Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Simulator Enhancements  (Read 5444 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Simulator Enhancements
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2024, 02:34:18 PM »

Oh, and Java upgrade, nice! Do you have any plans for doing something similar for Apple Silicon? Himemiko did a conversion kit for those as well. I realize us mac laptop players are probably a very small minority compared to windows/linux though!

Honestly, wasn't thinking about that - maybe in the future? It'd be more difficult to test and all, and it'd also be an extra (4th) build to provide. Hopefully the Java 17 upgrade will help even if you're running it through... whatever the emulation layer is.

Makes total sense! The performance even through the emulator on J7 is pretty good; better than my 7 year old desktop "we totally support openGL we swear" AMD rx 580 graphics card can do for sure. So I don't think this is high priority.

JenkoRun

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 03:20:06 PM »

That info on the data carrying over between saves, could we get something like this for custom ship loadouts in the future? I've always found it bothersome that my favorite loadouts needs to be made from scratch again per save game, loving the changes and the move to Java 17 has me just as excited.

xenapan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 03:43:43 PM »

Very excited for both the Sim changes and the Java upgrade (moreso the Java :P)

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 03:50:53 PM »

Needing AI cores on hand to simulate AI core officers seemed a bit ??? from a gameplay perspective, though it does make sense that whatever onboard computers you (presumably) use to run the simulator cannot easily simulate a dozen+ alpha core level AIs. And a simple config option can turn it off, so no problem either which way.

Selfcontrol

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 04:31:24 PM »

Integrating a gameplay side (AI cores "piloting" simulations of Remnants) into what is a QoL improvement is something I really really really dig !

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2024, 05:02:43 PM »

Thank you, everyone! :)

Very insightful post, thanks! Having used the simulator a bunch in my last run to try out new things (instead of just picking the same old builds I always go for), I can definitely appreciate the enhancements. I do think a couple of alternate ways to get access to ships might be neat (not to scope creep what's intentionally a small feature, just throwing them out there):
  • Getting a commission/certain amount of rep from a faction could give you that faction's entire list (helps to address the "friendlies" problem)
  • Bounty missions you get from story quests or maybe even bars could come with them
  • Maybe the Sensors skill lets you pick them up from derelicts

All in all, looking forward to toying around with it, and seeing my list grow like a trophy case.

Hi, and welcome to the forum, by the way :)

Hmm, I could see doing something like that, but I also don't want to make the whole mechanic too involved, it's just not meant to be that big a deal. And one could see, for example, if getting a commission unlocked all the ships, how someone might feel compelled to speedrun doing that for all the factions, I don't know.

Meta-mechanics come with a huge load of baggage in terms of incentivizing weird and un-fun player behavior. Maybe there's a good way of doing it, but I want to keep it pretty lean.

...what about the mothership?

Ah, crap - made a note, I have to double-check what actually happens here. It should *not* be available, but at a guess, it probably currently is. Thank you for mentioning it :)

Edit: wanted to mention, Java upgrade sounds good! Yes it's good for 32-bit compatibility, in case people are still using it; I myself play on a desktop that is over a decade old (though it's 64-bit), so there are probably quite a few people who are managing to squeak along on older computers.

Cool! Yeah, I know some people play Starsector on, ah, some flavor of root vegetable and I wouldn't want to nuke 32-bit support unless there was significant upside to it.

Makes total sense! The performance even through the emulator on J7 is pretty good; better than my 7 year old desktop "we totally support openGL we swear" AMD rx 580 graphics card can do for sure. So I don't think this is high priority.

Thank you for understanding :) And, that's cool about the emulator performance, it kind of blows my mind how good these things have gotten.

That info on the data carrying over between saves, could we get something like this for custom ship loadouts in the future? I've always found it bothersome that my favorite loadouts needs to be made from scratch again per save game, loving the changes and the move to Java 17 has me just as excited.

I've got a note to maybe look at that at some point; it gets annoyingly complicated with modded weapons (which may or may not be loaded, if this exists outside the context of a save) and other such. Which, I mean - on the surface some similar concerns here, but imo more straightforward to handle.

Very excited for both the Sim changes and the Java upgrade (moreso the Java :P)

Haha, fair :) I'm pretty excited about the Java, too! I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's just so buttery smooth right now in comparison.

Needing AI cores on hand to simulate AI core officers seemed a bit ??? from a gameplay perspective, though it does make sense that whatever onboard computers you (presumably) use to run the simulator cannot easily simulate a dozen+ alpha core level AIs. And a simple config option can turn it off, so no problem either which way.

*thumbs up*

Integrating a gameplay side (AI cores "piloting" simulations of Remnants) into what is a QoL improvement is something I really really really dig !

Cool! I want to go easy with that sort of thing in general (and hence the setting to turn it off), but this is one place where it felt worthwile to make an exception.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2024, 05:18:24 PM »

Re: unlocking allied ships

You could maybe unlock if you fought WITH them or had a commission and sufficient rep. IE as soon as you were able to purchase that ship from the military market. The through line is “I have seen this ship perform or I have access to the ship to examine”

Also: I don’t think this needs to be a meta thing. I am fine unlocking sim every playthrough.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 05:56:20 PM »

Oh, yeah, fighting alongside allies is always fun. One of the best parts of big pirate core invasions, especially when there is a system bounty. Both very profitable AND the player gets to fly around in a big battle way earlier than usual.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2024, 05:57:27 PM »

Is it still possible to deploy enemy ships from multiple factions at the same time, and if so, what happens to faction-default or Remnant-specific settings?

Two fleet options that might be useful:
- Save current selection (enemy ships and settings) for repeated tests

- Load a pre-defined fleet in the simulator, with officers and everything. Specific use I was thinking of: Say I encounter an unusual one-off fleet (like the phase assassin fleet in Project Ziggurat, or one of the various named bounties in mods), and the code can choose to save that particular fleet to simulator, so I can try fighting that fleet again later with a modified fleet or such.
Probably out of scope and would be better off implemented in its own (mod) feature with its own GUI, encounter handling code and such, but might be nice to have!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2024, 06:29:55 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking about "fighting alongside" and I'm not too sure about it - I feel like a lot of the time when that happens, I don't even get to see half the allied ships, assuming they even get deployed. Whereas if it's fighting *against* - yeah, sure, you might not see some of the less-important ships, but you're more likely to actually, really see the tougher ones.

Is it still possible to deploy enemy ships from multiple factions at the same time, and if so, what happens to faction-default or Remnant-specific settings?

You could do 2 deployments, or you could put those ships into the "Custom" category and deploy from there. In the latter case, you have the options for both officers and AI cores available, and they apply to the right type of ship.

Two fleet options that might be useful:
- Save current selection (enemy ships and settings) for repeated tests

Hmm. I mean, it saves the settings already - it remembers what you had set the previous time the dialog was open - but for ships, it doesn't. If you really wanted to, though, you could set the Custom category to contain the ships you want and press "all" (though that wouldn't handle selecting multiples of the same ship, and would be pretty clunky otherwise, too).

I can see the appeal of the idea. Not sure if I want to mess with all the extra UI properly supporting it might entail, though.

- Load a pre-defined fleet in the simulator, with officers and everything. Specific use I was thinking of: Say I encounter an unusual one-off fleet (like the phase assassin fleet in Project Ziggurat, or one of the various named bounties in mods), and the code can choose to save that particular fleet to simulator, so I can try fighting that fleet again later with a modified fleet or such.
Probably out of scope and would be better off implemented in its own (mod) feature with its own GUI, encounter handling code and such, but might be nice to have!

Yeah, definitely a bit out of scope, but also doable with a custom SimulatorPlugin.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 07:19:54 PM »

Praise Ludd! My prayers have been answered :)

The simulator was literally #1 on my "needs an overhaul" list and this makes me very happy. I like how you're approaching it with factions, custom fleets, officers, meta-progression, etc. No complaints whatsoever.

If it's not too much work, I'd love to see a few additional options as it pertains to enemy sim behavior (maybe under the Aggression menu):

- Play Dead: Ships are stationary and do absolutely nothing. Useful for weapons testing against armor.
- Shields Only: Identical to Play Dead with the exception that ships will try to defend themselves with shields. Useful for testing loadouts against various shield efficiencies.
- Defend: Ships are stationary but will rotate to face you and have full access to all their weapons, fighters, and shields. Useful for testing your ship's overall effectiveness in a controlled head-on fight.

As "spirited" as some of our balance discussions get, some standardized tools for weapons/balance testing would be most welcome. I guess you could also create some "test dummies" that perform the same function but I figured modifying ship behavior would be easier.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 07:22:25 PM by FooF »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2024, 07:31:05 PM »

Yeah, I was thinking about "fighting alongside" and I'm not too sure about it - I feel like a lot of the time when that happens, I don't even get to see half the allied ships, assuming they even get deployed. Whereas if it's fighting *against* - yeah, sure, you might not see some of the less-important ships, but you're more likely to actually, really see the tougher ones.

Well unlocking a faction only has to unlock ships you've seen battle data of. The ones you directly fought next to. Those ones you see deployed, even if you don't "see" them you still get their sensor data and telemetry. They send it to you.

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2024, 08:11:18 PM »

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the next release.
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2024, 08:20:50 PM »

Looks great!  :D

Gris

• Commander
  • Good day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2024, 08:23:51 PM »

Good day Alex and co!  :)
Thank you very much for upgrading Java for a better experience!
And also a better simulator for a better training!

Im kinda curious is the next update 0.97.1a or 0.98a?  :-\

I honestly don't care if you don't even continue the Galatia Main Storyline Even the Side Quests itself.
I just want more End Late game enemies to fight even Super Late End game enemies.
It's kinda getting stale by time to be honest.
Isn't that kinda sad the [SUPER ALABASTER] Deathritos and the Ziggy are being treated as a meme and a complete joke.
And a Punching Bag.

And also Domain Credits Endgame Money Sink in the endgame.
And pls also make atleast the abyss true end late game content since its only a placeholder and its midly disappointing.
And I kinda wish the [DOMAIN REDACTED] Should atleast be guarded by Very Strong Late Game Enemies.
It's not supposed to be in the hands on some space cavemen or the Player.
Imagine the Luddic Pathers turning it into a Battering Ram of Armageddon.

Its kinda Anticlimactic to be honest with you.  :'(

Anyways Im Looking forward for your Next Blogpost and your Next Update!  :D

« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:44:57 PM by Gris »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6