Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2226043 times)

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6885 on: May 27, 2017, 05:05:45 AM »

I think they're saying to make the 2 prongs separate "modules" (like what [REDACTED] battlestations have), instead of hull elements. Interesting thought, I say, would make the ship a little more interesting gameplay wise, too

Something like the Station-thingy somewhere in official blog / Drone Mothership?

Progress!

Spoiler

[close]

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: May 27, 2017, 08:20:38 AM »

Lovely :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: May 27, 2017, 11:10:02 PM »

These are what the ships should go for after some changes. And due to the nature of image control, the new designs are posted on Imgur instead of Tinypic.

Spoiler

[close]

The new Spindel/Headstrong cargo ship needed new cargo containers that go along with it, so these larger containers are made from scratch.

As an added bonus, conversions of two ships to Protonian overhauls.

Spoiler

Non-GIFs

[close]

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: May 28, 2017, 01:44:43 AM »

Ryxen, that trench is still far too deep to play nicely with the game :(

Inotna

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: May 29, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »

A cruiser based on the Hammerhead

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: May 29, 2017, 02:23:21 PM »

Pulling off gold is tricky and the details are pretty good!

But... if you want critique:
Spoiler
If this is an original design, then, well-done indeed!  This looks pretty good!  There are a few areas where the lighting's not perfect, but overall, it's great.

However, I can't get past those weapon mounts; they ruined an otherwise decent sprite.

They're using colors that clash with your core colors, their design doesn't fit your design, etc.  They look copy-pasted in, with a minimum of post-work to make them fit.

Please, make them fit with the rest of the aesthetics.  It makes all the work you've put into the rest of the ship largely look irrelevant, like you just couldn't be bothered to care about final presentation.
[close]
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: May 29, 2017, 02:42:12 PM »

I'll be harsher than Xeno on this one, it feels very amateur-ish compared to your previous one. Lot of flat parts (the ones with the weapon mounts) "filling" the sprite, with armors plates on the sides just to "close" the overall shape. Everything feels cobbled together here, like a very obvious kitbash.

It's not all bad, i really like the middle passerelle, the weapon hardpoints are pretty interesting looking too. Still, it's far from being as sleek and sexy as your Battlecruiser.

Inotna

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: May 29, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »

Thanks for the c & c, I'll revise it when I have the time.

Inotna

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: May 30, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »

Update. Overhauled side armors and area around turrets. Matched the colors of the turret mounts a bit, and revised front turret hard-points. Leaving this as it is for now.
Spoiler
[close]

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6894 on: May 30, 2017, 01:23:07 PM »

I made a few variants of my existing ship.

Spoiler

Nakiha Class Destroyer
Normal

Just like vanilla destroyers, you'll mostly see this one in the sector.

----

Nakiha Class Destroyer ( Military )
Aeria Royal Fleet

A slightly uncommon sight mostly used by the military fleets.  

----

Nakiha Class Destroyer ( AI )
Advanced

A much rarer variant of the destroyer. mostly used by autonomous defense fleet.  
----

Nakiha Class Destroyer
Damaged

A damaged destroyer.

[close]

-and as usual, portraits. I'll try my best to make as much varieties like vanillas as possible.

Spoiler

[close]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:36:46 PM by Ryxsen1421 »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: May 30, 2017, 02:03:28 PM »

Update. Overhauled side armors and area around turrets. Matched the colors of the turret mounts a bit, and revised front turret hard-points. Leaving this as it is for now.
Spoiler
[close]

Muuuuch better.

Ryxzen, the differences between the destroyers are very subtle, probably too subtle. The ships are good, but i think you could go with something a bit more bold when it comes to paintjobs. Ideally the player should be able to differentiate each other with a glance. I know this is a rule that isn't even really respected in the vanilla game, but that's my feeling about it.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6896 on: May 30, 2017, 03:17:18 PM »

Ryxzen, the differences between the destroyers are very subtle, probably too subtle. The ships are good, but i think you could go with something a bit more bold when it comes to paintjobs. Ideally the player should be able to differentiate each other with a glance. I know this is a rule that isn't even really respected in the vanilla game, but that's my feeling about it.

I think I see your point regarding the ability to tell the differences between each variants. but there isn't much option for me to choose since I'm very picky in making paintjobs. Did you notice the dazzle camouflage patterns? That's how stubborn I am. lol I'll see if I can make something up to make 'em stand out among each other, suggestions are welcome!

Makina

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: May 30, 2017, 03:42:38 PM »

After a year without actually doing it, I just put myself back to kit-bashing for your biggest misfortune and for fun, so to make a little pile of garbage sprites and as it is always good to have outside opinions. Well I'm here. On the other hand, although I tried several things from the flight decks of the biggest, I cannot put anything to make them less empty without it looks ridiculous or totally incoherent... Or simply That I like it. Same problem with the paint job to find a color that is not already used by already existing factions. (Vanilla or Modded)

Fighters

Fregates
Spoiler
[close]

Light carrier and Destroyer
Spoiler
[close]

Cruisers
Spoiler
[close]

Battleship
Spoiler
[close]

Heavy carrier
Spoiler
[close]

Random stuff... ( Drones ? Turrets ? )
Spoiler
[close]

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: May 30, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »

Cool kitbashed ships! But the carrier needs some work on those strange... Metal ball things? (Gunpoints?)
Hello!

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: May 30, 2017, 03:54:14 PM »

Fighters look good.  So do the frigates, though the nose of the one on the right is perhaps a bit too recognizeable as having come off a Medusa.  The destroyers are maybe a bit small, though - they're too big to be frigates, but definitely on the small side of destroyers.  Similarly, the cruisers look like destroyers - I'd probably look at increasing their width by maybe 50% or so, if not more.

The battleship, by contrast, is pretty solidly capital ship sized.  And the Heavy Carrier looks supercapital to me - the sort of crazy boss ship that'd fill the same role as a [REDACTED] battlestation.

The light carrier's flight deck could use a bit more work, imo; it's kinda hard to visually parse.  Maybe widen it to two or three lanes instead of one?  Or one plus two half-lanes?  Not sure.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 482