version of the Boxer. The focus moves away from rigidly expressing detail with lines etc. and has faith in the creation of form and interest just through the lighting. Variances in lighting between plates works far more effectively than treating the whole ship as a more globular form with some lines drawn on top.

Basically I think it could be improved markedly just by trying to make the 'lines' inferred rather than explicit; and by some fairly simple work on adding some spot lights or small edge fins at junctures or something.

I would get a couple of layers dropped on over the top of this sprite and:

a) play about with the airbrush and lasso to soften some of the individual gradients (but introduce hard lines of delineation at shadows / edges). Go big; don't shirk and draw as boldly as you can. Delete if it doesn't work and start again. If it's not hard enough, but you think it's sort of right - duplicate this layer and multiply it.

b) refine with an overlay layer with some highlights / lowlights. 'Soft light' can work for this. If it's not bold enough, but it's sort of right - duplicate the layer and multiply it.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6370 on: August 18, 2016, 04:15:25 AM »

Been working on a 'collapsed' Falcon based on my previous 'racing car' ship faction type idea. Behold my month-long wrangling with mine own incompetance!

Spoiler
[close]

Any thoughts?

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: August 18, 2016, 04:26:05 AM »

Been working on a 'collapsed' Falcon based on my previous 'racing car' ship faction type idea. Behold my month-long wrangling with mine own incompetance!

Spoiler
[close]

Any thoughts?

Hmm... peculiar. Really nice design and fits the theme you're aiming for. It will certainly have an easy time nailing a ship at one point while its point defense is really much more effecient due to how they can cover each other better.

Suggestion of name: Accipiter-class Fast Cruiser.

"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

CrazyDave

• Commander
  • Never left, stopped posting
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: August 24, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »

Hey chaps and chapettes, guess who's (mostly) not dead! :D

Heres something i scribbled up. I'm not sure what i was going for, i think it was supposed to be a redone Scorpio-class...?

Bit of a mess, but i think im slooooowwly getting better...
Naysmyth Armouries, for all your blasting needs.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: August 27, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »

Despite having many important things to do, i still managed to waste some time on this :

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6374 on: August 27, 2016, 06:46:23 PM »

I don't think it was a waste of time - they look fantastic.

Meanwhile, I've been working on a ship that'll help support my 'racecar' faction fleet. In the process of making it...things happened. Behold my scattered progress:

Spoiler

[close]

So the fleet, thus far, looks kind of like this:

Spoiler

[close]

Thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 482