Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 399

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3057751 times)

PeopleThief

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Nexerelin v0.10.4d "Dissonance" (fixes 2022-04-09)
« Reply #4590 on: April 25, 2022, 10:59:43 AM »

game crashes on startup with following error message:

Are you certain you've installed the most recent version of Nex, and didn't try to install it over an existing install?

This is the game being unable to find Nex's new game creation stuff in the files, which should only happen on a bad installation. Delete Nex and try installing again.
I installed from the main download button, and this is my first time installing it, so that shouldn't be the problem

abiggerbyte

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: April 25, 2022, 11:55:19 AM »

Hello everyone,
I have just cleansed my starting high-tech faction's shops of the Fast Herons invasion, and now trying to make the starting ship setups more various (RNG?)
Already dug into it and made some changes (that work) to the default templates. Yet can't quite figure out why, say, when I pick a Tri-Tachyon start and press Random near a certain fleet, they get a hardlock Venture as the first ship out of 3. And on other fleets it's full random, as it should be.
Right now I'm going through ...\mods\Nexerelin\data\config\exerelinFactionConfig\tritachyon.json. I also have HTE installed, and there's a similar path to this config in there.

Mostly curious where is the actual functionality for 'Random' located, and how does it work - do I just add more templates with ship names somewhere, or something else?
Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 12:22:42 PM by abiggerbyte »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4592 on: April 25, 2022, 05:55:23 PM »

Hello everyone,
I have just cleansed my starting high-tech faction's shops of the Fast Herons invasion, and now trying to make the starting ship setups more various (RNG?)
Already dug into it and made some changes (that work) to the default templates. Yet can't quite figure out why, say, when I pick a Tri-Tachyon start and press Random near a certain fleet, they get a hardlock Venture as the first ship out of 3. And on other fleets it's full random, as it should be.
Right now I'm going through ...\mods\Nexerelin\data\config\exerelinFactionConfig\tritachyon.json. I also have HTE installed, and there's a similar path to this config in there.

Mostly curious where is the actual functionality for 'Random' located, and how does it work - do I just add more templates with ship names somewhere, or something else?
Thank you in advance
Random starting ships (except for the rare 'grand fleet' type) picks each ship according to the game's concept of 'ships roles'. Relevant Nex code is here.
If a particular ship for a particular fleet type is always a Venture, it means the faction doesn't know* any other ships for that role(s). Or it does, but Venture is the only priority ship* and so the only one that gets picked.

*as defined in the .faction file in data/world/factions

game crashes on startup with following error message:

Are you certain you've installed the most recent version of Nex, and didn't try to install it over an existing install?

This is the game being unable to find Nex's new game creation stuff in the files, which should only happen on a bad installation. Delete Nex and try installing again.
I installed from the main download button, and this is my first time installing it, so that shouldn't be the problem
Try running without any other mods except the needed libraries.

Post a screenshot of the Nexerelin folder (including the bar with the folder location). Also make sure Nexerelin/jars/ExerelinCore.jar exists.

PeopleThief

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: April 25, 2022, 06:29:08 PM »

For me there is no jars folder.
I have run it with just Nexerelin and the libraries; same problem

PeopleThief

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: April 25, 2022, 06:44:05 PM »

A fresh download fixed it; sorry for wasting peoples time. For some reason the jars folder was missing

Pet_Mudstone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: April 25, 2022, 10:25:45 PM »

Relationship resets on dropping a commission might involve behavior that's unpredictable or somewhat illogical (e.g. if you committed random acts of piracy or war crimes, you probably shouldn't be forgiven just because you left your current employer), so if I examine the matter again I might have to do some thinking/coding for it.

...Well, a straight 'revert to before commission was taken' rule is at least simple and most of the needed code should already be in place, so I might well do that next version.

I do not think you should 'revert to before commission was taken' for the exact reasons you mentioned, but more importantly, it would be an extremely exploitable mechanic where a commission = free pass to commit warcrimes without consequence.

Join commission -> commit any number of unspeakable warcrimes -> drop commission -> all is forgiven, no consequence for player actions.

I believe this is why vanilla by default incurs a -10 malus to all relationships above 0 that are restored after you resign a commission. The variable that controls this is "factionCommissionRestoredRelationshipPenalty" in data\config\settings.json btw.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 10:51:39 PM by Pet_Mudstone »

Pet_Mudstone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: April 25, 2022, 10:51:20 PM »

Okay so I've tried testing that issue with "nex_skipStoryDefault" where it wouldn't let me start or load games and it's uh, not there anymore. I think the reason this is is because I replaced my entire Nexerelin installation to revert the jar modification. I believe I was using an outdated version of Nexerelin that didn't have "nex_skipStoryDefault" as a variable when i tried the test .jar.

But yeah anyways after that update loading and starting new games is fine with said test .jar, it also fixes the following fleets not attacking enemies you engage issue which is nice. :D

I do have another minor issue in that the integrated version checker says its not working even if I just use Nexerelin and its dependencies. I wonder if it's because I changed the name of all my mods (not IDs, just names) for sorting reasons?

abiggerbyte

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: April 26, 2022, 01:22:36 AM »

Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance
Random starting ships (except for the rare 'grand fleet' type) picks each ship according to the game's concept of 'ships roles'. Relevant Nex code is here.
If a particular ship for a particular fleet type is always a Venture, it means the faction doesn't know* any other ships for that role(s). Or it does, but Venture is the only priority ship* and so the only one that gets picked.

*as defined in the .faction file in data/world/factions

Awesome, thank you!

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: April 26, 2022, 04:53:55 AM »

Alright I am hoping that this is a bug... (0.10.4d)

I'm about ten years into a campaign.  As of three years prior I have managed to completely wipe out two different rival factions.  All of their planets and stations are gone.  History.  El morte.  No more.

In the three years since then, I have been attacked by no fewer than fourteen (14) vengeance/assassin fleets from one faction and eleven (11) identical fleets from the other. 

Where the $#(*$@ is all this crap coming from?!   

*hair pulling*

thiscattail

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: April 26, 2022, 11:03:28 AM »

I bet it's due to the vengeance fleet change to default ambush behavior. They auto-spawn due to negative relation hits. Which is fueled by destroying more ships and causing a repeating cycle. With no point of origin (planet), they also spawn instantly when you leave a system.

Prior mechanics with fleet-forming, travel-time, and options for diplomacy or sabotage were way more enjoyable imho.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4600 on: April 27, 2022, 06:24:39 AM »

I should make dead factions not spawn vengeance fleets, at least.

mora

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: April 28, 2022, 10:55:19 AM »

When a special task force demands you for ID via transponder, they will keep asking the same thing if you open comms again. This happened in hyperspace if that matters at all.

Meceka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: April 29, 2022, 04:48:21 AM »

Hello, being a first-time player of Nexerelin I would like to give feedback. I'm a civilization player for around 20 years. I'm also a game designer/developer.

I started with Hegemony, and I played this save game for around 4 days, in which I played around 3-4 hours in each of them.

I first grew my fleet doing normal things. I looked for the original storyline but couldn't find it. I wanted to replay that as it's been a year since I last played starsector.

After a while, I started joining Hegemony's big attacks on Tri-Tachyon planets and joined the raid with some marines. It was my first time joining a raid and I find this mechanic interesting and well made. Then I couldn't afford to have governorship of this planet but the raid was successful.

I was very surprised by how easy it was to capture a market. It took around 4 days and a few marines and heavy arnaments. I found this very short and too easy. In my imagination planets are huge. That should somehow be harder to gain/lose a planet and it makes a huge difference in the 4x world. Defenders should have more options or have time to react. In my opinion, it should be easier to defend and harder to gain a city. My recommendation would be to need something like a long siege, blocking every enter/exit, causing stability and resistance to reduce and making the planet capture'able.
Another suggestion would be to have attack in two stages.
1st stage: First gain the air. Remove anti-air capability of the planet to allow landing troops. Some smaller ships should be able to do close air support and help make landing the troops faster. When doing this you must have your fleet around the colony or you must leave some part of your fleet there.
2nd stage: Actual ground battle that's available right now.

For half of the gameplay I was fighting Tri Tachyon with Hegemony and we were the worst enemies of each other. Then there was a peace treaty and I found it a bit quick but was ok. I started fighting Persean League, and I myself alone without any help could capture a Persean League colony without any capital ships in a few days. I was surprised by how easy that was.

Hegemony became allies with Sindrian Diktat at some point here. If I recall correctly it was also an enemy at the start of the game but I never fought with them.

Then I joined Hegemony defending the planet which was pretty easy. Afterwards there was a Hegemony attack to another persean league planet which we succeeded and could capture again very easily.

In the meantime relation with Tri-Tachyon kept increasing pretty fast. So it was just 1 real world day (I don't know how many game days) and from worst enemies, Tri-Tachyon became allies with Hegemony. To be honest that doesn't make sense at all.
After allying Tri-Tachyon, conquest victory screen popped up which was a big surprise. I feel like I just began this game. Although I knew I can continue this game, now it feels weird, because the game is correct that Hegemony and their allies (Hegemony + Sindrian Diktat + Tri-Tachyon) dominate the world right now. But it doesn't make sense that Hegemony could become allies with its worst enemy in such a short time.

I know this mod is created voluntarily and my feedback shouldn't be taken as harsh criticism, I tried to give constructive feedback to possibly help to make the mod better in the future.

Brandon0sh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: April 29, 2022, 09:22:49 AM »

Heyy how's it going

Newer player who added your mod last week, been playing with it since. Just got to the point where I have a system worth taking, and man, I gotta say, the default mod settings are not the level of difficulty I have in mind when playing Star Sector.

Is there any chance of getting in game difficulty settings before you start the game, or maybe a context menu in game where you can adjust the difficulty on the fly? Almost any game I've played in recent years has an adjustable difficulty slider, and you've actually removed the one that was built into StarSector itself. I would really appreciate it.

Even if you name the 50% invasion strength, 50% Enemy FP per level tier "For babies like Brandon" I'll be happy.

Love

Pet_Mudstone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: April 29, 2022, 12:42:56 PM »

Heyy how's it going

Newer player who added your mod last week, been playing with it since. Just got to the point where I have a system worth taking, and man, I gotta say, the default mod settings are not the level of difficulty I have in mind when playing Star Sector.

Is there any chance of getting in game difficulty settings before you start the game, or maybe a context menu in game where you can adjust the difficulty on the fly? Almost any game I've played in recent years has an adjustable difficulty slider, and you've actually removed the one that was built into StarSector itself. I would really appreciate it.

Even if you name the 50% invasion strength, 50% Enemy FP per level tier "For babies like Brandon" I'll be happy.

Love

The Vanilla difficulty options are available when starting a new game if you click on 5. Other Options

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 399