Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: [completed] Migrating the unofficial wiki from Fandom to wiki.gg  (Read 5948 times)

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll] Migrating the unofficial wiki from Fandom to wiki.gg
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2024, 06:13:43 AM »

Yes, and make sure that you gut or take down the fandom wiki.
About as close to useless as possible, considering it'll 1) get the editor banned by FANDOM staff for vandalism 2) FANDOM staff will revert the changes

As long as all editors move on to a new wiki, the fandom one will naturally grow outdated on its own.

Phenir

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2024, 04:51:36 PM »

Yes, and make sure that you gut or take down the fandom wiki.
About as close to useless as possible, considering it'll 1) get the editor banned by FANDOM staff for vandalism 2) FANDOM staff will revert the changes

As long as all editors move on to a new wiki, the fandom one will naturally grow outdated on its own.
Yeah, just look at the deep rock galactic wiki. The fandom is completely vandalized and outdated.

Demoncard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2024, 02:06:41 AM »

Name: Jimmy Ganymede
Open a comm link
"Attention, reader! You, and all your possessions are now my personal property! Any resisting ship will be disabled, boarded and donated!"

You decide to...

1. Cut the comm link. [Esc]

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2024, 04:47:10 AM »

Question:
In the second question of the survey you ask "Are you involved in any Starsector communities (including the wiki)?"
What do you mean by "involved"? Does posting in this forum count as "involved"? Or is that about people who create things like mods or wiki-entries?
(Sorry that I'm confused, it's not my first language.)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2024, 04:52:49 AM »

I chuckled at that question since from the wording "involved" seems to specify people who are active on forums, discord, reddit, and such about Starsector. But people who aren't browsing topics about it online wouldn't have even stumbled upon that poll in the first place.

Unless two people irl talk and one goes to the other "Yo man check out this sick poll that was posted online."
Please don't take me too seriously.

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2024, 06:01:37 AM »

Jump ship and never return to that place. Hell, minecraft wiki people made a plugin that redirects fandom links to new wiki or something.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2024, 06:09:46 AM »

The majority of players of any given game will never write anything on the forum of a given game (or its discord, reddit) or will write like 1 or 2 posts.

DistressBeacon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2024, 07:17:45 AM »

I say aye. The Domain AI in charge of the Fandom network keeps spamming ads for corporate overlords that no longer exist. These ads slow down my tri-pad, delaying my ability to access the black market in a timely fashion and capitalize on trade!
Pirate fleet pursing your fleet

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2024, 11:03:51 AM »

I dunno guys, I've seen a lot of good changes in the Starsector fandom wiki. The information is actually getting updates. And going back over there to vandalise it just for the sake of some stupid edgy performance art would be *** mean.

If you'd like to go and make a new wiki, you can go ahead and do it. But I don't see a reason to attack other people's work, especially when they seem to be doing a good job. Fandom is crap, I understand. The ads are obnoxious. But there's a myriad of articles on it already. And like, I dunno... On PC it's relatively usable. But yeah, I wish it was more barren like wikipedia. Definitely helps visually.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 11:54:09 AM by Killer of Fate »

Planetace

• Ensign
  • Currently suffering from "Big Number" Syndrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2024, 03:01:59 PM »

I dunno guys, I've seen a lot of good changes in the Starsector fandom wiki. The information is actually getting updates. And going back over there to vandalise it just for the sake of some stupid edgy performance art would be *** mean.

If you'd like to go and make a new wiki, you can go ahead and do it. But I don't see a reason to attack other people's work, especially when they seem to be doing a good job. Fandom is crap, I understand. The ads are obnoxious. But there's a myriad of articles on it already. And like, I dunno... On PC it's relatively usable. But yeah, I wish it was more barren like wikipedia. Definitely helps visually.
Vandalisation is a step too far, for sure, but migration is possible and not at all difficult. You literally can copy and paste the articles from one to the other, and with more freedom setting up the new wiki shouldn't be too difficult... also, I personally prefer wiki.gg over wikia because of how you can customise the layout, Terraria wiki's have spoilt me and my wiki tastes.
Hey, while you're here, why not try out my mod - Astral Ascension, a mod that uncaps colony size limit.

Killer of Fate

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2024, 03:14:39 PM »

in that case you need to reach out to whomever wrote those articles... Which could be troublesome, good luck with that.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2024, 03:34:17 PM »

also, I personally prefer wiki.gg over wikia because of how you can customise the layout, Terraria wiki's have spoilt me and my wiki tastes.

UESP (Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages) while sporting a pretty boring design, is one of the most in-depth and technical game wikis I've ever seen, despite Elder Scrolls games not being all that technical themselves. For every attribute a formula is provided; every entity or item has an ID listed; all quest stages are numbered, etc. It's quite amazing to use.

in that case you need to reach out to whomever wrote those articles... Which could be troublesome, good luck with that.

Well, not really.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: [completed] Migrating the unofficial wiki from Fandom to wiki.gg
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2024, 07:21:32 AM »

Update: We've moved!
So the poll has run for six days now and we have the results:

Out of 835 responses:
  • 821 (98.3%) in favor
  • 3 (0.4%) opposed
  • 11 (1.3%) don't know/no opinion
I actually had no idea Fandom was so totally reviled, I'd expected there to be at least some disagreement.

Anyway I'm happy to announce that the forked wiki has gone live at starsector.wiki.gg! Thanks to Kelenius, TheWikiFish, and other contributors (like wiki.gg admin Westgrass, who almost singlehandedly created the current appearance) for making this possible.

We hope you enjoy the new look, the greatly reduced ad count, and a little new content as a cherry on top. If you're looking to contribute, see our guide for some useful information.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 07:36:35 AM by Histidine »

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2024, 08:27:44 AM »

Just checked it out. Mobile experience is literally 1000x better. The only quibble I have is that all the links to ships, weapons, etc. aren’t listed at the bottom like Fandom when you’re in that category. That was a nice ease-of-access feature. If it can’t happen, no biggie but thought I’d mention it.

Thank you and well done!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2024, 10:21:16 AM »

Congratulations on the move! Have to say, I'm shocked by how near-unanimous the result of the poll was, that's a rare thing to see.

I've updated the wiki links in the FAQ to point to the new wiki location. (After a kind soul sent me an email reminder that the FAQ actually linked to the wiki.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6