Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not on Steam Greenlight?  (Read 2064 times)

Excalibur Bane

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Not on Steam Greenlight?
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:10:08 PM »

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering why Starsector isn't on the Steam Greenlight program? Or did I miss it somewhere?

It certainly seems like it would make an excellent early access title and get more people out there aware of this game.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
Re: Not on Steam Greenlight?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »

Alex has said that he wants to wait until Starsector is more fleshed out, and that is when it might go on greenlight. Until then, we wait... *cackles evily*

Excalibur Bane

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »

Pity. I think it would do really well on Greenlight. Starsector is legendary compared to some of the mind numbing garbage they have on there. The whole thing seems fixed to me, but that's probably just me. I just see alot of games getting greenlit that are junk, and alot of really fantastic games remaining in limbo.

Anywho, hopefully he decides to put it up there soon. :)

FloW

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:41:46 PM »

Hi there! :)

Steam Greenlight is a great platform for indie games and its likely that Starsector will eventually use it (or other means to get on Steam). That time, however, has not yet come. Starsector still needs a bit to mature, I'm sure when it's ready the developers will make their move on steam. Here's what the lead developer said about the idea:

"Guys - I appreciate the thought, but I really don't feel like Starsector is ready for this kind of exposure. Please don't do anything on my behalf to make that happen - I think it could end up causing serious problems, both for the development of the game, the community, and, indeed, my mental health :) "

See also this post by David, the art designer.

As a general advice: It is a good idea to use the search function (upper right corner) to see if anyone posted a similar suggestion before ;)
"The point is, you see, that there is no point in driving yourself mad trying to stop yourself going mad. You might just as well give in and save your sanity for later.''
- Ford Prefect, creator of the giraffe; a very long time ago

Excalibur Bane

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:54:30 PM »

Sorry, didn't mean to spam up the forums. I'll search next time. Didn't even think of it. :\

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 12:09:51 AM »

Hey Excalibur,

Don't worry about spamming up the forums haha, it's all part of the learning curve here!

I'll just take this moment to welcome you to the forums, step by our modding section and spriters thread too, lots of good stuff going on there haha.

Feel free to contribute wherever you like, we love seeing new faces and works
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:43:43 PM »

Remember the search function is your best friend on forums.