Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skills Feedback 2: Things You Miss from 0.9.1  (Read 3218 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Skills Feedback 2: Things You Miss from 0.9.1
« on: April 04, 2021, 03:55:00 PM »

So, while I do think that the new skill system will be better (once it's gotten some extra polish passes), there are some things I've noticed that I miss from before. In no particular order:
  • The old zero-flux speed boost at low flux levels. While there were various ways to 'cheese' this with beam builds, I mostly just used it as a way to keep speed up on approach with shields already active - and the lack of it has proven surprisingly problematic for piloting ships with 360 front shields. In absence of this skill, I'm finding the Sunder in particular to be much less fun to fly. ...I should try a Sunder with omni shield emitter, actually, now that that hull mod is no longer absurdly overpriced.
  • +100% damage for armor penetration calculations. Enemy ships feel a lot tankier in this version of starsector, and this skill being gone is probably one of the contributing factors.
  • +25% to vent rate. Another subtle one, but one that was just really nice to have for a player-controlled flagship. I'd very much like to see this one come back, perhaps as an elite modifier to some technology skill or something?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skills Feedback 2: Things You Miss from 0.9.1
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 04:02:58 PM »

Loadout Design 3, because extra OP is free after buying a new ship.  Currently, with s-mods, if your ship gains a d-mod after combat and you want it pristine again, your options are Restore (too expensive) or spend two to three story points to add s-mods on your replacement ship (also too expensive).  Last release, all I need to do to replace losses is order a new ship from Orbital Works and it spits out a new ship at bargain prices, with no need to add s-mods because they did not exist.

There is Field Repairs, but it works too slowly, and it is no good fixing up a fleet full of d-mods unless player is willing to wait years for Field Repairs to do its work.

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 07:02:48 PM »

I really miss the +15% rare finds for stations & domain finds. :(

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 07:07:39 PM »

I didn't find a single pristine nano forge :'(, or the mining buff item after exploring the entire sector.

Flet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 07:15:11 PM »

my ocd enjoyed being able to have my officers obtain the same combat skill loadout as me. Missile spec is a fun skill but to put it on officers requires skipping a skill (since i, and therefore they, all have to have gunnery implant and efficiency engineering, leaving me only 3 or 4 combat skills for us to take depending on whether i have level 5 or 6 officers)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 07:18:52 PM »

I think +25% vent rate and +25% missile speed are the things I used to always take that no longer exist (and Loadout Design technically, but hullmod baking means I now have more OP than I know what to do with).

On the flip side, things I didn't want to stick around but did anyway: Advanced Countermeasures

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 07:20:37 PM »

yeah with the rare find % gone and the fact that here is a larger pool of rare items, finding a specific rare item did become alot harder, but perhaps that is to balance the fact that there are two branching skill path you can go.

an explorer path and a smuggler path, if the explorer is able to consistently find rare items such are pristine Nano forge it may break the balance in the choice of going smuggler or explorer for the early game.

robepriority

• Captain
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 08:28:03 PM »

Is fleet repair really that slow?

I never notice.

trucane

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2021, 08:43:02 PM »

I didn't find a single pristine nano forge :'(, or the mining buff item after exploring the entire sector.

That's just criminal. I've yet to find a pristine myself and while I'm far from exploring the whole sector it's getting a bit ridiculous.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 08:53:22 PM »

That's just criminal. I've yet to find a pristine myself and while I'm far from exploring the whole sector it's getting a bit ridiculous.
In the end, I only found 4 corrupted ones too, where I used to find 20+. At least for the nano-forge, I can try to raid a core world to get it (although that's proving to be quite the project). For the mining item, I think I'm just out of luck on this save. Hilariously I've found 4 hypershunt taps that I can't seem to use either, but I did find 20+ colony items, just none of a few specific ones I wanted.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 09:00:32 PM »

I think +25% vent rate and +25% missile speed are the things I used to always take that no longer exist (and Loadout Design technically, but hullmod baking means I now have more OP than I know what to do with).

On the flip side, things I didn't want to stick around but did anyway: Advanced Countermeasures

Just in case you haven't seen it, the missile speed got folded into ECCM!

Things I miss: the skill that lowers the effect of D mods by 50%. I would use the recovery skills, that, and converted hangars (with only half penalties) to make crazy powerful fleets crazy quickly. Not entirely balanced tbh, but fun.

Drazhya

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 09:03:54 PM »

The projectile speed bonus technically isn't gone, but being attached to Ranged Specialization is incredibly inconvenient for plasma cannon cruisers.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 09:36:09 PM »

I also miss the +25% vent speed.  That plus Resistant Flux Conduits were a staple of my human piloted old builds.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 11:29:19 PM »

Bonus from old Targeting Analysis was only +50% to hit strength. If you aren't using frigates, Ranged Spec or Energy Weapon Mastery, then you don't really have damage boosters to make up for that.
I wish +25% vent rate replaced Systems Expertise's current elite bonus, which is just +30s PPT.
I also wish that 0-flux bonus at 1% was just a thing that everyone gets, mostly because AI often keeps shields up more than necessary.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2021, 12:50:16 AM »

-20% maint. cost from d-mods.
-50% effects from d-mods.
Trash may have been trash last version, but at least it was cheap and you could polish it a little bit.

Not having access to Industrial Planning and more than the base number of colonies is also a pain.
I suppose I'm not touching any ruins this go then.
Pages: [1] 2