Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need advice on colonies. Are they worth it?  (Read 25189 times)

DancingMonkey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on colonies. Are they worth it?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 01:33:37 PM »

My tip is that for the first colony you make, do it on a planet with 100 or less hazard that can produce food.

My 225 hazard planet was still pulling in a profit even with hazard pay on, so not sure what problem you are having there.

Pokpaul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 01:44:54 PM »

I used to make nice with the pirates because of getting tired of whack-a-mole with how fast new bases popped up. That situation has been somewhat addressed in 0.95a from what I can tell, don't get bothered anywhere near as much.

The issue I found with being non-hostile to the pirates was that they could still raid your system, but your patrols wouldn't fight them. Sure, they'll leave you alone, but those merchant convoys coming for a visit? Not so much, and now your patrols won't help them.

Economic disruption seems to be more prevalent now in 0.95, so I'm wondering about that trade-off, and be curious to hear anyone's experiences.

Babberdeggl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2021, 09:03:10 AM »

Is there a way to create a stable location, if a system has none?

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2021, 09:11:41 AM »

Yes, have an Alpha Core in your inventory and emergency burn into the star to click on it.

Very intuitive, I know.

Babberdeggl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 09:45:26 AM »

Yes, have an Alpha Core in your inventory and emergency burn into the star to click on it.

Very intuitive, I know.

Wow, you weren't kidding. I feel like such a fool now. What an obvious game mechanic.
Pages: 1 [2]