Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Attack its weak point for massive damage  (Read 6500 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Attack its weak point for massive damage
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 04:51:04 AM »

It doesn't pay attention to the armor as far I'm aware. But it does try to outmaneuver you to fire at the engines or flanks, witch with the current armor system with splash damage as this effect to some extend.

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 06:11:35 AM »

That actually gave me, I think, some ideas.

In which the OP suggestion would normally imply variety when targeting enemy ships. And it's probably been long, the only weakness would always be the Engines, and nothing more.

The implications didn't stop there though, the Hammerhead and the Gemini has the shape that suggests it has more armor at the front while its middle section is lies out in the open, the Conquest and the Falcon have weakspot bridges on the center from the front.  It could have been nice by then if we can adjust the ships by armor sections and not just increase the overall armor of the ship.

But... I'll just leave these thoughts here.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

Dratai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »

On a complete sidenote: I find it funny that a community is criticized for being supportive of fairness/balance.
It's funny how reactionary and obsessed with balance this community is. Anytime someone suggests adding any variety to vanilla...

A well made game is fair and balanced??
I fail to see the issue with that.  ::)

Variety comes in many forms, arbitrary damage points aren't really a good way to add variety, it actually subtracts from it.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 08:24:16 AM »

I believe the armor thickness differentiation was suggested and Alex said that would put much more work on adding a ship(and adding a mask for all existing ones).

Dratai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 08:36:25 AM »

So something just struck me, But don't we already have a variant of weakpoints?
I mean it's not something like obvious or very tactic or game changing.

But take ships like the falcon, where there's hardly any coverage backwards and the shield doesn't cover the rear.
Or the conquest where the shield is poor, covers less than one side of the ship and there's a lack of forward and backward facing guns- unless you intend to add on some really energy-eating mining blasters forwards (that still don't kind of hit things right infront of it).
Or more asymmetric ships like the apogee that's got a little wonky angles.

It's not something huge but technically there are different ways to deal with ship X and ship Y, I think. So correct me if I'm wrong but it's sort of already in the game?

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 03:05:43 PM »

Yes, definitely true. And of course temporary weak points that come in the form of the guns and the engines.
Pages: 1 [2]