Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 399

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3055715 times)

coolio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)
« Reply #5820 on: February 14, 2024, 09:55:40 PM »

1. is this the mod that makes it so that i sometimes pick up random crewman in post battle scavenging?
2. Prisoners are mentioned in the mod, do those only apply to officers? Whats their"drop chance", ig thats the proper wording.
Thanks for any reply. ;D

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5821 on: February 15, 2024, 01:48:13 AM »

Does starfarer mode increase the severity/number of fleets that occur with colony crises?
Nex doesn't change colony crises at all currently (aside from the additional defensive factors that were in previous versions).

Hi, can there be an option to toggle which Nexelerin intel menu items are automatically marked as important when starting a new game?
Aside from what Matheld said, I don't have any plans for adding a setting rn, sorry.

1. is this the mod that makes it so that i sometimes pick up random crewman in post battle scavenging?
2. Prisoners are mentioned in the mod, do those only apply to officers? Whats their"drop chance", ig thats the proper wording.
Thanks for any reply. ;D
1) Yep

2) Nex sometimes drops a prisoner commodity at random post-battle, and it's based on enemy officers yeah.
The rules are: ship must be disabled but not destroyed, officer must pass the 'survival' roll (base chance 50%, improved by the ship's modifiers to crew loss mult), and then pass the capture roll (base 15%, increases with officer level up to 25%)

Note that this gives a special commodity instead of actual officers; for the latter you'll want the Take No Prisoners mod.

Ragnarok101

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5822 on: February 15, 2024, 09:28:45 AM »

So, if I have Prism Freeport turned off - I've noticed that Midnight Dissonant still contacts you, but are there any other mechanics that get 'preserved' or is stuff like the blueprint exchange completely turned off?

(I mostly turned it off to avoid Midnight since I didn't know how to disable that entire questline, if not for this seed being really good I'd have turned it back on)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5823 on: February 15, 2024, 06:57:13 PM »

The blueprint exchange and high-end seller are Prism-exclusive and won't appear if the station isn't created.

For Midnight, if you say no to her at the first encounter she goes away permanently and the quests won't appear. You can also stop midway through the questline by simply not taking the new quests.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5824 on: February 15, 2024, 09:38:14 PM »

You know, you probably should reconfigure the Remnant fleets to either use jury-rigged anchors or refurbished survey ships to get to their destinations. :P

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5825 on: February 16, 2024, 12:10:06 AM »

Are there any significant plans for the mod, or is it primarily in maintenance mode? I'm asking because it seems there are major features running which still do not make the factions in the game behave as in a 4X game. I'm not referring to the player-centric view and the player fleet being the only possible point of focus; I'm fine with that, and Starsector should remain Starsector in that regard. I'm talking about the fact that most of the fleets generated by the AIs are very loosely tied to actual assets. I would expect at some point that (just as a crude example that would need to be refined) planets, depending on their infrastructure, would generate ships or ship parts, assembled into fleets and either stored on the planet or put in orbit for missions or patrols. However, we know this is not the case in the game; 99% of the ships are generated from thin air (or void). Another example is the indestructibility of stations. Under some very specific circumstances, choices, or hard constraints, it should be possible to destroy a station (the AI would do that too).
So Nexerelin makes SS a 4X in the sense planets can be conquered, but the whole economy and military production is still very much like in a RPG (or Rimworld, Story-generator). Stuff is generated when needed, to make a good story, and that's it.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5826 on: February 16, 2024, 07:11:21 PM »

Are there any significant plans for the mod, or is it primarily in maintenance mode? I'm asking because it seems there are major features running which still do not make the factions in the game behave as in a 4X game. I'm not referring to the player-centric view and the player fleet being the only possible point of focus; I'm fine with that, and Starsector should remain Starsector in that regard. I'm talking about the fact that most of the fleets generated by the AIs are very loosely tied to actual assets. I would expect at some point that (just as a crude example that would need to be refined) planets, depending on their infrastructure, would generate ships or ship parts, assembled into fleets and either stored on the planet or put in orbit for missions or patrols. However, we know this is not the case in the game; 99% of the ships are generated from thin air (or void). Another example is the indestructibility of stations. Under some very specific circumstances, choices, or hard constraints, it should be possible to destroy a station (the AI would do that too).
So Nexerelin makes SS a 4X in the sense planets can be conquered, but the whole economy and military production is still very much like in a RPG (or Rimworld, Story-generator). Stuff is generated when needed, to make a good story, and that's it.
To answer the opening question: I do have some plans for the mod, some that might actually get done in the near future, some that are "yeah, maybe someday".

The game's economic systems are something I've put a bit of thought into over the years; brief comments in the section below.

NPC faction economies
I have a functional implementation of faction resource pools that are expended for actions in space (generated based on the faction's commodity availability in supplies, ship parts & weapons, and fuel) and ground (supplies, marines, fuel). But then I realized the existing invasion points work the same (in a cruder way) while also having far more playtesting behind the system, so for now I'm just plugging a couple more things into the invasion points mechanic, most recently the base strike missions against pirate/Pather bases. Maybe I'll rename them to 'military assets' or somesuch.

A significant limitation is that I have/can only hook (a portion of) Nex mechanics into the system, most notably invasion/raid fleets. Vanilla fleets like patrols and the colony crisis fleets currently aren't connected to it; I might find a way to do so if/when I want, but it'll need a bunch of thinking over and implementation work that I won't get into here.

In any case I don't yet plan on tracking these resources per-market or implementing them as an actual commodity that gets moved around by trade fleets.

There are any number of cool ideas for economic simulation I can come up with, but if the player doesn't actually perceive a difference in how things behave, then the 'fake' behaviors would've worked just as well. (This was a big concern of mine when developing the strategic AI: whether the super smart and sophisticated system ends up playing in the same manner as the crude 'do things at random' system.)

Destroying stations
Well, is there a particular reason to implement this for either the player or NPCs, beyond the already-extant sat bomb mechanic?

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: February 17, 2024, 02:15:35 AM »

Thank you for the detailed answer. I had not considered the difficulties in interfacing with all the components of the game; I thought it was easily moddable for an external developer.
Destroying stations: It feels odd that some pirate stations (or any other) are constantly under repair because they are trashed by in-system hostile patrols or fleets, and then brought back online rapidly (although you can still dock and do your usual business even if damaged). It seems very pointless, but then it is on par with patrols generated from nothing at rapid intervals. I probably need to accept that SS is not a 4X game and will never be!
I should try returning to Aurora, if I can muster some neurons, and if not, I can try Distant World 2, once it is more polished, if that even happens.  ;D

Faptor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5828 on: February 18, 2024, 12:40:52 PM »

Is there a walkthrough for the Midnight Dissident questline?

I was sure there was more to it after you
Spoiler
Defend the Ludd station and get the Planetkiller bomb.
[close]
but idk if I just missed what I was supposed to do for the next step, finished the questline or if im bugged.

I thought MD wanted me to find someone but I ended up bounty hunting for 15 hours and the quest markers gone and theres no mention of them hahaha

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5829 on: February 18, 2024, 04:56:12 PM »

That's the last mission :)

(Not sure how to indicate this. Maybe I'll just write "the end" or a longer version thereof in the final intel update bullet points and description, or add a quick dialog with Midnight)

Faptor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: February 18, 2024, 07:24:37 PM »

Oops! I must of been thinking of another mod mission. I haven't played in about a year so im mixing everything together haha
Thanks for the reply and Thank You for the mod! :D I couldn't imagine SS without it.

enigma74

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5831 on: February 20, 2024, 03:34:17 PM »

Does Nexerelin disable the new colony threat colony crisis mechanics with Hegemony, Persean League, Pirates, etc?  I actually enjoy starsector more without that stuff, sometimes I just want to play a random galaxy in Nexerelin and let my colonies grow in peace.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5832 on: February 22, 2024, 12:31:53 AM »

It doesn't, and I haven't (yet) planned to add a switch for this.

Drachenor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5833 on: February 22, 2024, 07:11:40 AM »

This may be a dumb question but I am certainly curious regardless.

Does befriending the Remnant's via Midnight help lessen the Remnant Colony Crisis? Or should I just clear out any systems with them in there before meeting her to avoid issues?

In .96 I enjoyed having a remnant Nexus in my sector, as they provided a very useful buffer against others as I grew.

sawert42

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5834 on: February 23, 2024, 04:51:59 AM »

So i think there might be some problem between "Terraforming and Station Construction" and "Nexerelin", cause right after building a station i got invasions coming to take that station pretty much constantly, before that i had multiple planets for many cycles and they didn't got invaded once, is there some kind of ai that prevents factions from invading just established colony or something, cause if yes i think that ai ignores stations build by a player.

I've already asked about it on TaSC and the mod maker said that he isn't aware of anything in his mod.
Also just fyi i'm playing on 0.96 and my Nexerelin version is v0.11.1
Pages: 1 ... 387 388 [389] 390 391 ... 399