Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: [completed] Migrating the unofficial wiki from Fandom to wiki.gg  (Read 5969 times)

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
Re: [completed] Migrating the unofficial wiki from Fandom to wiki.gg
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2024, 10:35:56 PM »

I actually had no idea Fandom was so totally reviled, I'd expected there to be at least some disagreement.

Fandom, especially in the past five years or so, has become genuinely unusable on many mobile devices or other browsers that don't have extremely tight javascript blocking. And implementing those blocks can have a serious effect on usability.

So, yeah, it's more or less completely reviled at this point. Any fandom (heh) with a serious interest in maintaining a reference has been making moves to migrate away from Fandom for several years now, and the exodus will only accelerate. Sadly, Fandom has captured the Google SEO, so it will remain like a blight for some time to come, until or unless views decline.

I'm very glad to see this happen! Thank you to everyone who worked on it.

And now, hmm... it might be time to make a page about Opis and the Chartery, thanks to everything we've learned in .96 and .97...

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2024, 06:09:57 AM »

Very nice! Now I can easily reference obscure details as I write for the game!

I mean, uh, use my own notes. Yeah.

Aerolfos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2024, 09:32:24 AM »

Just want to second that it's indeed wonderful. I actually started using the antifandom option in the indie wiki extension because of the Starsector wikia, the info was good but the layout horrible.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2024, 04:09:13 PM »

So i was playing. And i left the wiki up after looking something up...

And it didn't *** wreck my PC.

Good lord its nice

Okay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2024, 04:29:27 AM »

I don't think regular users can change this and I'm not sure where to bring this up on the wiki so I post it here, but I believe the "Skills" page should be in the "Information for players" sidebar.

Otherwise, new wiki is fantastic. Quality and presentation is leaps and bounds above the old wiki. I love it, old one was a chore to use. Great job everyone!

unlitoutsource

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2024, 06:03:14 AM »

I have difficulties accessing the following page on the new wiki:
https://starsector.wiki.gg/wiki/Starsector.log
This one always gets me the error message from cloudflare telling me I have been blocked and I cannot access the wiki.

Strangely, I can access other wiki pages without problems.

I can only speculate, but I suspect that mediawiki does not like the period character in the page's name. Perhaps a wiki admin could check that...

Thx & Regards,

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2024, 08:03:40 AM »

It might be that. I vaguely recall that you could use, say, .zip domain to create some convincing phishing links.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2024, 08:47:20 AM »

Moved the page to https://starsector.wiki.gg/wiki/Starsector_log_file

A bunch of pages (but not all, curiously) with file extensions were affected, e.g. ".ship_File_Overview"
Unfortunately the Cloudflare block applies to the original page even though it's just a redirect now, so people will have to find the new URL manually. :(

unlitoutsource

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2024, 11:38:05 AM »

Thanks for the quick help. The new page name works and the wiki search picks it up, too.
In a while the search engines will pick that change up, as well, I would guess. There might even be a way to tell the crawlers explicitly that the wiki has moved...

Regards,

jaaqov

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2024, 07:35:52 AM »

Greate move!
While checking the new wiki and browsing some pages for ships, I came to the section of "loadout tips" (i.e. Eagle) - while there is a note, that the loadout is perhaps not up2date of the current patch, there is no indicator for what patch this loadout was created. Perhaps you can add this as a mandatory info so a new player (like me) can check the loadout, see that its perhaps two patches old and then check the patchnotes to see if the loadout was/ is affected. 

For example something like that: The following section contains user-submitted suggestions, these may be inaccurate or outdated. The showed loadout was created for patch 0.97a-RC11 - check the patchnotehistory (link to the subpage with the patchnotes).

Just a quick input. Good work guys/ gals.

coldiceEVO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2024, 06:19:56 PM »

Where is comment? How can a lazy one put some stupid brain fart so others can respond?

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2024, 05:37:25 AM »

Where is comment? How can a lazy one put some stupid brain fart so others can respond?
you mean... Like u just right now?

A_Random_Dude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2024, 08:28:13 AM »

He probably means comments on the wiki pages. Like those you could leave on the fandom version.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2024, 06:25:56 PM »

Early impression is we're probably not adding a Fandom-style comments section since people treat them like a comments section on, well, typical social media sites, which is to say the main purpose is to post funny or "funny" comments.

Currently anonymous users (i.e. not logged in) can't create a wiki Talk page (how 'normal' discussion of the page proper is intended to take place on MediaWiki), I'll submit a ticket for that if it turns out to be needed.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2024, 05:05:09 AM »

Early impression is we're probably not adding a Fandom-style comments section since people treat them like a comments section on, well, typical social media sites, which is to say the main purpose is to post funny or "funny" comments.
god forbid we allow people to express themselves.

though wikipedia doesn't have comments either, so it makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 05:09:20 AM by Killer of Fate »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6