Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starsector stopped launching - Windows 10  (Read 1449 times)

Omnikuken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starsector stopped launching - Windows 10
« on: July 17, 2022, 10:27:39 AM »

Everything worked fine for the last ~2 months, but yesterday Starsector stopped doing anything. Using the desktop shortcut and folder .exe does nothing (no window, no error, nothing). I didn't change anything game-wise between last week and yesterday. Have to blame Win 10 for everything as always. Here's the .bat error

C:\Starsector\starsector-core>..\jre\bin\java.exe -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -Xss2048k -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=../saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=../screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=../mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.10.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassFormatError: Illegal method name "int.new" in class com/fs/starfarer/StarfarerLauncher
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(Unknown Source)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector stopped launching - Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 10:31:53 AM »

Hi - hmm, that looks strange. Is this vanilla or with mods, and have you replaced Starsector's java with a different version of it, by chance? Or edited the vmparams file? This looks like it's probably caused by trying to run the game with a version of Java that it doesn't support.

(If that doesn't ring any bells, I'd suggest trying a clean reinstall of the game - that is, manually deleting the folder prior to reinstalling, after copying off any saves/mods/screenshots/etc that you care about keeping, of course.)

Omnikuken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 10:51:21 AM »

Lots of mods and JRE 8. As said in OP : worked fine for months but just started to do nothing last night. Didn't do anything between it working (lots of mods and JRE 8 ) and it not wanting to do anything. It just refuses to start overnight. Still blaming whatever epic junk Win 10 is and it stealth updating stuff that breaks everything else.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 10:55:52 AM »

Yeah - I mean, it's either that or something getting corrupted, possibly.

One other possibility is to check for the JAVA_OPTIONS or _JAVA_OPTIONS variable being present in your environment. Usually that would make the game fail to start in a different way but I can just about see how it might do that what's happening here. Right now, that's the only way that comes to mind for something stealth-updating causing this error.

Omnikuken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 11:00:58 AM »

Some testing :

Reverting back to jre7 and removing mods folder > works fine
Only using jre8 and no mods > games doesn't do anything
Only mods on jre7 > starts-ish, gets to the blue loading bar but crashes to desktop with a java binary stopped responding

https://ibb.co/GcfgWVZ < screencap of the crash

Still wondering how it worked fine and just now decided to burn itself ....... No mods will be plain to play and jre7 gets a massive slowdown after some fights (like 10 FPS everywhere). Sad

I also don't see java_options in environment variables
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 11:10:31 AM by Omnikuken »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 06:55:36 AM »

Hmm - I don't think that's a crash, that's just the OS telling you that the program hasn't "responded" for more than a couple of seconds, but it should still finish loading if you wait.

Have you tried re-downloading java 8 from wherever you got it, btw? I mean, it's hard to imagine that something messed with the jre folder in the Starsector install, but this is kind of baffling, so might be worth a try.

Omnikuken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 09:55:01 AM »

Yes, I got a new jre8 install. Same thing as described. Most of the testing made after 1st crash and burn was with the new jre8

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 05:56:16 PM »

Quick check: What version is the JRE8 you used after the first time? The way I understand it, you're not supposed to use anything after u271.

Omnikuken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 07:28:27 PM »

It's apparently u333. Got u271 and will try that 1, will re-post/edit after some testing

EDIT : u271 with mods doesn't work (gets to the notcrash with "binary stopped responding", like before). u271 with no mods works fine (gets to the main menu and everything works so far). Apparently, something in my mod folder stopped working overnight with jre8 and now prevents the game from starting ......

EDIT 2 : "disable all" from the loader also works (unsurprisingly). Definitely some random junk in there died on me and now the fun part of finding which 1 begins

EDIT 3 : only loading the libs works, trying most of 0.95.1A-compatible with libs doesn't, that leaves at least 1 of those as the culprit

EDIT 4 : weird, adding each mod 1 by 1, save list, restarting the game, exit, add another, save, restart game, etc works like nothing ever happened > but dumping them all at once/enable all makes the game time out. Some wonky stuff is at hand

EDIT 5 : re-adding my entire mod list 1 by 1 instead of "enable all" got me back to where I was before posting the bug report. I'm more confused than anything, it somehow fixed itself after breaking nothing overnight .......
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:27:18 PM by Omnikuken »

Omnikuken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 03:57:01 PM »

Necroing my own thread with a new crash when trying to start a new campaing

255276 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CharacterStats.refreshCharacterStatsEffects(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CharacterStats.refreshCharacterStatsEffects(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.FleetFactoryV3.addCommanderSkills(FleetFactoryV3.java:1166)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.FleetFactoryV3.addCommanderAndOfficer sV2(FleetFactoryV3.java:998)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.FleetFactoryV3.addCommanderAndOfficer s(FleetFactoryV3.java:857)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.FleetFactoryV3.createFleet(FleetFactoryV3.java:414)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.EconomyFleetRouteManager.createTradeR outeFleet(EconomyFleetRouteManager.java:627)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.EconomyFleetRouteManager.spawnFleet(EconomyFleetRouteManager.java:487)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.RouteManager.spawnAndDespawn(RouteManager.java:619)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.RouteManager.advance(RouteManager.java:577)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.CoreScript.advance(CoreScript.java:140)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.title.TitleScreenState.dialogDismissed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.N.dismiss(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.K.dismiss(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.if.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.OoO0.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.Ò00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.oooO.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.V.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 06:15:26 PM »

There's a mod somewhere that's removing a skill, or trying to use one in its faction that doesn't exist.

Make sure all your mods are up to date, especially ones that modify skills like Quality Captains.