Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why is capturing planets and stations not a thing in unmodded game?  (Read 26830 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

It might be conceivable that planets with 10^8 population or more can not be subdued by a handful of marines, but if it's only a small colony with 100k people, or even a outpost with 1000 crew, and I bring in 10,000 power armored marines back up by air support, I doubt they'd put up much of a fight.

Racionador

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Why is capturing planets and stations not a thing in unmodded game?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 05:21:42 PM »

i did not explored the entire game yet, but dont you can bomb a planet until everyone is dead and make a new colony on it?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 05:41:58 PM »

i did not explored the entire game yet, but dont you can bomb a planet until everyone is dead and make a new colony on it?
Yes, if you have the fuel, you keep nuking them until they disappear.  Or you can just raid spaceport then raid over and over again until they have a gigantic stability penalty that will keep them at zero stability for a long, long time, maybe long enough that they will decivilize eventually.  Sat bombing works immediately.  Raiding for the kill is a long term plan.

Sat bombing the planet (or wait until it decivilizes after prolonged zero stability) then build a new colony over the ruins is a roundabout way of taking over the planet.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:00:17 PM »

I expect the answer to topic title is "because it hasn't been implemented yet".

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 12:42:04 AM »

I don't recall what Alex said exactly about this stuff, but approximation is that he simply doesn't think this stuff belongs in the scope of the game. He doesn't want Starsector to become a strategy game at some point. It might be possible that he changed his mind about it or that he found a way to make invasions be engaging, but it doesn't seem like it's the case. I personally wouldn't mind not being able to conquer planets, if there were ways to control major factions in some other way, mainly to stop expeditions.

Racionador

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 06:17:05 AM »

I don't recall what Alex said exactly about this stuff, but approximation is that he simply doesn't think this stuff belongs in the scope of the game. He doesn't want Starsector to become a strategy game at some point. It might be possible that he changed his mind about it or that he found a way to make invasions be engaging, but it doesn't seem like it's the case. I personally wouldn't mind not being able to conquer planets, if there were ways to control major factions in some other way, mainly to stop expeditions.

but capturing planets dont sound like something that would make the game too ''strategy''

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 06:35:37 AM »

As it is now, killing off all other factions that bother you seems to have become the goal of some. If you can capture planets and stations, the game will become about capturing planet and stations.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 06:43:51 AM »

You can do that today if you have enough alpha cores to avoid your colony limits.  Sat bomb the planet, then shove a core into the new colony you build.  The only problem with killing too many core planets is constant pirate activity.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 06:50:40 AM »

Then in that case:

If you can capture planets and stations, the game will become about capturing planet and stations.

Racionador

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 07:54:22 AM »

Then in that case:

If you can capture planets and stations, the game will become about capturing planet and stations.
only if you set you personal objectives into that.

cerebus23

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 08:17:19 AM »

well in a "universe sandbox" capturing stuff is part of the sandbox.

but this has a story and the other factions are part of that so if you say start early game oblitering all the factions kinda breaks the idea that you violated the laws of the galaxy and everyone is out to get you if everyone is dead and piraterrs are almost as big a pita as the factions themselves being able to summon broken fleets.

and we can already depopulate and populate a planet and the only thing now is the stupid decivilized debuff pretty much negates the bonus of taking a core world, BUT as far as i understand it he intends to add a mechanic to remove decivilized, should just simply be paying to stabilize a place should do that, but the whole notion of "decivilized" and wtf is exactly going on is murky to begin with.

atm mods add the ability to raid stuff directly but its too easy, defenders should have a heavy modifier by default (home court advantage) and core and major worlds should have marines in the 1000s to bypass to take a colony. leveled up 1k marines will take out most planets in the modded game nm how much ground def they got. gives more a reason to level up that space and ground action skill though.

Either way the core game is going to have ways to take out colonies and recover them soon. so there is no real reason to rule out being able to do so more pro actively. embargos, attack, bribery, funding terrorists,  there should be a variety of ways to wear down a colony and topple it, and most if it should be required before you work up to a military attack on any world that is larger than say 5. minor worlds just toss marines at the problem early on. and unrest being a thing when you take over an enemy factions place should be a thing, as well as a option for genocide and resetting a good chunk of the planets population. :P

If they could pull some of that off along with honest to god diplomacy and decent faction AI, there would not be such a "drive" to commit so much genocide. Tone down the invasions stuff, add ways to negotiate tariffs and etc on trade or breaks to buff your standing with a faction, and so on. lest with the diplomacy mods the yo yoing of standing is so schitzo it hard to keep track and with every faction doing stuff, stuff get lost in the shuffle less your checking intel constantly, better UIs could help there or notification systems maybe.

But it is the limited interaction with factions and the AI is what pushes some of the genocide and taking over the universe stuff. need to be able to interact with them beyond we invade you if you do too well. and that is it you cant say tell flat out you invade me i will murder you. or offer some concessions in trade deals to smooth their anger with your success. vs raid, raid raids, got enough colonies your being raided all the time by everyone.

if it is a sandbox give us more sandbox not less conquest is part of that.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 08:24:56 AM »

I'd love to build and own colony-like starbases out in the middle of nowhere.

You could be like the pirates and run industries of raiding and scapping, or nice industries of privateering and freeporting.

Could be a nice mid step before actual colonies for the player to stuff his loot into.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 03:54:25 PM »

Then in that case:

only if you set you personal objectives into that.
Once you've done everything else, if you can, you will end up conquering. Many games are theoretical open sandbox, but if you can conquer, it always ends up about conquering.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 07:58:54 PM »

Because it's illogical and cheesy.
For the one that gets invaded they could really just execute scorched-earth policy and leave nothing behind for you.
Just like in lore, after the collapse everyone hide, jet or burn their blueprints so they don't fall into those who don't deserve.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 08:48:36 PM »

I expect the answer to topic title is "because it hasn't been implemented yet".

Yep! At least, it's something I want to experiment with and see how it works out, so, no promises, but it's definitely on my list of things to really dig into. That said, I wouldn't expect it to become the ultimate goal - at least not, ah, ultimately, though it might for a time - but that'd be because of *other* endgame things.
Pages: [1] 2