Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Factions could form temporary coalitions  (Read 468 times)

Windowlicker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Factions could form temporary coalitions
« on: August 16, 2019, 01:27:06 PM »

This is something I noticed during my genocide run. If some truly unstoppable force of nature started tearing through the galaxy (either nuking planets or crazy market shares like 50%), then I think despite each faction hating each other they would put their differences aside temporarily for a common goal to destroy the monopoly faction.
The notification could look like "Hegemony-Luddic Church coalition formed" and so forth, and then there'd be some flavour text about the reason why, similar to the flavour text when factions raid your system.

It would be the same mechanic as the hostilities system but in reverse, so perhaps when the coalition is formed it would put the reputation for both factions at 0 and then any infractions - even minor ones like fleets not having their transponder on enough times - would reduce it until the coalition is broken around -25 rep or so. I think this would be pretty easy to implement and make the game world much more dynamic.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:30:21 PM by Windowlicker »

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Factions could form temporary coalitions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 01:56:42 PM »

I'm not sure if Alex is considering going more in-depth on Faction diplomacy and such in the vanilla game, however if you're looking for something with more of a 4x-style faction diplomacy experience you might want to check out the Nexerelin mod. Not sure if it has "faction threat" as a modifier for other factions creating alliances with each other against the threatening faction, but it does have alliances and a much more intricate system of faction diplomacy in general since it's meant to emulate 4x features.