Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tie weapon health to armour values  (Read 406 times)

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
Tie weapon health to armour values
« on: January 22, 2024, 01:46:34 AM »

As the thread title suggests, if the ship has higher armour, then the weapons should have more health points, and converse. This would help shield shunt, high armour builds resist being perpetually stunlocked by direct damage to weapons, while still being a factor for lower armour ships. It is also logical, with more armour then weapons would in turn be more armoured. In these circumstances the argument could be made that armoured weapon mounts would be rendered useless, but if the armour bonus and recoil reduction bonuses were reversed, then armoured mounts becomes a lot more useful for longer ranged builds.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tie weapon health to armour values
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2024, 01:57:07 AM »

Armor is already king in this game. Armored weapon mounts, automated repair unit, and the new skill effect that repairs weapons under fire, all help shield-shunted builds.

If you stack s-modded ARU and elite damage control, your weapons take less than 1.5 seconds to fully repair and keep doing it while taking damage. Is that not good enough?

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2024, 01:58:57 AM »

Armor is already king in this game.
I swear i keep seeing threads about armor being underpowered because it doesn't regenerate.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 02:04:08 AM »

I think it's a new player issue. They see something being gone forever and HP bar moving down, and feel bad. Meanwhile you are still winning a battle you should have no business winning.

Armor has a fundamental issue of stacking with itself, the opposite of diminishing returns. High armor ships already have a very strong incentive to stack even more armor (and hull). It ends up being very all or nothing, you have little reason to put "just a little bit" of extra armor hullmods/skills, if you take one - you take all of them. The OP suggestion would only pigeonhole the builds even more.

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 02:10:15 AM »

I honestly wouldn't be against it if this were a specific buff to Shield Shunt.
Proof that you don't need to know any languages to translate, you just need to care.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 02:13:56 AM »

I don't see the point, since repair unit exists. Having your weapons disabled is an intended downside of armor tanking. There's already a way to mitigate this with hullmods and skills, why should it be free?

Princess_of_Evil

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 02:16:19 AM »

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 02:20:44 AM »

And? So we have a hullmod that fixes weapons being disabled, and then we also arbitrarily add a similar effect to another hullmod for no reason?

That's like saying accelerated shield effect should be included in the omni-conversion. Slower unfold speed is the intended downside of omni-shields, if you don't like it - pay extra for another hullmod. Weapons being disabled is the intended downside of running shieldless, if you don't like it - pay extra for another hullmod.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2024, 02:48:53 AM »

There's already so many ways to help with weapon durability and faster recovery I also don't see why we would need another mechanic on top of it all. Upcoming elite Damage Control is a good enough buff for Shield Shunt ships. Besides it wouldn't be fun to play against as well, imagine shooting a ship with everything you have and none of its weapons are going down.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Nettle

• Admiral
  • supplying bad takes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2024, 07:07:50 AM »

Armor is already king in this game.
I swear i keep seeing threads about armor being underpowered because it doesn't regenerate.

There's also a minority of players who don't tolerate anything but regenerating missiles for the same reason. Poor fellas.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2024, 09:06:59 AM »

One key point is that armor already *does* reduce the damage taken by weapons/engines. Only EMP bypasses the armor damage reduction.