Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: New ship systems and hull mods. Post your ideas here!  (Read 28236 times)

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
New ship systems and hull mods. Post your ideas here!
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:46:56 PM »

Hello guys, I have had a few ideas for ship systems and hull mods swimming around in my head for a while, so I decided to put them here. Any feedback or other ideas are welcome.

Ship Systems:
1. Missile Lock: when activated makes any missile, rocket or torpedo travel 50% faster, have 50% more maneuverability and track targets 50% better. Lasts for 20-30 seconds.
2. Button Up: reduces damage taken by 50% when activated but will prevent flux dissipation and venting and turns off shields.
3. Repair Drones: deploys drones that repair your ship and any others nearby. Lasts 30 seconds and can be used once.
4. Emergency Resupply: When activated, the ship sends out ammunition drones to resupply 50% of the ammunition of friendly ships. Can be used once.

Hull Mods:
1. Escape Pods: when the ship is disabled, anywhere from 100-50% of the crew will survive the explosion by using escape pods. Works only on Destroyers and up as the pods take up too much space to fit on Frigates.
2. Automated Crew: replaces 50% of the ships crew with robots. The robots are more accurate with auto-firing weapons and reduces the skeleton crew needed by half. Also it takes 25% longer to vent and overloads last 25% longer as robots can't handle flux well.
3. Advanced Sensors: increases a ship radar range by 50% and captures objectives 50% faster.
4. Coolant Systems : decreases flux generated by weapons by 50% but decreases weapon durability by 100%.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:30:26 PM by SpainardSlayer »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: New ship systems and hull mods
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »

I really like Missile Lock - I think it should only apply to missiles fired when it is active (and only at the current target), but it would be a really nice hullmod for the Vigilance. Maybe just 50% more maneuverable and not 50% faster (with Harpoons I think this would be more useful, because the tighter cornering is really what they need for those pesky Hounds :P).

Advanced Sensors is interesting - it would be a nice hullmod to put on fighters or exploration ships. I think we could mod the sight in ourselves if we wanted to, the Apogee drones do something similar...

There's been some talk about repair drones being a thing, but I don't know what the official word is one it. I think a repair ship would be interesting, but have to have really special AI.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New ship systems and hull mods
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:48:29 PM »

With Automated crew- This could be something that is specific for some ships like the Astral (the Capital ship that acts as a huge carrier) as I'm 90% sure it says if extremly automated. Just my thoughts, otherwise the Button Up could be changed a little. Maybe 150%? because sheilds allow you to take no damage, so this thing would have to have none.....wait maybe for the Doom and other phase ships....hmmmm

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New ship systems and hull mods. Post your ideas here!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts, I think I will change the OP a little to tweak the percentages. Also I added the Coolant Systems hull mod.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:43:03 PM by SpainardSlayer »

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:35:26 PM »

Hello guys, I have had a few ideas for ship systems and hull mods swimming around in my head for a while, so I decided to put them here. Any feedback or other ideas are welcome.

Ship Systems:
1. Missile Lock: when activated makes any missile, rocket or torpedo travel 50% faster, have 50% more maneuverability and track targets 50% better. Lasts for 20-30 seconds.
2. Button Up: reduces damage by 100% when activated but will prevent flux dissipation and venting and turns off shields.
3. Repair Drones: deploys drones that repair your ship and any others nearby. Lasts 30 seconds and can be used once.

Hull Mods:
1. Escape Pods: when the ship is disabled, 100-50% of the crew will survive the explosion by using escape pods. Works only on Destroyers and up as the pods take up too much space to fit on Frigates.
2. Automated Crew: replaces 50% of the ships crew with robots. The robots are more accurate with auto-firing weapons and reduces the skeleton crew needed by half. Also it takes 25% longer to vent and overloads last 25% longer as robots can't handle flux well.
3. Advanced Sensors: increases a ship radar range by 50% and captures objectives 50% faster.
4.   Coolant Systems : decreases flux generated by weapons by 50% but decreases weapon durability by 100%.

Let's see:
Missile lock -> i like it, but i'd like it more with some downsides. Nothing unfair, maybe forcing to keep the shields off while the ability is active... But then the duration should be smaller, otherwise your ship is going to get murdered in no time.
Button up -> meh, it's like an invincibility button. It is a hard counter to strike weaponry, also it would be immersion-breaking for me.  :) A reduction in damage sounds ok to me, but something like this is a bit excessive. :)
Repair drones -> i'd like it, but i don't know how much use it could find in the fast paced battles we have.  :)

Escape pods -> totally agree with this. If crew is going to be more rare in the future than now we may need something like this.
Automated Crew -> veeery nice! :)  Maybe instead of flux penalties it could reduce the crew level by one (so, if normally you'd have a veteran crew, with this you get regular crew).
Advanced Sensors -> we need something to spice up the whole capture point system, this could be one way of doing it. I'd only the ability to cap a point slower even if a ship of equal size is present (or 2 of smaller size, then 4 of even smaller size, then 8 and so on ).  :)
Coolant Systems -> maybe the flux reduction could be set to 25%, because 50 feels too good, especially for high tech ships that get strong shields (so no weapon damage) and inefficient weapons. For those ships this could become a no-brainer.

Really, i think that all of these (except Advanced Sensors, maybe) can be already made, so a modder may want to take some ideas from this thread and make a small mod... *hint hint* :P
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »

While I agree that Missile Lock needs some tweaking, I believe that Button Up has enough downsides so as not to be OP, also I don't think that it's a hard counter to strike weapons. It may be used in several situations like "Oh crap, there's bombers heading my way and I'm high on flux. I should just activate Button Up." While it can let you shrug off the damage, eventually you won't be able to fire weapons as your flux will be too high and you will eventually have to turn it off and vent. Also, how would it be immersion breaking? Basically the crew is hunkering down, shutting off the shield generator and closing the Flux Vents to reduce damage as much as possible.  

Also Coolant Systems reduces weapon durability by 100% so even if it is effective on high tech ships the weapons will be disabled quite easily as high tech ships have low Armor to begin with.
Anyway, thank you for the feedback and if you are able put these into a mod I would like to try it.

EDIT: I just realized that the way I worded Button Up did make it an invincibility button so I changed it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:01:37 AM by SpainardSlayer »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:57 PM »

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but with button up you take no damage while its active? I don't think that would be good.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »

Woops, sorry  :P I worded Button Up pretty badly, what I meant to say was that your ship took 2x less damage not make it invincible...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 06:04:55 PM »

Woops, sorry  :P I worded Button Up pretty badly, what I meant to say was that your ship took 2x less damage not make it invincible...

Half damage or 50% damage is what you are looking for :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 06:49:02 PM »

Personally I'd like to see a way to add weapons as ship systems (that the AI can use).  Lots of possibilities with just that. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 08:30:28 PM »

A hull mod that decreases weapon range in exchange for greater flux efficiency would be pretty cool and add an alternative to sticking Integrated Targeting Unit on every single capital ship. Just scale it so it doesnt become a no-brainer for frigates.

Zenos Ebeth

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 04:00:31 AM »

I've got a few ideas that might be interesting.

Rocket propelled ammo:Your projectile weapons fire miniaturized rockets. Makes the bullet travel faster , the extra space required to store these means that you get 25% less ammo per engagement.

Phase cloak distruptor:
Your ships is equipped with an advanced module designed to interfere with phase shifting cloaks. Makes cloaked ship near you(only the ones which have the mod equipped i should add) create 2x as much flux from using their cloak. (should be expensive , ordnance points-wise, possibly only available to a certain class of ship)

Emergency flux vents:The first time you vent your flux you can still operate your ship normally ( use shields , fire weapons). limited to 1 use per engagement.

Weapon Overload:You can , once per battle , redirect the energy of yor shields to your weapon system , for a few second your are shieldless but the weapon group you are currently using gains a big buff to range , fire rate and damage. However after the buff is over , all of the weapons have around 10% chance of being disabled (same as being disabled by ennemy fire)

Give your opinions , i made these thinking the ai should have them installed on a few of their ships too , i think it would make battles more interesting.

HeliosRX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 06:33:20 AM »

@ Cycerin, would the two be stackable? Reduced flux + normal range?

Howabout this one:
Ship System: Suicide Run
Exactly what's written on the tin: As soon as you hit F, you gain Burn Drive speed and Maneuvering Jets maneuverability for an unlimited duration (though 'unlimited' means until you die, which is obviously very soon) and your ramming damage to both parties is multiplied by a factor of 10-30 (whatever balances the game). In exchange, you lose shields, all weapons, and take 100% more damage.

Guaranteed death risk, but potential comeback payoff, such as Dominator vs Aurora or something. Stick on low-tech ship for lore purposes.

Or this:
Hullmod: Repair Nanobots: Your Armor (but not your hull) are slowly regenerated if not hit for a period of 10 consecutive seconds. Perfect for Onslaught, no? Unlocked though some tech tree, obviously.

Or this:
Ship System: Fleet Repair Matrix: For a limited time, all ships in your fleet rapidly repair themselves, including limited repairs to Armor and Hull. Maxes out flux for the user ship and disables weapons (so you can still shield against a single blow at cost of overload)

One last one, as soon as warp drives are implemented:
Hullmod: Emergency Warp: Consumes excessive fuel when used. Allows ships with this hullmod to escape battle without taking damage, say as in the Escape Auto-Resolve option. When a whole fleet has this, you can escape enemy fleets entirely, just like in devmode. Again, consumes loads of fuel.

Sonlirain

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 07:59:43 AM »

Emergency flux vents:The first time you vent your flux you can still operate your ship normally ( use shields , fire weapons). limited to 1 use per engagement.

That has the potential to be a game breaker.
Venting doubles your flux dissipation and lasts as long as there is any flux to vent.
Now if we have a big ship like those fnacypants hitech cruisers battlecruisers and battleships with huge flux dissipation and capacity... well they could probably tank a several Sathanas and laugh in their anoyed faces.

Zenos Ebeth

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 08:19:43 AM »

That has the potential to be a game breaker.
Venting doubles your flux dissipation and lasts as long as there is any flux to vent.
Now if we have a big ship like those fnacypants hitech cruisers battlecruisers and battleships with huge flux dissipation and capacity... well they could probably tank a several Sathanas and laugh in their anoyed faces.

It's true you could potentially make your ship invicible by purposefully keeping flux to have infinite vent bonuses , maybe change mechanic so that the venting only accounts for the flux you have at the moment of pressing the vent key ? Otherwise just scrap the idea if that's not possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6