Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Author Topic: Ignore Slipstreams  (Read 653 times)

Lilly112

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ignore Slipstreams
« on: May 25, 2024, 03:48:33 AM »

Is there any way to bypass or ignore the Slipstreams? They get annoying when you are traveling along and then hit a big one in the opposite direction and lose like two days of travel.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
Re: Ignore Slipstreams
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 04:10:44 AM »

Read the "Wormholes and Sundry" blogpost.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Lilly112

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 06:01:29 AM »

So, the answer here is "Not really, no"

Phenir

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 06:50:00 AM »

How do you lose so much time? Turn off sustained burn before you enter them at least.

A_Random_Dude

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 07:15:03 AM »

Slipstreams are meant to be an integral part of hyperspace travels, but... that's not quite what the blogpost says. You can unlock an ability that lets you go in the opposite direction of a given slipstream provided you scan enough planets/black holes and other stuffs like it.
There's also the ability to generate slipsurges, which launch you in a direction of your choice. The distance varies according to the star type you're using to create it, but can otherwise count as a possible way to "ignore" some of the slipstreams you'd find by traveling normally.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 07:27:14 AM by A_Random_Dude »

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 07:28:32 AM »

Emergency burn lets you cross them with minimal course deviation at the cost of some supplies and fuel.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 07:23:15 PM »

Slipstreams become a lot more tolerable once Reverse Polarity is acquired.  Too bad it is rather high on topology (even if not as high as Slipsurge) and it takes a while to learn.  (I get Polarity/Slipsurge abilities late in the game.)

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2024, 07:57:34 PM »

I have to assume you just completely ignored the Reverse Polarity part of the blogpost.

Slipstreams become a lot more tolerable once Reverse Polarity is acquired.  Too bad it is rather high on topology (even if not as high as Slipsurge) and it takes a while to learn.  (I get Polarity/Slipsurge abilities late in the game.)
Just remember to make pitstops at blackholes and make sure to scan both the edge and center of them and you will hit 700 topography pretty easily. It's 55 topography in total for each black hole and neutron stars are an additonal 15 + possible research station.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2024, 08:47:15 PM »

I know about black holes and neutron stars (and other sources of topology).  Those drain CR very fast (inside pulsar beams, over a black hole).  I generally do not want to do that when I cannot afford the CR hit and/or supply drain.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2024, 09:50:58 PM »

You can also get scan the center of nebulas, binary, and trinary systems (20 and 30 respectively iirc), every magnetic ring, and every gas giant. And from surfing slipstreams to go fast (I got +40 just recently, 2 +20 individual events, from riding one from the edge back to the core). Oh, and Ion Storms in gas giants, while rare, give +50.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2024, 10:07:23 PM »

Is there any way to bypass or ignore the Slipstreams? They get annoying when you are traveling along and then hit a big one in the opposite direction and lose like two days of travel.

How do you suddenly hit a massive slipstream going in the opposite direction?

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2024, 07:24:58 PM »

How do you suddenly hit a massive slipstream going in the opposite direction?

Happens to me every once in a while, usually when a storm pushes me into it and I can't hit emergency burn fast enough.

Beep Boop

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2024, 08:27:59 PM »

If you kill Sustained Burn, the slipstream won't overpower your ship as easily and you won't move nearly as far before pushing through to the other side.