Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: QoL map requests  (Read 215 times)

kaoseth

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
QoL map requests
« on: September 17, 2024, 08:14:18 PM »

There's been some map things that have been bugging me lately, I'd really to share them, and see them fixed.

Please make the grid lines every 2.5ly instead of 3.33.   With thicker gridlines at 10ly.   

Please have an option to show gates.  Yes, it's on intel tab map, but I'd really like to see them on the tab map. 

Please add something like "space structures" on the intel tab that shows locations of abandoned stations I can store ships at, the cryosleepers, hyper shunts, and probably the derelict mothership too. 

Quick thought about derelict mothership, it'd be nice if it turned into an abandoned station that you could store your fleet after disabling it.  You could stock it for excursions. 

Please add an obvious way to locate where I have stuff stored.  Am I missing something in the intel tab?  I have noticed the "spending money on storing ships icon" but not when it's in a free location like an abandoned station. 

Please change map generation be "roundish".  Or at least equal in the up down distance as it is left right.  Perhaps even go for an artistic wispy blob shape?  The rectangle distribution with even star concentrations, (not counting.. the corner) gives a bit first pass and never came back.  Doubly so since the intel tab area to view the map is generally square shaped on most monitors. 

Thanks!

Phenir

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: QoL map requests
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2024, 04:14:14 PM »

Please add something like "space structures" on the intel tab that shows locations of abandoned stations I can store ships at, the cryosleepers, hyper shunts, and probably the derelict mothership too. 
I think something is already being done about this but don't quote me on it.
Please add an obvious way to locate where I have stuff stored.  Am I missing something in the intel tab?  I have noticed the "spending money on storing ships icon" but not when it's in a free location like an abandoned station. 
You aren't but there are only a few specific "free" storage locations, those being the handful of abandoned stations in the core worlds and your colonies.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2024, 07:38:55 PM »

You aren't but there are only a few specific "free" storage locations, those being the handful of abandoned stations in the core worlds and your colonies.
There's also the station at Sentinel, if I recall correctly, though that's often not in a particularly useful location.

Also, it doesn't really matter that there's only a handful of "free" storage locations; checking a menu to see what I have and where I left it would be significantly more convenient than running over to each of the abandoned stations in turn.

The tool-tip that comes up when you hover your cursor over one of your colonies in the Command > Colonies tab has sections for "Resources and Items in Storage and Stockpile" and "Ships in Storage." It's not perfect and it doesn't cover the abandoned stations, but it might help if you're looking for something you left at one of your colonies.

Until such a time as a complete list of the junk you've left lying around is added to the game, I would suggest picking one location and storing everything there if you frequently find yourself losing track of stuff that you actually care about - storage capacity at any given station or colony is practically unlimited, and past a fairly early stage of the game the cost of running across the Core, or even to an outlying Fringe colony, is pretty negligible.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 07:40:44 PM by Aeson »

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2024, 09:05:24 AM »

i would prefer if scavenging stations wouldn't make them disappear from the map and instead make them remain there for the remainder of the game. They add a lot of personality to the systems, and can actually help me realise to what places I've already been...

Plus they look cool.

And like what? Am I scavenging the whole freaking fifty square kilometres of a station? What am I freaking... Freaking... Freaking scavengeman?