Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98

Author Topic: Starsector 0.97a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 177937 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.97a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1440 on: March 14, 2024, 07:54:45 AM »

Now you're cooking :)
Please say there will be unique dialogue for each crisis/faction!
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: March 21, 2024, 11:21:19 PM »

I try to use the slipstreams a lot, and one thing that's always been bothersome is actually staying inside.  Could holding 's' drag you to the center?  Otherwise, I keep steering the ship using the mouse, which just feels ultimately futile.  If I could drift into the center, I could adjust by switching sustained burn off and on.  I'd even still get flung out if I hit a hard turn.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: March 22, 2024, 10:27:04 AM »

Are you generally keeping Sustained Burn on? That makes it *way* harder to control your fleet inside the stream. And conversely, E-Burn makes it a lot easier to stay in the stream. And - in case you aren't already doing it - generally the best way to do this is to hold the left mouse button down and "pull" your fleet in the direction you want it to go.

Also, if you time turning on Sustained Burn right, as you're exiting a slipstream (as in a break where a star system is in the way for example) you can keep all of your speed and not be stopped by SB activation as would be normal.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: March 22, 2024, 11:45:04 AM »

Are you generally keeping Sustained Burn on? That makes it *way* harder to control your fleet inside the stream. And conversely, E-Burn makes it a lot easier to stay in the stream. And - in case you aren't already doing it - generally the best way to do this is to hold the left mouse button down and "pull" your fleet in the direction you want it to go.

Also, if you time turning on Sustained Burn right, as you're exiting a slipstream (as in a break where a star system is in the way for example) you can keep all of your speed and not be stopped by SB activation as would be normal.

I'm doing all of this, and it's tiring.  Particularly because the game seems to forget now and then that I'm holding down the mouse button. Have to mash the mouse button to make sure the game is registering the intent to turn, and this actually tends to result in sharper turns.  Happens in slipstreams and out.  Out, it usually means I just go to a point and stop for no apparent reason, but in the streams,  it just means very inconsistent turning behavior.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: March 22, 2024, 12:36:03 PM »

Hmm, I suspect your mouse is actually on the fritz - this kind of behavior can be indicative of a hardware problem.

Mortrag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: March 22, 2024, 01:12:01 PM »

Hmm, I suspect your mouse is actually on the fritz - this kind of behavior can be indicative of a hardware problem.

It could also be some deception/illusion on the player's side, because I remembered something similar.

To test that I started the game, played around a bit with a slipstream and experienced the following:
If you enter a (sufficient wide) slipstream, your fleet gets sucked into it's stream and just "sails" with it for a certain period of time. And this period of time feels longer if you enter the slipstream with sustained burn on.
In the past I thought, entering a slipstream would break the "hold-mouse-button-steering", so I clicked repeatedly again to regain control. Now after your post Alex, I tried it again, kept the mouse button down, and noticed that I still could steer the fleet that way and it was just the slipstream who "caught me inside" for some time.

A possible source for this wrong impression is, that your fleet inside the slipstream looks like it happily follows a set course straight ahead.
If there would be a visual indication, that the fleet tries to escape the grip of the slipstream but it just can't, that would clarify things here.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: March 22, 2024, 02:08:21 PM »

I had a mouse with right click on the fritz juuust enough that it would cause my shields to screw up, so in the end I ended up rebinding 'q' to shields. Helps on a laptop too!

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: March 23, 2024, 08:04:24 PM »

That behavior has been there for years, across two separate computers, two mice, and one controller.

It's just become annoying since I use the slipstreams so much now.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: March 23, 2024, 08:12:34 PM »

Hmm, the only thing I can say is that this definitely doesn't happen in the general case. I don't know what might be happening that causes this for you, both in slipstreams and out, but perhaps it's something that's come along with you from computer to computer? Something like special mouse drivers/settings, some kind of software that briefly grabs mouse focus behind the scenes, I don't know. This really is not a thing that happens normally with the game, though!

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: March 23, 2024, 08:32:21 PM »

I haven't brought it up before now because I could never track it down to anything, and issuing a bug report like that is useless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: March 23, 2024, 08:47:51 PM »

That makes sense, yeah - I'm sorry that it's happening! It does sound quite annoying. Wish I had more to offer beyond "there's probably something causing it", ahem.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1451 on: March 26, 2024, 04:51:16 AM »

Weird question: Was the tutorial start changed at some point to start on 1 March instead of 1 January, or did I merely imagine this?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: March 26, 2024, 07:42:37 AM »

The dev mode quick start begins on January 1 since it skips the "time passing" stage of sector gen, that's probably what you're thinking. That stage lasts for 2 months and so makes you start on March 1.

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: March 26, 2024, 08:29:46 AM »

Weird question: Was the tutorial start changed at some point to start on 1 March instead of 1 January, or did I merely imagine this?

FWIW, Nex's Tutorial Start has definitely been doing the "start on Jan. 1" thing since at least .95. I'm guessing certain flags changed around there, since .95 had a lot of under-the-hood work done. And for some reason it's now invoking dev mode QS?

PizzaInSpace

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: March 28, 2024, 05:43:08 AM »

FWIW, Nex's Tutorial Start has definitely been doing the "start on Jan. 1" thing since at least .95. I'm guessing certain flags changed around there, since .95 had a lot of under-the-hood work done. And for some reason it's now invoking dev mode QS?

following this topic; will there be an opportunity for us to choose which faction we start in the tutorial? I would like to start in Tri-tach territory and just have them ask us to put down a pirate fleet amassing in Donn
Seeing a paragon with gigacannons and kinetic blasters scaring a radiant was very unexpected.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98