Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2253903 times)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #5880 on: November 18, 2015, 02:47:09 AM »

Bit of a dump, but this is the current status of the JP fleet, all next to one another for context ...

Incorporates various tweaks, generally tried to desaturate e.g. the Dugong to make them a bit more aligned visually and reduce the garish colours, also added detail to the Dugong. Also added a contrast pass to the Kraken, which I think has improved it somewhat without any detail tweaks. New hammer, new ships (Jackdaw and Orcenstein).

Probably got three or four weaker sprites; langoustine, reaper, turbot, octopus (maybe Clam / sickle, but they are little enough that they maybe get away with it). Big ship refurbishments are daunting ... but will probably get round to it at some point when inspiration hits.

Spoiler
[close]

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: November 18, 2015, 02:55:29 AM »

Wow, some of them really are a steep improvement!  :o

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: November 18, 2015, 03:29:30 AM »

I'm not convinced by the Orcenstein. While it definitely follow the path of the Boxenstein as two ships cobbled together, its over-symmetry is infuriating in comparison to the extremely asymmetrical rest of the fleet. Have to say i never was super fan of the Boxenstein either.

The ship idea isn't bad by any mean. It's an extremely boxy Dominator-like, which is an interesting addition for the faction. But the symmetry seems too forced, much more than its destroyer counterpart. That red slab at the prow is especially jarring.

The Dugong rework is good i think, it feel tougher. I'll miss the teal paintjob though, even more now since the Jackdaw have the same color now.

The Reaper have indeed aged pretty badly compared to the other sprites, that "fighter stairway" always looked so weird. The other ones also feel old but clearly not as much.

Anyway, it's good to see that you're back working on your faction with 0.7.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: November 18, 2015, 07:32:59 AM »

Thanks guys.

On the symmetrical ships - which are obvious 'lazy kitbashes' - in their defense I do think they have a functional place in the faction (regardless of arguments about whether the sprites are any good or not) and provide a useful contrast of normality as compared to the asymmetry elsewhere. I'm not convinced the Box/Orcenstein are my best sprites or creations, but I certainly appreciate having the Boxenstein in my fleet (when playing e.g. as JP faction) and feel like it's in a pretty good place gameplay-wise.

Playing the Orcenstein, it really is just a Dominator-analogue with the same strengths and weaknesses. I've given the Orcenstein Manouvering Jets, so plays slightly differently, but this only really serves to aid the lack of other defenses (as given by e.g. the Dominator small weapons). i.e. I think it serves a purpose and is not just fluff for the sake of it.

Assuming I want to keep it functionally similar; does something like this* work, or would you prefer to see more clear asymettry? Is it that jarring, conceptually, as compared to the rest of the fleet?

*'proof of concept', done on a laptop on a train to test out the principle rather than presenting as a final sprite
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:15:44 PM by mendonca »

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: November 18, 2015, 09:26:33 AM »

So much better. Symmetry itself isn't a problem, but when you cut one half part and copy/past the other one, a "lazy kitbash", it usually looks weird. And given the usual quality of your work, it was a bit surprising.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: November 23, 2015, 03:32:26 PM »

Felt like doing some ships variants for the Luddic Path, because we need more ways to die in the campaign.

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: November 23, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »

Felt like doing some ships variants for the Luddic Path, because we need more ways to die in the campaign.

Question about the Lasher repaint in particular; one major reason the Lasher model got greeble-reduction surgery was to make it easier to repaint.  At the risk of putting you on the spot (sorry!), how much easier is the new model to repaint compared to the old, and do you think the new model went a bit too far?  I wish at least a few more of the greebles had stayed. =(

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: November 23, 2015, 04:12:09 PM »

I personally like the new Lasher, the old one was too noisy for my liking, i'm not even sure i ever kitbashed it because of that. And yeah, it's now much easier to paint on.

I'm overall pretty happy about David's work, only the Eagle and Falcon leave me sceptical.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: November 23, 2015, 04:46:13 PM »

Those Pather ships look cool. My only criticism is that they could look a bit more rugged/ use the (D) sprites as a base.

EDIT: Nevermind.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:05:37 PM by Toxcity »

TheBawkHawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: November 23, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »

Hi again! Sorry for not posting in a while, my hard drive crashed and it took a while to get everything back in order. Anyhow, I did a bit of editing to my Battlecarrier from a while back. I think she's nearing completion!

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: November 24, 2015, 02:00:33 AM »

I like that, looks very plausible as a ship from the Core Epoch.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #5891 on: November 24, 2015, 02:10:52 AM »

I love that converted Dram.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: December 04, 2015, 04:13:42 PM »

I was sad the Sunder (one of the weakest vanilla sprite in my opinion) still didn't received a overhaul like the Hammerhead did... So I made this:

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: December 04, 2015, 04:30:30 PM »

I was sad the Sunder (one of the weakest vanilla sprite in my opinion) still didn't received a overhaul like the Hammerhead did... So I made this:

Certainly a lot beefier looking now.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: December 04, 2015, 05:01:08 PM »

It looks cool. Unfortunately it looks a little to beefy for the Sunder (being a Glass cannon and all).
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 482