Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is selling Illegal goods to the military market intended behaviour?  (Read 4601 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I just noticed I can sell Harvested Organs to the Jangala's military market.
Though I can't buy them back afterwards. ("illegal to trade in Harvested Organs here")

Is this intended behaviour, or a bug?

Also, if you have insufficient reputation, certain goods sold to the military market cannot be rebought.
Not really a bug as such, but somewhat counter-intuitive.
Shouldn't the reputation requirement work both ways; preventing you from both buying *and* selling goods for which you have insufficient reputation?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Is selling Illegal goods to the military market intended behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 03:09:09 PM »

Intended; sort of a "we'll buy your drugs, guns, and organs, no questions asked" kind of program.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 09:43:58 PM »

It seems a little bizarre that my well-connected friends in the Hegemony would be okay with me dropping by their office with a briefcase full of drugs and organs.  That's uh, probably not the kind of thing they want a receipt for.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 10:28:21 PM »

Why not? You're in favor with the Hegemony, you're taking out "bad guys" from their point of view, surely you might seize some illegal goods? Would they rather you sell them on the black market, or would they have a program for buying those from the hands of trusted individuals?

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 10:31:12 PM »

Just think of it as a cash reward for taking illegal commodities out of criminal hands.

pigreko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 10:31:41 PM »

wise words!

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 10:54:56 PM »

Why not? You're in favor with the Hegemony, you're taking out "bad guys" from their point of view, surely you might seize some illegal goods? Would they rather you sell them on the black market, or would they have a program for buying those from the hands of trusted individuals?

That does make a certain amount of sense, but it would be nice if it was actually explained in the game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 10:58:30 PM »

Good point; added a note to the submarket description.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »

Seems like perfectly legitimate hypocrisy to me. Just because they don't want you trading it on the free market, doesn't mean they don't need it.

To paraphrase Rap News: "Supremacy gets to decide when the rule of law is applied and when it's suspended."

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »

That's a good point. Is this supposed to be some kind of above board program where they basically outsource law enforcement to third parties? Or is it some MKUltra-type stuff that's actually illegal even within the faction itself and being performed by a rogue agency? Depending on which it is, it might or might not be appropriate to apply tariffs to these transactions.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 12:06:09 AM »

The biggest reason I can imagine they wouldn't do it is because now they have to pay market price for a big pile of illegal stuff they're (theoretically) just going to destroy and the game world is presented as one where administrative budgets are not likely overly funded.  It would probably make more sense if this rewards program paid out at significantly below market rates; it makes it a bit more plausible for a government to finance, and leaving a significant margin between the reward for the goods and their black market prices also leaves open some implications about why the relevant bureaucrat is so insistent about keeping the program running.  It might also make sense to have turn-ins reduce some of your black market suspicion as an additional reward and perhaps an interesting new lever for the players to press (straight rep would probably lead to people shuttling in Atlases full of 'confiscated' organs to blitz their way up standings), though it's probably best to be cautious about incentivizing bizarre behaviors that involve buying more illegal goods to cash in for other rewards.

Honestly though, this is nitpicking.  Your explanation is perfectly satisfactory for the game.  It just needs to be presented more clearly so that the player understands that the military is paying them a cash reward for impounding black market goods rather than they want your drugs and organs.  I'm assuming there already is / is planned to be some investigations that trigger if the player is brazenly importing black market goods for military sale.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 03:15:39 AM »

Is there something wrong with economy consumption of goods on the military market?

I keep selling organs to Jangala's military market, and while it does temporarily lower the price, it recovers extremely quickly.
Moreover the organs I sell to the military market never disappear.

The demand can sustain ~500 units per run (from the rich system to the East of corvus), and each run earns ~100k XP in trade profit. (Money is largely irrelevant now)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 05:23:59 AM »

I always thought that, though nobody would say that in public, they really need those illegal goods (well, for drugs it's nonsensical, but weapons and organs have uses). I mean, it IS post-collapse world you're living in and there possibly are, advanced technologically or not, ways to utilize things even if you wouldn't just hand them out to your citizens.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 06:54:47 AM »

All of the major factions are merely pirate factions with good publicity.  If you want to be a pirate, why join a bunch of losers who call themselves "pirates"?  Join the Hegemony (or other major faction of your choice) instead and be one of their attack dogs.  Given current brutal faction ties, almost everyone is an enemy, and you have license to pillage and burn your enemies.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 09:58:12 AM »

Given current brutal faction ties, almost everyone is an enemy, and you have license to pillage and burn your enemies.
You mean this?
Pages: [1] 2