Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Any sound teasers for Mr. StianStark to share? :D  (Read 20349 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Any sound teasers for Mr. StianStark to share? :D
« on: February 12, 2013, 12:05:16 AM »

You could even make a community game out of it by uploading a brief few seconds of the new weapon sounds or whatever to https://soundcloud.com/ and have everyone try to guess which sound is going to belong to what! ;D

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
    • Stian Stark - Game Audio Forge
Re: Any sound teasers for Mr. StianStark to share? :D
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 02:09:24 AM »

I'm not a teaser by nature, but I'll think about it :)

New weapon sounds will arrive in the game in one big update replacing all old sounds. This is because the old and new sounds don't really play well together, the new sounds are darker and I've really tried to make a lot of them sound as "realistic" as possible, less like something an arcade game would sound like.

I've also taken up the challenge to _try_ to make beam weapons sound like something other than "pew pew" or "bzzzz". I'm not sure if I'll succeed as well as I'd like, it's quite difficult because we are so accustomed to those stereotypes.

Anyway, good things come to those that wait  ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:14:15 AM by StianStark »
www.stianstark.com /// Twitter @stianstark

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 03:47:41 AM »

I'm not a teaser by nature, but I'll think about it :)

New weapon sounds will arrive in the game in one big update replacing all old sounds. This is because the old and new sounds don't really play well together, the new sounds are darker and I've really tried to make a lot of them sound as "realistic" as possible, less like something an arcade game would sound like.

I've also taken up the challenge to _try_ to make beam weapons sound like something other than "pew pew" or "bzzzz". I'm not sure if I'll succeed as well as I'd like, it's quite difficult because we are so accustomed to those stereotypes.

Anyway, good things come to those that wait  ;)

Sweet! Make sure the hellbore's sound remains the same, I love the giant thump of it firing a massive slug
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »

Sounds good :)

I always thought a buzz saw could be a great basis for a strong beam weapon sound...
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:45:52 AM »

Actually, I think that the beam weapons sound pretty cool. It sounds like a projecter being turned on and the beam has a nice low humming sound.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:37:34 AM »

Yeah, the beam weapons are done quite well, especially the medium ones. I also really like the shield sound effects. Still, I'm really looking forward to hearing what you've cooked up.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:34:26 AM »

Actually, Magicka had some interesting beam sound effects - sorta like the droning of a very large electric motor.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:33:31 AM »

Sounds good :)

I always thought a buzz saw could be a great basis for a strong beam weapon sound...

I'd say something of a mix between a buzz-saw and a power-drill would be pant-crappingly scary if you aren't the one shooting it. If you are... evil laughter, ho!

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »

I remember going into 0.54.1a for the first time, and realizing all the sound effects had gone from being clean and high to grimy and machine-like.

By the way, do you even compress mate? :P
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »

I'm acutely aware that the new sounds will create some backlash because everyone's gotten so used to the old stuff. After a brief period of adjustment, however, I hope many will experience the new sounds as something that help immerse the player in the gritty, cutt-throat universe of Starsector.

Personally, I perceive the biggest problem with the current sounds to be that they are very "gamey" - many effects have an almost cartoon-like quality to them. They remind me of arcade games and cheesier scifi films, which in turn has an anti-immersive effect on me. I'd like to inject some atmosphere into battles, some sense of distance and size. The new sounds won't be any softer or nicer, though! Still bad ass but more bad ass like Christian Bale's Batman and less bad ass like Jim Carrey's The Riddler.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 03:55:01 PM »

A massive sound change eh? Nobody will ACTUALLY mind.

We'll get a few folks who set up big polls, post essays about how much the old sound effects meant to them, how you've ruined their childhood, etc. etc.

A week later, nobody will be talking about it.

Much like the name change.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »

The new sounds won't be any softer or nicer, though! Still bad ass but more bad ass like Christian Bale's Batman and less bad ass like Jim Carrey's The Riddler.

Pretty stoked to hear what you've got going! Makes we wish I had 5.1 surround sound for my computer... 8)

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »

Can we get some beams that sound like the ones from Freespace/Nexus? Maybe add a charge up sound for extra effect. The sounds from Freespace really let you know that something, somewhere was being erased from existence. The ones from Nexus made it really obvious whether a PD/light/heavy beam was firing. Just some suggestions.

StianStark

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Music & Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 03:44:42 AM »

Can we get some beams that sound like the ones from Freespace/Nexus? Maybe add a charge up sound for extra effect. The sounds from Freespace really let you know that something, somewhere was being erased from existence. The ones from Nexus made it really obvious whether a PD/light/heavy beam was firing. Just some suggestions.

Never played those, link to a sound demo somewhere?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 04:08:44 AM »

Freespace had long audible charge up/down periods, don't know if that's practical.

Here's an isolated sample (only the first and third clip):

In action:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 03:53:33 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4