Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Spriting.  (Read 3908 times)

Rhyden

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Spriting.
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

So, I didn't know if I should put this in this sub-forum or General Discussion. Anyways I'll get straight to the point; I want to try out spriting to create my own ships, see what I could do. What program(s) does everyone use? (also sorry if this is a nubcake question; never done any modding besides tweaking stats and ***)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: Spriting.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »

David uses Photoshop, and other spriters that use it agree that it is a good tool. I understand the process to be generally that you start at 4x the intended size, aligning to pixel boundaries for near-verticals and near-horizontals, and then reducing; which is sort of a hybrid of painting and pixeling;

I use Paint.NET because it's simple, but also has layers, and a lot of times I borrow from existing Starfarer art for the greebling, especially when I want sprites to look like they belong with other Starfarer ships. My process for Nomads was to create outlines in Inkscape, because it has good alignment tools and can export to bitmaps via the clipboard easily and quickly, and then do the painting and detailing in Paint.NET.

Other than that, it really comes down to artistic eye, and attention to detail. There are a lot of pixeling techniques outlined at the pixelart community on DeviantArt that I used to frequent, so I would reccomend that as a potential resource.

Can't think of anything else ~

SCore

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »

I use Gimp but I am terrible at art so I dont use it much.

Rhyden

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 05:07:40 PM »

David uses Photoshop, and other spriters that use it agree that it is a good tool. I understand the process to be generally that you start at 4x the intended size, aligning to pixel boundaries for near-verticals and near-horizontals, and then reducing; which is sort of a hybrid of painting and pixeling;

I use Paint.NET because it's simple, but also has layers, and a lot of times I borrow from existing Starfarer art for the greebling, especially when I want sprites to look like they belong with other Starfarer ships. My process for Nomads was to create outlines in Inkscape, because it has good alignment tools and can export to bitmaps via the clipboard easily and quickly, and then do the painting and detailing in Paint.NET.

Other than that, it really comes down to artistic eye, and attention to detail. There are a lot of pixeling techniques outlined at the pixelart community on DeviantArt that I used to frequent, so I would reccomend that as a potential resource.

Can't think of anything else ~
Alright sweet! Thanks for the well detailed response man. I'll check those and GIMP out( thanks again :O)

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »

I make ships with paint.net

it's very good for kitbashing.

"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Rhyden

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:05:28 AM »

I make ships with paint.net

it's very good for kitbashing.

That's what I want to try out first, thanks. ^^

megal00t

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08:09 AM »

indeed very powerful progams but still i like photoshop most :/. i don't know it feels smoother and easier for me.