Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can I stop paying tariff in my own colony??  (Read 1989 times)

TK3600

• Captain
    • View Profile
Can I stop paying tariff in my own colony??
« on: July 01, 2024, 04:38:06 PM »

I mean, I am not taxed to take stockpile from resources, I just pay item price, yet in the open market I am. That makes commerce a downgrade in terms of no commerce industry? Why is government being taxed by itself? And if I get taxed, why am I not getting the tax money back in terms of income? If tax money is not going to me, where is it going?

On related topic, why is black market in accesible to colony owner? There is clearly a blackmarket there, given there are smugglers. Although personally I rather having options to legallize certain items, because it is my own colony.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 04:44:06 PM by TK3600 »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Can I stop paying tariff in my own colony??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 05:25:27 PM »

Open Market is not yours, despite being on your colony.  It belongs to the Independents.

TK3600

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 06:20:26 PM »

The market is not mine, as in I cannot dictate price like my resource stockpile. The one charging tariff is certainly my government, unless you have proof otherwise.

Dadada

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 12:20:47 AM »

Well...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 12:30:35 AM by Dadada »

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 10:13:00 AM »

I'm sure the devs probably plan to fix this eventually. But I was really disappointed by how little the Commerce actually does. I was expecting it too pretty much transform my colony into an alien entity that I would have to negotiate with...

But paying tariffs makes sense. I think you're not selling to yourself... You're selling to whatever traders are out there. And... I don't know... They are represented as an embassy or something? And want you to pay tariffs cause? Or maybe it's about paying taxes to your own dominion and maintenance costs? Because being the owner doesn't put you above the law?

majorfreak

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2024, 06:04:33 PM »

I mean, I am not taxed to take stockpile from resources, I just pay item price, yet in the open market I am. That makes commerce a downgrade in terms of no commerce industry? Why is government being taxed by itself? And if I get taxed, why am I not getting the tax money back in terms of income? If tax money is not going to me, where is it going?

On related topic, why is black market in accesible to colony owner? There is clearly a blackmarket there, given there are smugglers. Although personally I rather having options to legallize certain items, because it is my own colony.
you could try "dynamic tariffs" but i'm sure you're playing vanilla only.

TK3600

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2024, 07:49:34 PM »

Well...
Lower case independent. It means the market is independent of player's direct control like stockpile. It does not belong to Independent faction, which is capitalized.

Besides, tariff is still going to the government. Why else is Hegemon patrol on my tail for my tariff dodge, if Hegemon dont earn the tariff?

Phenir

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2024, 08:18:22 PM »

Well...
Lower case independent. It means the market is independent of player's direct control like stockpile. It does not belong to Independent faction, which is capitalized.

Besides, tariff is still going to the government. Why else is Hegemon patrol on my tail for my tariff dodge, if Hegemon dont earn the tariff?
Besides independents not actually being a single faction and just displayed that way for the sake of the game, having commerce on your colony can trigger a system bounty paid out by independents.

majorfreak

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2024, 09:35:42 PM »

Well...

Besides independents not actually being a single faction and just displayed that way for the sake of the game, having commerce on your colony can trigger a system bounty paid out by independents.
And dynamic tariff's mod will adjust your colony's single commerce facility (one per system) tax rate based on your standing to the independents, at least that's my literal experience.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2024, 04:57:33 AM »

Factions that are not majors are not always capitalized.  Not just "independents" but "pirates" too.

kaoseth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2024, 09:50:55 AM »

I was really disappointed by how little the Commerce actually does.

You get so much more money from the colony per month. 25% may not seem like much but when you have large outflows of cash this 25% is quite a bit. 

Also that planet will sell ships and weapons from your blueprint list.  Just make sure it also has heavy industries. 

Lastly, You get access to super cheap commodities (*like any other colony) when the colony is overproducing.  So you can buy from your colony, put it directly in your storage, and sell elsewhere when there's enough of a demand at another location. 

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2024, 10:25:07 AM »

Rename it to "Overhead" for owned markets.

Underwear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2024, 02:04:11 AM »

Well...

Nope, "Independent" is literally a faction in the game and as such "Independent" being its name transforms the word from a noun into to a pronoun, ergo the uppercase "I". If one is referencing a subject using the word as an adjective or a shorthand noun (e.g. referencing an subject or subjects in general without mentioning affiliation), then a lowercase "i" is appropriate.

prav

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2024, 03:54:20 AM »

The in-game faction uses a lower-case letter: "displayNameWithArticle":"the independents", - while a faction like the Hegemony uses a capital letter in the same field: "displayNameWithArticle":"the Hegemony",.

A most insightful grammar lesson otherwise, I'm sure.

Phenir

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2024, 06:56:01 AM »

Well...

Nope, "Independent" is literally a faction in the game and as such "Independent" being its name transforms the word from a noun into to a pronoun, ergo the uppercase "I". If one is referencing a subject using the word as an adjective or a shorthand noun (e.g. referencing an subject or subjects in general without mentioning affiliation), then a lowercase "i" is appropriate.
Reading comprehension my friend. I know "Independents" are a faction in the game. I'm saying in-universe, they are not and are just a bunch of individual polities that somehow manage to not get subsumed by PL or heg. It's just that having like 20 extra factions to represent each planet would be really stupid so we, as players, just get them all lumped together as Independents. So this market, that isn't affiliated with anyone, would fall under the Independents, regardless of it's capitalization.
Also, independent isn't a noun in this case (independent market), it's an adjective. and Independent isn't a pronoun, it's a proper noun.
Pages: [1] 2