Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Colony Threat event  (Read 16900 times)

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
Colony Threat event
« on: May 07, 2023, 09:16:00 AM »

Hi Forum,

So I dont understand how am I supposed to battle these events. They seem extremely harsh and the penalties just keep racking up with more and more stability lost in a positive feedback loop. I already hate this new Colony Threat event especially when they start stacking up like Luddick Path and Pirates.
Is the intention that you are supposed to found a Colony when you have Paragons to deal with the Luddic Path/Pirate basess?
How do you guys deal with it early on?

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Threat event
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 09:21:00 AM »

You should be able to defuse the event by attacking fleets or bribing the pirates.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 09:31:41 AM »

I am just starting to experience Colony Threat stuff.

Few moments ago, my colony progressed to Low for -1/-10%, but there is no base to kill or anything else to seek-and-destroy to remove it.  Just a steady +3 that ticks up with nothing to stop it aside from maybe Kanta's protection.  I went to Kanta (after saving my game since I have no interest paying tribute to extortionists - pirates or any other faction ruler(s)), got an audience, but they simply took the money (basically saying not enough).  I feel like I want to sat bomb Kanta's world off their map and show 'em who's boss.

I hope major factions are not simply Pirates++.  So far from what I see, I like what we have now even less than what we have before (and what we had before was annoying enough), although I need to see what happens after my colony grows to size 4.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 09:44:34 AM »

I am just starting to experience Colony Threat stuff.

Few moments ago, my colony progressed to Low for -1/-10%, but there is no base to kill or anything else to seek-and-destroy to remove it.  Just a steady +3 that ticks up with nothing to stop it aside from maybe Kanta's protection.

Build a patrol HQ for -5 per month.  Only 1 per systems counts.  Military HQ is eventually size x3 as a negative.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 10:12:07 AM »

Build a patrol HQ for -5 per month.  Only 1 per systems counts.  Military HQ is eventually size x3 as a negative.
That is better.  I have a patrol HQ construction in progress before I exited the game.  Need to wait a bit before it gets finished.

Started with an orbital station (in case of pop-up raid like in older releases), then waystation (to generate supplies and fuel), then heavy industry (to build ships and weapons), and now patrol HQ (to hold my comm relay and more stability).

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 10:44:20 AM »

That is better.  I have a patrol HQ construction in progress before I exited the game.  Need to wait a bit before it gets finished.

Started with an orbital station (in case of pop-up raid like in older releases), then waystation (to generate supplies and fuel), then heavy industry (to build ships and weapons), and now patrol HQ (to hold my comm relay and more stability).

Yeah, I'm thinking build order is Patrol HQ first on your very first planet, since there are no pop up raids it looks like.  Although the +1 stability from the station is also important, along with ground defenses.   I had to clean out 2 pirate bases first before the default pirate gain was +3 per month (before it was like +8 or something).  However, its been several months and no more pirate bases have popped up that affect my colony system, so that seems good.  I did still have to deal with an AI core inspection personally, as that is unconnected to the Hostile Activity tracker.  I am worried about what is going to happen once I hit size 4 colonies though, when presumably Pathers will notice my 4 Alpha cores running 4 of my 5 planets, and multiple exploration goodies installed.

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2023, 01:27:18 PM »

Ye but the Pirates themselves generate like +12 while Patrol HQ only deducts -5. You dont want Military HQ as it takes a up an Industry slot. So I should just colonise a random planet for the sole purpose of that? I dont even wanna get started on the Luddic Path's base for -17. I truly hate this system. Colonies are like babies needing 24/7 micro.
Are you also supposed to start colonies when you have a jacked out 300 DP fleet or what?

Please do something about this bad system as soon as possible.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2023, 01:41:55 PM »

So far for me, pirates generate +3 (from my size 3 world).  I just got my Patrol HQ, and I have a net -2 for the moment.

You dont want Military HQ as it takes a up an Industry slot.
Military Base produces marines, and I do want marines for my eventual blueprint raids on the core worlds.

In previous releases, I generally want bases by no later than size 5, and I often get them on size 4.

I do not plan to use cores or use enough items for Pather cells because I dislike playing whack-a-mole with Pathers.  At least Hegemony can be wiped off the map, but Pathers are immortal zombies like pirates, at least that how it was in older releases.

Dostya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2023, 01:52:08 PM »

One High Command will stop pirate problems at the bottom of the meter for a three to four planet system. After that, keep your Pather interest low to avoid stability and accessibility problems until you can mitigate them. After your colonies have grown a bit (without any items or AI cores) and you can take the -2 stability/-20% access hit, get your Mining/Refining/Heavy Industry threesome planet set up with a nanoforge, a fuel industry with synchrotron, fix your fleet composition, and go loot the sector to the bedrock for shiny things while your threat hovers at "increased security precautions." Farm up a bunch of Alpha AI cores too. After that, make sure you've got lots of +stability modifiers, Alphas on governorship and Megaports, splash the items out, and go absolutely nutso with colonies and heavy industry. If you have enough money to continuously build a colony up from scratch, then you can make new ones all you like and they'll get up to speed after enough buildings are in place.

The only really big thing is to not get yourself more stability and access penalty than you can afford. This is the noob trap. The top of the threat meter is a pirate raid or active Pather cell attack, and frankly those don't matter if you've got your act together. You just don't want to be lingering in -3/-4 because that'll really hurt early colonies. The pirates because pirate raids were never the problem with pirate bases in the previous patch (the raids are anemic), and the Path because active Pather cells are a solvable problem.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2023, 04:37:45 PM »

There's ways to get protection from Kanta and discourage pirates, and to get the Pathers indebted and grateful to you also. :)

It's -very- story rich. I'm in love with the way this event system has added neat story and mission interactions into the colony mechanics.

float

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2023, 04:47:09 PM »

It seems like there aren't any ways to immediately reduce hostile activity other than destroying pirates inside a system that you own, even though the description says that any nearby system should also work. Well, I killed some pirates (and a pirate base!) in a system less than 1 LY from my home system and didn't get any hostile activity reduction. Hopefully the working range is looked into.

It'd be nice if there were other ways to immediately reduce hostile activity, e.g. destroying a pirate base anywhere or raiding/bombarding a pirate system.

Edit: evidently I'm missing something as the only thing Kanta's done for me is +2 monthly hostile activity.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2023, 04:50:05 PM »

It seems like there aren't any ways to immediately reduce hostile activity other than destroying pirates inside a system that you own, even though the description says that any nearby system should also work. Well, I killed some pirates (and a pirate base!) in a system less than 1 LY from my home system and didn't get any hostile activity reduction. Hopefully the working range is looked into.

(I'm fairly sure it says that you can destroy them near the system in hyperspace, not in nearby systems. It's the same sort of thing as for collecting system bounties; fights near the system in hyperspace count. But not in nearby systems. You should have a reduction for destroying the base, though - not points getting subtracted, but less points getting added every month. If the base was adding points.)

float

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2023, 04:56:42 PM »

(I'm fairly sure it says that you can destroy them near the system in hyperspace, not in nearby systems. It's the same sort of thing as for collecting system bounties; fights near the system in hyperspace count. But not in nearby systems. You should have a reduction for destroying the base, though - not points getting subtracted, but less points getting added every month. If the base was adding points.)

The text upon hovering over "Hostile ships destroyed" says "Destroying hostile ships in or near one of the systems with your colonies will reduce event progress". I actually didn't even consider that it would be hyperspace-only, but thanks for the clarification.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 04:58:58 PM by float »

KopiG

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2023, 05:57:16 PM »

So am I just supposed watch while my only planet goes into -3 and -4 stab and dies at the end? Why is there zero counterplay to this system?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2023, 06:52:59 PM »

Apparently you can run up Luddic Path effects to rather extreme levels (over 150 per increment) by using "0.95.1 levels" of AI cores. Screenshots by Astyrrean on Discord.

Spoiler

[close]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13