Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.52a (Released) - Patch Notes  (Read 317902 times)

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.52a (In Development) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2012, 09:13:24 AM »

Brawler needs more space magic.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2012, 09:24:42 AM »

Eh, I don't think it would be a monster. Probably pretty average. Let me clarify on the shield: I mean let it have a flux/damage of 1.0 or .8 like other midline ships, not let it be omni. Flanking would still = sad Brawler, but at least it could fire back due to the turrets.

It has a low flux capacity (and only 10 slots for it) so augmented engines would put a major dent in its offensive ability. Considering that even with augmented engines it would still be slower than almost every fighter it would still get swarmed and it would be only slightly faster than the wolf and lasher.

Integrated targeting only does +10% on a frigate... granted it only costs 2 points but it doesn't really do much.

Valhalla

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 06, 2012, 09:30:59 AM »

Why not simply add two back facing 65 degree-arc turrets, small ballistic, or even hard set a Duel MG/Vulcan on those points. (hard set as in non-removable weapon placement.)

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »

If hard set were possible maybe. It would open up a world of modding opportunities. Unfortunately no.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »

Not to pimp my own mini-mod (First one I've made!), but I've really been working on the Brawler problem:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=2060.0

I'm trying to fix it, but I'm building it as a "MK II" to keep it seperate for my testing.  If any of the changes are good and the devs wanna modify any of them for the real game, by all means do it.  I just want the Brawler to be an effective ship.  I think it really has potential.  I've kinda been able to recreate the strafing effect by modifying the Acceleration/Deceleration a bit and giving it limited-arc Forward Turrets instead of Hardpoints:

I've tried a lot of things independently.  So far:
-The forward turrets/arcs seem REALLY needed.  They help the brawler aim a lot
-The speed increase, obviously, is needed.  I've set it as equal to the Lasher for the time being.
-Slight maneuverability increase.  Again, I used the Lasher for reference.
-The shield-efficiency boost was needed as well.  How much can be toyed with, but I've been using 0.6, equal to a Hyperion, since they're forward-locked.

Some things I'm still going to try (Probably not all at once!) to see how they affect things are:
-Adding rear-only Small Ballistic Turrets for PD (OP will need to be increased to compensate)
-Changing the Small Universal to a Medium Ballistic (Medium Universal would unfortunately allow Pulse Lasers, MRM Pods, Pilums, and all sorts of shenanigans)
-Omni or 360-bubble shields (Far less efficient than the forward-locked ones)

I'm thinking the Small Ballistic PD Turrets will probably be good, but the other ideas are iffy and more of a "What if" experiment than anything else.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:58:58 AM by Nanostrike »

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2012, 11:07:02 AM »

I do like what you're doing, but I think slow buffing is preferable. Maybe start with the shields and see how it feels in vanilla for a while?
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »

Yeah, I know.  I'm just experimenting with it right now.

I just tried adding the two rear PD turrets and I really like it so far!  They're not some super-stop-all missile defense.  You actually have to skillfully maneuver or, due to the Brawler's shape and shields, you're gonna get clipped by missiles!  It promotes some skillful, careful flying.

I'll upload the latest test build to my mod topic.

EDIT: Playing with Acceleration/Deceleration as well.  Having high acceleration makes a ship able to move in a direction quickly, and deceleration lets them change direction quickly.  Having both makes it stop on a dime and get up to speed lightning fast, but that's not quite what I want.  So I'm giving it good Accel but only average decel.  It makes it kinda "Drifty", as it benefits you to start moving in a different direction than try to change all the sudden.  I might reverse it and see what happens.

I'm seeing which one of them I can tweak to get that "Back and forth" strafe that the Total Annihilation Brawlers have.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:39:41 PM by Nanostrike »

VikingHaag

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »

Alex, keep it arcady and fun, don't turn it into another Battlecruiser 3000 AD.
Accidents and 90% sabotage rate look like a *** move to casual player.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2012, 11:18:02 PM »

Alex, keep it arcady and fun, don't turn it into another Battlecruiser 3000 AD.
Accidents and 90% sabotage rate look like a *** move to casual player.

Uhm.

Alex, just build the game you wanna play. Don't do like Bioware that made the mistake of listening to it's fans.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2012, 01:18:34 AM »

The accident system sounds fine to me. No one will know for sure until it gets playtested, but in theory I am absolutely fine with harsh consequences for breaking a hard limit that most games wouldn't allow you to break in the first place.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 08, 2012, 05:10:27 AM »

limits and punishment for ignoring limits is 101% fine way to do things.

its much more better then system currently implemented in most games - hard limits without any chance to go beyond them.

90% sabotage is not fun way to fix uncrewed ships issue, pesronally i dont see any reason why ship with 399 of 400 crew cant fight and will selfdestruct (killing entire crew cos there is no single guy to carry pizza around)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 08, 2012, 05:12:16 AM »

limits and punishment for ignoring limits is 101% fine way to do things.

its much more better then system currently implemented in most games - hard limits without any chance to go beyond them.

90% sabotage is not fun way to fix uncrewed ships issue, pesronally i dont see any reason why ship with 399 of 400 crew cant fight and will selfdestruct (killing entire crew cos there is no single guy to carry pizza around)

It's because they need that pizza!!!  Or else they refuse to work for you :D

EDIT: Also a question here.

When multisystems come into play, are we going to see several supply convoys for each system, or just having one supply fleet that travels between the systems? Because, as i've seen so far, the supply convoys exit the system and despawn.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:19:17 AM by Upgradecap »

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2012, 05:58:08 AM »

I'm guessing the convoys would be going to and from "hub" worlds rather than just despawning perhaps. At least that's my theory

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2012, 06:54:53 AM »

or just having one supply fleet that travels between the systems?
I hope it is this option, with multiple supply fleets. I would hate to see just one TT resupply fleet roaming around the (5,10,20,50?) sectors.

craftomega

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2012, 07:16:44 AM »

Hey i know this is a reach... but i was wondering if you could add the ability to make new sectors. The modding community would go nuts if you did.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 45