Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: [0.95a] Beyond The Sector - Endless Randomized Systems  (Read 169889 times)

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.95a] Beyond The Sector - Endless Randomized Systems
« on: April 10, 2021, 05:57:34 PM »

v0.6, for Starsector 0.95a

Download

So you've finished the main questline (for now) and explored every system in the Sector. What's left for a space captain to do?

With this mod, any Gate can provide endless exploration. At the cost of 5,000 fuel, you can create a round-trip connection to a random Gate anywhere in the galaxy. Threats and treasures are scaled for an endgame player, so be well-prepared before you venture Beyond The Sector!

Beyond The Sector is safe to add to existing games.

How It Works
Spoiler
[close]

Simply approach a Gate and you'll be granted a brief snippet of story which unlocks the ability to connect to random Gates. When you select the option, the mod generates a temporary star system based on one of three themes, filled with loot and possibly with extreme danger. While away from the Sector you won't be able to enter hyperspace, so you're limited to that particular system, and upon returning the temporary system is deleted.

Traveling beyond the Sector has its rewards - after all, you're the first vessel to make contact in over two centuries. Domestic and luxury goods acquired elsewhere become "exotic" when you bring them home, doubling their value, and even public data pulled from a foreign comm relay has value. And somewhere out there, greater treasures lie in wait...

New Questline Spoilers
Spoiler
Landed Cryosleeper

When in a foreign sector, planets that generate with Vast Ruins now have a chance to include a special mission. You'll know it by the distress signal. Securing the cryosleeper requires lots of marines, or a story point and an alpha core (not consumed). If you manage to actually repair and launch it, at tremendous cost in supplies, fuel, and heavy machinery, it will be added to your fleet; otherwise, you can use it to fill your holds with crew, marines, and organs.

Towing a cryosleeper to one of your colonies allows you to permanently place it in orbit. It provides all the usual benefits of a cryosleeper for the surrounding 10 light years, and allows that particular colony to reach size 7.
[close]

For now, this mod is largely a proof of concept - the next major step is to generate inhabited systems with randomly-generated factions. You might also see more unique loot questlines, and perhaps a special mission to a very familiar planet...

Changelog:
  • v0.6: End-of-month calculations now properly occur when you're in a distant sector. Distant stars no longer shift the Sector's center-of-mass by an absurd amount, fixing Accessibility bugs. Other minor bugfixes.
  • v0.5: Initial release.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 07:09:00 AM by Kentington »

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Beyond The Sector - Endless Randomized Systems
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 11:02:26 PM »

nex .95 and a new kentington in one day?

Apparently Christmas and my Birthday fell on april 11th this year

fotosina

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 07:01:14 AM »

Sounds cool! Thank you for your great mods and work!

PureTilt

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 07:05:51 AM »

nooo i just did almost the same thing, competition begins i guess.

PeepingPeacock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 10:22:44 AM »

Absolutely amazing mod, this idea has been floating around for awhile now and its finally here. Not only is it a great idea, it opens up a colossal amount of possibilities for mission events. I can't wait to play around with this. Thank you so much Kentington!

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 03:16:37 PM »

Can I add this to existing game?

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 03:19:14 PM »

It is safe to add to existing games - I'll update the post.

Pokpaul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 03:24:11 PM »

Funny how you can go from not knowing something existed to not being able to live without it.

N3V3R

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 04:22:30 PM »

i cant download it from google drives do you have a mirror? i have the same issue with captured officers and crew

Sanrai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 07:36:08 PM »

Found a bug. If your outside the sector at the end of the month, you don't get your monthly report. Instead it rolls over to next month.

Xeno056

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 08:43:10 PM »

Aww YES. Bless you Kentington. This was exactly what the next step after the campaign should have been. Uh, just to inquire though, any potential issues with adjusted sector or other mods that affect procgen that we should worry about?

ShpunkY

• Lieutenant
  • Just another piece of ***
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 08:51:19 PM »

now this is something i can get behind of

Kentington

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 08:55:35 PM »

Found a bug. If your outside the sector at the end of the month, you don't get your monthly report. Instead it rolls over to next month.

Thanks, will look into this!

Aww YES. Bless you Kentington. This was exactly what the next step after the campaign should have been. Uh, just to inquire though, any potential issues with adjusted sector or other mods that affect procgen that we should worry about?

That's a good question. This mod uses vanilla classes to create the new systems, so anything that works in the Sector should still generate normally here. I'd imagine the biggest issues would be lore-breaking (specific items/structures from modded factions showing up halfway across the galaxy), but please let me know if you do run into compatibility issues.

---

Also, wondering if anyone has run into the... ahem... overly purple systems yet and what their impressions are. ::)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:57:28 PM by Kentington »

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 04:06:30 AM »

Could you maybe add a config setting to make the jumps possible without the janus device? I would love to test this, but I'm not doing the entire galatian questline for it.

Nameless

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 08:36:09 AM »

nvm
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 08:45:04 AM by Nameless »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11