Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Combat sound effects in 0.6a  (Read 56366 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Combat sound effects in 0.6a
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 01:05:25 AM »

oh how silly of me, this isn't a thread for the development pace

love the new hellbore, been a while since I saw a huge spaceship cannon that sounds like a huge spaceship cannon

nice job stian! ;D
mmm.... tartiflette

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 01:43:26 AM »

Ach, just realized I didn't leave feedback  ::)

1. The Gauss is nice and distinctive.  Would have liked a dog-whistle capacitor "snap" at the start there, but it's certainly nice and chunky, which is good :)

2.  I like what I hear with shields on/off- sounds like they're in stereo now?

3.  The pop-pop-pop of the high-RoF Vulcans will get really old, fast.  It's not that it's a bad sound, merely a monotonous one.  Might need more pitch variation.

4.  I'd really like audio feedback noises (i.e., ricochet sounds) to tell us when hits are light and not piercing armor, medium, ditto, etc., so that we get an audio cue as to what's going on.  I don't think it works to take that out.

5.  The Tachyon Lance is nice and sinister-sounding.  I think that'd be my top-dog pick here.

6.  The Hellbore is OK, but it's just not quite distinctive enough yet- sort of Big Gun Generic, not bad, not memorable.  Maybe a bit of clinkity-clack at the trail end, a metallic "slam" for the breech block being cleared, something of that sort?

7.  The Plasma Cannon is, imo, the weakest link.  For something that is (supposedly!) powerful and useful, it comes across way, way too "pew pew" and it needs some crackle and pop on top of something suitably deep and noisy.  On the other hand, unless it's been buffed for this build, the weapon still sucks so it's not that important whether the sound's great (don'tcha hate great sounds on weak-sauce weapons?).

8.  The Antimatter Blaster is the one weapon I kind of went back and forth on.  On the one hand, it's one of the few real one-hit-kill weapons vs. anything short of a capital ship.  So it kind of has a weak feeling that is maybe not appropriate.  However, if it's not missing, the difference in time between it shooting and it killing stuff is very short (in Vanilla, at least).  So it almost doesn't matter what it sounds like, because the impact sound is where the excitement should be.

Overall, it's definitely a great improvement over the, erm, limited sounds in the current build :)

Areas I'd like to see more, well, Stuff in the audio realm:

1.  More interest / variety to damage states.  For example, you've just taken a major hit, metal's white-hot... it'd be neat to hear hull members groan a little, sounds of spalling, that sort of stuff.  Not super-loud, mind.

2.  Dead stuff should make interesting noises right after death.  Ditto per above.

3.  More engine sound variety.  There are basically only two engine loops atm (ok, 3, but the 3rd one's basically just time-shifted to change pitch).

4.  Are we going to see changes in the various alert tones, like how the missile cues are given, what tones are played when?  Most of the system is good atm and the sounds are reasonable; the only thing I find constantly objectionable is the missile-warning tone, which needs to occur about 1000% less frequently (like, lock it to 1 per second, max, or even less).  

When I'm getting spammed with Annihilator rockets from afar, I don't want my eardrums full of "ping" sounds.

Or, as a more radical idea... do like they do IRL in fighters- use a looping tone to indicate missiles inbound.  A constant, low-level tone would be risky, though- that situation with the Annihilators might mean I hear the tone from combat start to end.  That's why I'd rather just see the frequency it can play locked down.

Another alternative:  non-guided rockets get no sound, like shots.  Torpedoes get an "ahooga", to indicate something dangerous incoming.  Guided missiles get a tone if they're guiding on your ship.

5.  Are we going to get sounds that can be cued when we enter a Station?  When we open communications with a Faction, will it play a distinct sting?  I presume Dialog code can run sounds, so I'm guessing it's all theoretically possible atm.

6.  I'd like to hear the fighters more distinctly; they generally sound like any ol' Frigate and it'd be nice if they were distinct and cutely dopplered.   Having a bunch of bombers pass overhead should be a delicious audio treat (as well as killing you).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:54:13 AM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 02:18:11 AM »

1. The Gauss is nice and distinctive.  Would have liked a dog-whistle capacitor "snap" at the start there

Agreed, a build-up sound accompanying the graphical build-up would be good.

3.  More engine sound variety.  There are basically only two engine loops atm (ok, 3, but the 3rd one's basically just time-shifted to change pitch).

Agreed, once you pick up some distinctive element the loop becomes obvious. Can't unhear it. Different samples randomly tacked together on the fly would be nice.

4.  Are we going to see changes in the various alert tones, like how the missile cues are given, what tones are played when?  

That has been confirmed before. But I have no clue in what way it will be changed.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 02:25:39 AM »

I'm really curious about the Heavy Blaster and phase skimmer sound effects, those are the old sounds I had the biggest pet peeve with.

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 02:44:42 AM »

To hopefully answer a lot of questions in one fell swoop:

With the exception of ship system sounds (burn drive, emp emitter, fast missile racks etc.) and command interface sounds, _EVERY_ sound has been replaced. That includes alarms, shields, engines and the like. BTW there are now 15 different engine sounds, one for each ship size and tech level combination, although many of them are, unsurprisingly, similar in type.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:47:40 AM by StianStark »
www.stianstark.com /// Twitter @stianstark

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 02:58:33 AM »

Can we hear them in preview? 

I think of all of the changes, that's probably the one that's "most likely to annoy or thrill", since it's the one sound type we have to hear all the time.

The only ship Systems I'd like to see new sounds for are Phase Skimmer (agreed on that being a bit meh)

And for goodness sakes, please, a new sound for Ammo Feed... that motorcycle-rev...

Maybe something vaguely like this?
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 03:11:00 AM »

Ah, I forgot that phase skimmer and teleporter were ship systems! Those two are another exception, they too have completely new sounds!  ;D

The missile pings should not bother anyone anymore, they are more like really short 'ticks' of a geiger counter now.
www.stianstark.com /// Twitter @stianstark

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 03:28:24 AM »

Well, all that's left now is to wait until it actually comes out and destroys any prospect I had of doing a good effort on my bachelor's thesis.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 04:12:41 AM »

Well, all that's left now is to wait until it actually comes out and destroys any prospect I had of doing a good effort on my bachelor's thesis.

Same here :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 04:57:15 AM »

My mind just melted when I heard the shield impact sounds.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 05:16:15 AM »

I really like the new sounds, though the Hellbore could have a bit more impact to  it, considering it is of the most old artillery-like weapon in Starsector.

What I'm really interested in is the Thermal Canon change for the Onslaught. Right now it feels like a big wave of flushing water, and it's not that nice to hear.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:20:45 AM by Troll »

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 05:39:58 AM »

I just wondering is there sound of missile/torpedo engine?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 05:47:22 AM »

I like these dark tones so MUCH, they fit very well the dystopian setting of the game, dark and brutal. Can't wait to get my hands on it and have a huge vanilla playthrough to test it all. Best development team ever.

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »

Gauss - Nice and sweet. Nitpick: a very subtle, fast and quiet "...oOFFP" (breathing in) as the charge up.

VS Shields - amazing.

VS Armour - the armour hits could be crispier and shorter. Right now it sounds like someone is beating on the other side of thick glass (think big public aquarium glass). Perhaps even a hammer beating on an anvil and then do some editing passes on that could work.

Antimatter Blaster - sounds really sweet but i don't think it fits that specific weapon. AMB is a very slow firing weapon and as such needs a meatier and longer sound. That sound you used could probably be better for a faster firing weapon such as the Pulse Lasers.

Torpedoes - sounds nice, but i really think it needs a travel sound (any big weapon projectile needs it imho). A comical example is the classical whistle falling bombs make in World War II, so something like that would be really good.

Tachyon - very meh. I would expect something more along the lines of an heavy electric engine hum. I dunno the sound is different than what i perceive it would be.

Plasma Cannon - this sound would be perfect on the Antimatter Blaster above.

Hellbore - very nice, perhaps make it crispier a tad, too muted i think.

A very good set of sounds for weapons.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 08:13:15 AM »

Did you make new shield sounds for every size/tech combo as well? Also stop complaining about the AM blaster noise, a short subtle report followed by hilarious amounts of destruction/a huge explosion is extremely satisfying. ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8